Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by dk117 on 12 Dec 2018
  • https://pelletfan.com/index.php?action=post;quote=3911;topic=452.0
    It has become my favorite cut, send me what you don't want, you can have my rib roast!

i love prime rib roast (though I do that in the oven not pit, but I digress).   Wife is not a big fan of rare meat and prefers tenderloin but well done.   I'm thinking Costco whole tenderloin, cut in half.  Half for me medium rare, half for the wife and daughter at medium well. 

Montreal seasoning (might mix it up more than that) an hour or two at 180 then sear on the gasser to desired IT?

Let me know what I'm missing as this will be a big change for Christmas supper.

Thanks

DK
  • #2 by pmillen on 12 Dec 2018
  • The tenderloin is kinda' tapered so do the larger end to medium rare and see if the tapered end meets their needs.  If not, pan sear their slices a bit.  They'll love it.
  • #3 by bregent on 12 Dec 2018
  • For me, tenderloin is too lean to cook well done. Rib roast has much more fat and will stay somewhat juicy. In fact, I like it cooked a little closer to medium so that the fat starts to melt. You can cook a rib roast medium-rare and then finish a few slices in a pan or oven to well done.

• #4 by dk117 on 12 Dec 2018
  • For me, tenderloin is too lean to cook well done. Rib roast has much more fat and will stay somewhat juicy. In fact, I like it cooked a little closer to medium so that the fat starts to melt. You can cook a rib roast medium-rare and then finish a few slices in a pan or oven to well done.
    We go to Ruth's Chris once or twice a year and she orders the filet mignon and before the waiter can even say it she says I know I know, butterfly well done please.   We all get a good eye roll.

I love her anyway.

DK

PS been doing the rib roast pan searing with au jus and thinking of mixing it up this year.
  • #5 by Bar-B-Lew on 12 Dec 2018
    We go to Ruth's Chris once or twice a year and she orders the filet mignon and before the waiter can even say it she says I know I know, butterfly well done please.   We all get a good eye roll.

I love her anyway.

DK

PS been doing the rib roast pan searing with au jus and thinking of mixing it up this year.

Haha...my wife is the same way about her steaks at those places.  I think I got her to medium well sometimes.
Pages:
Actions