Pages:
Actions
  • #76 by reubenray on 03 Dec 2018
  • xxxx.  UCF was robbed again.  Does anyone know how strength of schedule is actually determined, because no one can tell me that the PAC 12 is that much better than the AAC this year.  I don't even think the ACC was that much better than the AAC this year (aside from Clemson)

Sorry about being robbed.  But you get to play my team in the Fiesta Bowl.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!
  • #77 by GatorDave on 03 Dec 2018
  • That's gonna be a fun game.  LSU is gonna come in ready to play, so it will be a nice test.  It's a shame your CB declared for the NFL. 
  • #78 by Mudflap on 03 Dec 2018
  • xxxx.  UCF was robbed again.  Does anyone know how strength of schedule is actually determined, because no one can tell me that the PAC 12 is that much better than the AAC this year.  I don't even think the ACC was that much better than the AAC this year (aside from Clemson)

First lets start by saying I also think your team got robed. 12-0 in any other conference would have made it. The quote below says it should work that way.

As for the AAC being better than Pac 12 goes I'm not so sure on that. Now we can argue ranking system all are lifetime(I don't agree with it also) but Pac 12 having 3 teams in top 20 and the AAC having 1 in top 25(they do have 1 more at 28) makes them better how? Only one team in the conference was even ranked throughout the year. Then they finish 3rd behind Temple. My belief is that every conference (except the SEC) needs to go out and play ranked teams to get a fair shake at the CFbP system that is in place. We will be stuck with a system like this until the ESPN contract for the SEC network runs out in 2034.

I do think the Pac 12 stunk also.

Mudflap

Hey, I learned the hard way in law school that having a tough schedule gets you squat -- all employers cared about was the GPA.  So, here I was taking really tough tax and SEC reg classes and antitrust and getting an A in a few but more often a B.  But, I thought, employers will recognize that I was taking the tough rode.  What a laugh -- the folks taking Cakewalk Law 101 and getting high GPAs were getting the offers.  I learned the hard way we are a shallow society.

I use to say the same about FSU and Boise State.  Pat Hill was out there "taking on anyone" and losing to big time programs and getting the heck beat out of his team in the first 3 weeks, which translated to them being beat up for conference play and not finishing at the top.  Chris Petersen played a much easier schedule, threw in some cupcake teams to start, and began to win the conference championship year after year and go undefeated several years and eventually played in -- and won -- the Fiesta Bowl.

No one remembers how hard or easy your schedule, they just remember if you made it to the National Championship.  If playing an easy schedule gets me there, bring on the easy schedule.  Play smart.  So maybe Ed will start getting an easier schedule in years to come.

• #79 by GatorDave on 03 Dec 2018
  • The top 25 is a very subjective ranking system where the power 5 conferences are assumed to be better than the group of 5.  That means that any group of 5 strength of schedule is assumed to be weaker because they play other group of 5 teams in their conference.  So, when a group of 5 team loses to another group of 5 team, they are penalized for it.  Also, when the season starts, it's almost exclusively power 5 teams in the top 25.  This means that at the beginning of the season, the power 5 strength of schedule is just assumed to be tougher, because look at all those top 25 teams they have to play.  As a conference the AAC is undefeated against the PAC 12 this year and 3-3 against the ACC. This could lead anyone to believe that perhaps the AAC might be a lot tougher conference than they are given credit for.
  • #80 by reubenray on 03 Dec 2018
  • I agree about the SEC comment especially Alabama.  They get to pick what ever weak teams they will play outside of the conference games.  The higher ranked teams should be made to play more of the other higher ranks teams and not non-ranked teams.  I will be rooting for Oklahoma and Notre Dame.  I get tired of watching the same teams in the championship games over and over.
  • #81 by ZCZ on 03 Dec 2018
  • The top teams/conferences get to pick from the the cream of the crop when it comes to recruiting.  That's how they stay on top.  All the better players want to play with successful programs.  The other conferences get to fight over the leftovers.

Would like to see other teams in there as well but unless things change I don't see anyone beating Alabama.  We'll see.

As for UCF they seem to be a smaller, lighter, faster team.  But when playing teams from the main conferences I think the big defensive and offensive lines would grind them down and wear them out.  Those big lines like running people over.  We will see when they play LSU.  Should be interesting.
    Z
  • #82 by GatorDave on 03 Dec 2018
  • The top teams/conferences get to pick from the the cream of the crop when it comes to recruiting.  That's how they stay on top.  All the better players want to play with successful programs.  The other conferences get to fight over the leftovers.

Would like to see other teams in there as well but unless things change I don't see anyone beating Alabama.  We'll see.

