Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Cooking Pork Butt - A new Twist  (Read 3642 times)

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Re: Cooking Pork Butt - A new Twist
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2018, 10:54:13 AM »

(no need to rinse)

FWIW, I just finished two butts using this method and they turned out very good. However, if you collect the juices in a covered pan to add back to the meat like I do, the juices will be quite salty if you do not rinse after brine. I diluted with pork broth to compensate for the extra salt before adding back to the pulled pork. All's well that ends well.   ;D
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2018, 11:22:32 AM »

While thinning out the freezer, I came across two rather large pork butts that I vacuum packed last winter. Having read this post, I think I'll try this method for my first cook since June. My only variations will be to use a mustard/Worcestershire binder for the rub and wrap with foil in a pan at 160° IT. I made the Memphis dust per the recipe above but next time I'll use granulated brown sugar, the normal stuff is too moist and does not mix or spread well.
I for one would be interested in the outcome of this cook.

hughver

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2018, 02:09:38 PM »

Well, to tell the truth, I've done better. Don't get me wrong, it's still very good, much better than any BBQ joint that I've been to. For one thing I think that I did not pull them soon enough. I pulled the smaller of the two at 203° like I normally do, seeing the doneness of the first one I immeadiately pulled the second one, 200°. My guess is that the dry brineing caused accelerated cooking. The only other major difference is that I used Memphis Dust instead of my normal rub. I did not get any pictures during the cook but here is a picture of the final product ready for vacuum packing.

--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Canadian John

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2018, 09:26:40 AM »

Hey CJ....thanks for starting this thread.  I have not brined a shoulder/butt before smoking, so getting the ideas on both the wet and dry brine from others has been great learning.

One other step that did intrigue me:

Pulled and sauced using a home brew bourbon sauce.

Family secret, or another recipe you can share? Thanks!
Glad to share the recipe. I will post under "Rubs/Sauces/Brines" in the Recipe section where it belongs..
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 10:56:12 AM by Canadian John »

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2018, 05:23:11 PM »

(no need to rinse)

FWIW, I just finished two butts using this method and they turned out very good. However, if you collect the juices in a covered pan to add back to the meat like I do, the juices will be quite salty if you do not rinse after brine. I diluted with pork broth to compensate for the extra salt before adding back to the pulled pork. All's well that ends well.   ;D

I think you are correct about getting too much salt. However, remember that I only used a handful of salt as per my son's advice. That's probably why mine was not too salty.  BUT--Rinsing would not be bad idea, since you are then going to use your favorite rub anyhow. I may experiment on the next one.   

sleebus.jones

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • I like meat
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2018, 09:27:05 AM »

(no need to rinse)

Hm.  Well, I don't collect the juices, so I don't have a point of reference.  If you've applied the salt 24 hrs in advance at the recommended rate (2.5g/lb) all that salt will be absorbed by the meat, so there really won't be anything to rinse off...so I doubt that rinsing will make the juices less salty.
-=<Cookshack PG1000 | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | Cinderblock rev flow pit | Weber S-670>=-

hughver

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2018, 01:31:19 PM »

- Well, I don't collect the juices-   - If you've applied the salt 24 hrs in advance at the recommended rate (2.5g/lb)-

The juices, after the fat has been removed, added back adds another dimension to the flavor profile. I've tried them both ways and, in my IHMO, the one with juices was much better. You should try it, you might be surprised.

I salted and refregerated for 28 hours before seasoning with saltless Memphis Dust. However, I used Meathead's recomendation of 1/2 tsp. per pound which is almost twice the amount, 4.73g/lb., that you indicated above. Given the results, I'll use your value next time.

Thanks for the critique.

sleebus.jones

• I like meat
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2018, 07:58:20 AM »

However, I used Meathead's recomendation of 1/2 tsp. per pound which is almost twice the amount, 4.73g/lb., that you indicated above. Given the results, I'll use your value next time.

Thanks for the critique.

Hm.  Yer weighin' machine seems a bit off kilter, or you've got some really dense salt!  I've weighed table salt at 5.69g/tsp and Kirkland's sea salt at 5.45g/tsp.  I don't have Morton's Kosher in my list (how did I miss that‽); will have to add that tonight.  So that would make table salt 2.85g/0.5 tsp and sea salt 2.73g/0.5 tsp.  I'm trying to remember what I did when I calc'ed it out.  I think I just went with 2.5g/lb because it was close, a nice round number, and the DW prefers me to use less salt when I can.   ::)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 08:01:42 AM by sleebus.jones »
-=<Cookshack PG1000 | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | Cinderblock rev flow pit | Weber S-670>=-

hughver

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2018, 10:18:58 AM »

You appear to be right. I used Kroger course kosher salt and reweighted it this morning on a different scale, 3g for 1/2tsp. Maybe course salt does not get absorbed as fast as table salt. In any case, I'll rinse the next time I try it.

Canadian John

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2018, 11:58:27 AM »

Salt should always be weighed - there are  just too many variables measuring by volume.

To check your scale, use a buffalo nickel/5 US cents. It weighs in at 5.0 Grams .

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2018, 07:49:45 PM »

You are getting too technical for me.  My son just used a "handful" of salt with a bottle of molasses in a pot with enough water to cover the butt.  Next day he did not rinse the butt, but did discard the brine.  Lots of that salt was no doubt still in this mild discarded brine.  If he had salted the butt directly, I think it would have been saltier. So, as a believer in the KISS principle, I think I will stay with the mild brine solution rather than measuring and direct salt application.  Worked great that way. ?

sleebus.jones

• I like meat
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2018, 07:51:20 AM »

You are getting too technical for me.  My son just used a "handful" of salt with a bottle of molasses in a pot with enough water to cover the butt.

This is great if you want inconsistent results.

There is a difference between the "excess salt" approach that is used with the method above and the equilibrium approach that is used by weighing an appropriate amount of salt for the meat.  With the "excess salt" method, the time it stays in the brine is critical.  It will continue to get saltier as time goes by.  With an equilibrium approach, it will never get too salty no matter how long you leave it, unless you exceed the 2.5g/lb rate (which seems what inadvertently happened above).  It's a "set it and forget it" method that doesn't involve dealing with sloshing around gallon(s) of water in your fridge.  Can't cook for a few days?  No problem.  Do it when you have time.

Up to you, but there's no need to disparage the method just because it's "too technical" in your opinion.   :(

hughver

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2018, 10:32:04 AM »

Since I'll be doing this again next week, if you don't mind, I've got a couple of questions for you. How critical is even salt distribution to this method? Does salt penetrate the fat cap at the same rate as the leaner portions? Is wrapping in plastic critical to the process? BTW, IMO, this is KISS.

sleebus.jones

• I like meat
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2018, 01:28:44 PM »

I only apply salt heavier on the thicker ends of the meat in question.  I usually evenly split the salt between fat/non fat sides.  I wrap in plastic to hold the salt in close contact while it dissolves, and also so that any that falls on the wrap gets applied to the meat when I wrap it up, so that way I get as much of my measured amount on the meat.  It also holds any sort of purge you get against the meat so you don't lose any salt that way if it dripped off.  It may purge a bit, but the meat will reabsorb it because of osmosis.  24 hour rest is probably the most critical as it gives time for the salt to migrate inward, which then continues/accelerates during the cooking process.

TL;DR
Apply heavier where thicker, wrap in plastic wrap for 24 hrs, cook.

hughver

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2018, 01:34:38 PM »

That may have been part of my problem, I stored them over night in a large Ziploc bag.  :(
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up