Pages:
Actions
  • #31 by Timbo1010 on 11 Oct 2018
  • I just got the email my meater has shipped after 3 years of waiting
  • #32 by LowSlowFoShow on 31 Oct 2018
  • I just got the email my meater has shipped after 3 years of waiting

:clap:
  • #33 by Bar-B-Lew on 16 Dec 2019
  • OK, guys.  It's been over a year since the last post on this item.  What are the thoughts of the people that own it and have been using it for the last year?  I see they have the single unit for $99.
  • #34 by Ross77 on 16 Dec 2019
  • I started with the single Meater and really liked it except for the range. You essentially need two smart devices to use it. I picked up the Block on Black Friday for a solid price and have used it a few times. I have no issues with it. Really enjoying being able to use 4 probes with no wires.
  • #35 by Bar-B-Lew on 16 Dec 2019
  • I started with the single Meater and really liked it except for the range. You essentially need two smart devices to use it. I picked up the Block on Black Friday for a solid price and have used it a few times. I have no issues with it. Really enjoying being able to use 4 probes with no wires.

What are the pros and cons of Meater versus other thermometers you have used?
  • #36 by Ross77 on 16 Dec 2019
  • For the Block.

Pros: 
    no wires
    Cloud monitoring from anywhere
    probes measure both meat and ambient temp
    app is simple and clean
    app predicts cooking time
    app takes carryover cooking into account
    app saves all the cooks

Cons:
    Probes are too large for smaller cuts of meat
    Ambient temp is affected by proximity to cold meat
    The time prediction for large cuts is not super accurate
    Need to add a notes option for each cook

• #37 by Bar-B-Lew on 19 Dec 2019
  • How far away can you put the block from the Meater thermometers and keep connectivity to wifi?  How do you clean the probes?
  • #38 by Ross77 on 19 Dec 2019
  • How far away can you put the block from the Meater thermometers and keep connectivity to wifi?  How do you clean the probes?

I haven’t tested the distance. I just set the block on my smoker side shelf. They connect to the block via Bluetooth so the distance won’t be great.  Maybe 20 feet?

I clean the probes in the sink with a sponge under running water. Ok to get them wet for cleaning but you can’t submerge them.
  • #39 by reubenray on 19 Dec 2019

Why do you need two smart devices?  I want to use it in my prime rib roast on my rotisserie.
  • #40 by Ross77 on 19 Dec 2019

Why do you need two smart devices?

Because the Bluetooth range is poor with the single probe. You need a smart device next to the smoker to bridge to WiFi. Once you’re on WiFi you can view on your other devices.
  • #41 by reubenray on 19 Dec 2019
  • If I am sitting outside about 12' away will I still need two devices.  I want to get this to keep from opening my smoker to check the temperature to much.  I will be sitting out drinking a cold beer while it is smoking. 

Doesn't the block communicate to my smart phone via bluetooth?
  • #42 by Ross77 on 19 Dec 2019
  • If I am sitting outside about 12' away will I still need two devices.  I want to get this to keep from opening my smoker to check the temperature to much.  I will be sitting out drinking a cold beer while it is smoking. 

Doesn't the block communicate to my smart phone via bluetooth?

You don’t need two devices with the Block.

The Block sits next to the smoker, communicates with the probes via Bluetooth and WiFi to your phone. The Block serves as the bridge to WiFi. The single probe that Meater sells doesn’t have this feature.
  • #43 by reubenray on 19 Dec 2019
  • This is what I just ordered.  Are you saying I need something else for this to work?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GQMPJOC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • #44 by Ross77 on 19 Dec 2019
  • This is what I just ordered.  Are you saying I need something else for this to work?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GQMPJOC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

At 12’ you’ll probably be ok. They also have the Meater+ which would have better range.
  • #45 by Bar-B-Lew on 19 Dec 2019
  • I'm considering getting the 4 probes and block for $229 with Prime free shipping.
Pages:
Actions