Here's How I.... > Cook Pork

Char Siu - Chinese BBQ Pork

(1/6) > >>

Ralphie:
Char Siu is the roasted Chinese pork we all know that is red on the outside (Cantonese, I believe). It’s found in pork fried rice and often a similar preparation is made for Chinese spare ribs.

With inspiration from my Chinese-American friend from Dallas (a helluva pit master), along with a little research, I took a stab at Char Siu.
This dish will have a recurring presence in my repertoire. It’s fantastic.

I cut a corner and used the sauce from the jar I found at my local Asian grocery store. It’s delicious although there are numerous recipes online to make the sauce from scratch. A very simple list of ingredients.
Also, typical meat used are boneless cuts of pork butt or pork tenderloin. I used boneless country style ribs because I had them in my freezer already.

I used this sauce:
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

The key is to marinate the meat overnight. Mine marinated for close to 24 hours.

Looked like this when they hit the grill:
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Though typically roasted or grilled at approximately 375 degrees for 45 minutes, I smoked mine at 225 for 45 minutes and then 375 degrees for another 30-40 minutes. I brushed with sauce twice during the higher temp phase.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Traditional preparation are slices roughly pencil width. Flavor is intense so thin slices are ideal for a good crust to meat ratio per bite.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

And leftovers are phenomenal!
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Ralphie:
I haven’t tried spare ribs but from memory, I’d say the flavor profile is very similar if not the same. From my research and talking to my buddy, they all say that marinating is vital to the recipe.
For this dish, you’ll notice that most recipes say to roast or grill at 375 for 45 minutes either in the oven or over charcoal.
Using boneless pork butt or country style ribs yields a tender and juicy bite that falls somewhere between tenderloin and pork chop in tenderness. And it’s a fairly short cooking time.

Bentley:
Thank you.  Char Sue is one of my favorite flavors with pork...

--- Quote from: Ralphie on August 22, 2018, 11:20:39 AM ---Also, typical meat used are boneless cuts of pork butt = boneless country style ribs...

--- End quote ---

BigDave83:
I have some of the dry mix packs, I may have to grab a few pork tenderloins next trip to gordons and give it a try. I have been sous vide cooking the tenderloins, I may marinade in a bag and then cook them in the marinade and then toss on the grill to finish. Thanks for the post.

cookingjnj:
Thanks for sharing Ralphie.  I can see referring back to this thread in my near future as a guide to a future cook.  Those country ribs look awesome!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View