Pages:
Actions
  • #106 by Bentley on 09 Dec 2018
  • And they gave it to his as a punt returner!
  • #107 by ZCZ on 09 Dec 2018
  • Well, if you look at the trophy the guy has a ball in one hand and the other giving a stiff arm. I suppose it could go to a defender who either 1) picked up a lot of fumbles or 2) made a lot of interceptions and was headed the other way (now on offense).
  • #108 by pmillen on 09 Dec 2018
  • Football's a team sport where most players have to submerge their identities into the team identity.  But there are positions where the players' contributions are more noticeable.  Of the linemen, it's easier to notice the defensive linemen's contributions.

Other team sports look more like a gathering of individual sports.  Volleyball stands out in particular.
  • #109 by okie smokie on 09 Dec 2018
  • Well as usual there are always those who are critical of the method of choice.  Many winners have not had a 100% winning record, i.e. Lamar Jackson, and Baker Mayfield. And many times the Heisman winner does not win his bowl game.  There is more to the judging than just difficulty of schedule and winning record.  The judges are a large group of 870 Sports Writers  in 6 regions of US (145 in each region).  These are folks who are professionals at viewing and sifting the performances of NCAA teams and players.  There were 58 or so living past Heisman winners that each get 1 vote. So about 929 +- voters are involved.  Each voter can vote 1st, 2nd or 3rd place for eligible players.  1st place vote is 3 points, 2nd place is 2 points, and 3rd place is 1 point.
    Murray had 517 first place votes and enough 2nd, and 3rd place votes for a total of 2167 votes. 3rd all time highest vote.
    Tagovailoa had a total of 1891 votes for second.  The highest 2nd place total in all the 84 yrs.
    Murray had 276 more points that Tua.  Thats it.
    Now the Orange bowl will decide which is the best team on that day of Dec. 29, 2018, and the quarterbacks will have a lot to do with that, but so will a lot of others, --on both teams.  The odds are against the Sooners, and rightfully so. But we shall see. I think if you watch this game (barring freak accidents, and bad breaks etc) you will be amazed at both teams. And even if Tua is unable, then Jalen Hurt will be lead his team well as he did last week.  If the Sooners lose, they will not be "crushed" IMHO.  My prediction: None.
  • #110 by okie smokie on 09 Dec 2018
  • Yes there have been defensive nominees.  1986 Bryan Bosworth (the Boz) was nominated and finished in 4th place behind Vinny Testaverde, Paul Palmer, and Jim Harbaugh.  He was that good (or better) but had personal problems to overcome, which he has done!
  • #111 by Kristin Meredith on 10 Dec 2018
  • Yes, I know there have been defensive players nominated, but -- to be a bit blunt -- so what?  Do you remember who finished 4th at the Indy 500 even two years ago?  And, good grief, let's not get started with Johnny Manzel's personal problems but he still won. It is an award meant not only for offensive players, but really backs and receivers.  Fine, just say so.  Don't make it appear you have picked the best in college football.

And as for those picking, I would love to know how many of those sportswriters who are in a non-Pacific zone are staying up until 1 am to watch a college football game on a consistent basis?  The West Coast and Mountain time zone teams consistently get crummy times for the start of their games -- not a whole lot of folks willing to watch games with a 10:30 pm start time.
  • #112 by Bentley on 27 Dec 2018
  • Congrats to The University of Minnesota for laying a whoopin on Georgia Tech!
  • #113 by ZCZ on 28 Dec 2018
  • Congrats to The University of Minnesota for laying a whoopin on Georgia Tech!

And to the Wisconsin Badgers for laying a whoopin' on the Canes. 

Go Big Ten!

Trooper's Spartans have a game coming up on Monday.  Any other Big Ten supporters here?

Al
  • #114 by KeithG on 28 Dec 2018
  • Go Orange!
  • #115 by okie smokie on 28 Dec 2018
  • Congrats to Auburn for a big whooping on Purdue (63 to 14).  !!!!!!
  • #116 by ZCZ on 28 Dec 2018
  • They certainly did. I was afraid of that.
  • #117 by okie smokie on 29 Dec 2018
  • West Virginia is no threat without Will Greer.  Money talks louder than  honor!  Win lose or draw, I will always respect Kyler Murray for going ahead for the the Sooners this year, and especially staying aboard for the Orange Bowl.
  • #118 by Bobitis on 29 Dec 2018
  • And the Pac12 FINALLY gets a bowl win via the Cougars of WSU.  :cool:
  • #119 by ZCZ on 29 Dec 2018
  • And yet another Big Ten team bites the dust.
  • #120 by Kristin Meredith on 29 Dec 2018
  • Sorry about that Z, but I thought Michigan was overrated all year.
Pages:
Actions