As for UCF they seem to be a smaller, lighter, faster team.  But when playing teams from the main conferences I think the big defensive and offensive lines would grind them down and wear them out.  Those big lines like running people over.  We will see when they play LSU.  Should be interesting.
    Z

Of course, that was the argument last year when they played Auburn.  Everyone predicted an Auburn blowout.  Of course, after Auburn lost, the narrative changed.  Then it became "Auburn didn't really care about the game because it wasn't the playoffs, so they didn't bring their "A" game."  The narrative constantly shifts depending on whether they are talking about the power 5 or group of 5.  When Notre Dame almost lost to Pitt, a team UCF crushed, the discussion is how they gritted out a win on an off day which is what great teams do.  When Memphis played UCF close, it is pointed out they almost lost to a bad Memphis team, not that they gritted out a win.  Group of 5 teams don't get credit for gutting out wins on an off day.  Heck, Ohio State got stomped by Purdue and should have lost to Maryland, and they were still in the playoff discussion, while UCF just wins and can't even get into the discussion.  The only reason their is any talk about UCF at all is because their AD is a genius and claimed a national title last year.
  • #83 by Bentley on 03 Dec 2018
  • I dont like to say it, but having had to watch Bama play way more then I wanted to this year, no one is going to beat them.  Georgia should be in the 4, as they were the only team to give them a game.  I have never seen a team that can adjust as much as they do for their opponent in the 2nd half.  And they simply have instilled in them that if they don't quit, they are a better team then their opponent and they will win!
  • #84 by Kristin Meredith on 03 Dec 2018
  • I dont like to say it, but having had to watch Bama play way more then I wanted to this year, no one is going to beat them.  Georgia should be in the 4, as they were the only team to give them a game.  I have never seen a team that can adjust as much as they do for their opponent in the 2nd half.  And they simply have instilled in them that if they don't quit, they are a better team then their opponent and they will win!

Wow, amazing to read this since every week all I hear is how much he hates Alabama and hopes ANY team will beat them.
  • #85 by Bentley on 03 Dec 2018
  • As I said, I don't like to have to say it!
  • #86 by Mudflap on 03 Dec 2018
  • As a conference the AAC is undefeated against the PAC 12 this year and 3-3 against the ACC. This could lead anyone to believe that perhaps the AAC might be a lot tougher conference than they are given credit for.

(Used team standings overall record not just conference)

AAC #2 team Cincinnati over Pac 12 #11 team UCLA  :clap:

AAC #5 team Huston over Pac 12 #8 team Arizona  :clap:

The year NCAA went to the BCS champion ship games the bowl games started to mean nothing but $$$ for the schools. That is why I only watch my team if they are lucky enough to play. As for the other games I could not care less.

Mudflap
  • #87 by reubenray on 04 Dec 2018
  • This is why I only watch the LSU games and at my home.  I don't care about watching the other teams or what they are doing.  Having Alabama shoved down everyone's throat on Saturday where I live at is part of not liking or even hating Alabama.  The RV resort I live at has more owner's that are for other teams instead of Alabama.  The only hope for Alabama to fail is to get caught in some type of recruiting issue.
  • #88 by jdmessner on 04 Dec 2018

Gator Dave, there is no doubt you were robbed. I really thought UCF should have been given a higher ranking considering their total body of work. That being said, do you think the injury to Milton played a part in the voting by the committee? They seem to be projecting a lot of intangibles into their selections. UCF has a great program and I hope they continue to do well.
  • #89 by GatorDave on 04 Dec 2018

Gator Dave, there is no doubt you were robbed. I really thought UCF should have been given a higher ranking considering their total body of work. That being said, do you think the injury to Milton played a part in the voting by the committee? They seem to be projecting a lot of intangibles into their selections. UCF has a great program and I hope they continue to do well.

Honestly, no.  I don't think they would have moved them either way.  The power 5 and ESPN own the playoff, so I don't see them ever wanting to split that pie.  I don't think that UCF could beat Alabama or Clemson this year, but against anyone else, I would give them a fair chance.  I'm not even 100% sure they wouldn't give Clemson a tough time.  The perception is, that since they aren't a power 5 school, they can't be as good, which, if you have watched a lot of them, you know isn't true.  They are fast, skilled, and deep at just about every position.  Their defense could definitely be better, and isn't quite as deep as the offense, but when they need a stop or a turnover, they get it.  Heck, their third quarter defense is one of the best in the country.  Think about this.  They went undefeated in 2017, which is tough to do.  Then they had to replace the entire coaching staff, and they go undefeated again in 2018.  One of the best quarterbacks in the country gets injured?  No problem, just plug in another guy and win.  LSU is going to be a really good test, and a fun game to watch.  I only wish they could have gone to the peach bowl and play Florida.  That would have been even more fun.  The party is going to end sometime, but it sure is a fun ride for now.
  • #90 by ZCZ on 04 Dec 2018
  • If they beat LSU maybe UCF could join the ACC or SEC?  They will need to bring their A game to beat LSU. Best of luck. We’ll be watching. Should be a good game!
    Z
Pages:
Actions