Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by DaisyCutter on 24 Aug 2018
  • I've wanted to try this recipe, as she uses powdered milk so it freezes well and doesn't break, but haven't gotten around to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBsS8GlyKl0&t=1s
  • #17 by bregent on 28 Aug 2018
  • My go-to recipe is pretty simple. 

A stick of butter and 4 oz of AP flour make the white roux.

I agree. You either need to use real cheese and make a cheese sauce using a light roux, OR used some processed cheese. My goto recipe is from Ina Garten, which you can find online. Hadn't heard of melting salts but looks interesting.

I picked up some melting salts a few days ago and made nacho cheese sauce with some sharp cheddar I had just smoked this weekend - and it just puts the supermarket stuff to shame. The whole family was impressed with how smooth it was, and of course the flavor was terrific. I think it would work great for mac and cheese and will try it this weekend. If you don't mind adding a few chemicals that you can't pronounce, give it a try.
  • #18 by normalt on 30 Aug 2018
  • You can also use evaporated milk & cheese, turns out very creamy.  https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/01/3-ingredient-stovetop-mac-and-cheese-recipe.html
  • #19 by Ralphie on 01 Sep 2018
  • I think you will be fine if you follow the instructions without butter to have less grease.  I like how I was able to vac seal into portions after cooling.  I then reheat when needed.  Worked great. I need to make another batch as my freezer stock is empty.

How big was the box of pasta you used in this recipe?
  • #20 by Bar-B-Lew on 02 Sep 2018
  • I think you will be fine if you follow the instructions without butter to have less grease.  I like how I was able to vac seal into portions after cooling.  I then reheat when needed.  Worked great. I need to make another batch as my freezer stock is empty.

How big was the box of pasta you used in this recipe?

1#
  • #21 by BC Buck on 03 Sep 2018
  • To me, any mac-n-cheese that you want to be smooth and creamy and not "break" needs to have some Velveeta or processed cheese in it.  You can also add other cheese, just make sure you have a good hunk of Velveeta melting in there also.
    The Velveeta added to my recipe helped out. Texture and taste was good. My cheese sauce is now thicker than I would like. Do you think adding milk is the way to go?
  • #22 by Bar-B-Lew on 03 Sep 2018
  • Cream looks to be the preferred method to thin whisking it into your cheese sauce until you get the desired texture.
  • #23 by BC Buck on 03 Sep 2018
  • Cream looks to be the preferred method to thin whisking it into your cheese sauce until you get the desired texture.
    Thanks, heading to the store.
Pages:
Actions