Pages:
Actions
  • #91 by okie smokie on 04 Dec 2018
  • I dont like to say it, but having had to watch Bama play way more then I wanted to this year, no one is going to beat them.  Georgia should be in the 4, as they were the only team to give them a game.  I have never seen a team that can adjust as much as they do for their opponent in the 2nd half.  And they simply have instilled in them that if they don't quit, they are a better team then their opponent and they will win!

If the Sooners beat Bama, I will send you a couple of crow's to smoke for dinner.  Given that OU is a 14 pt underdog at present. If the offensive line (best in NCAA) can keep Murray protected, it will be lights out.  Sooner defense had a great game against Texas but will have to go up a notch for Bama. I seem to remember that we beat them the last 3 times we played them(2014; 2003; 2002). Tied them 4 games ago (1970) and only time we have lost to them was in 1963. Watcha think?
  • #92 by Bentley on 04 Dec 2018
  • I think OU is gonna get crushed! 

I do not say this to antagonize or out of any love for Bama, just my observations.  I have no dog in the hunt.  It would bring me great pleasure to see Sooners win!

I think Alabama is that strong!
  • #93 by Kristin Meredith on 05 Dec 2018
  • You haven't played against Saban.
  • #94 by okie smokie on 05 Dec 2018
  • You haven't played against Saban.

Yes we have.  In 2014 we were the underdog again and we beat them 45 to 31.  Surprised everyone including me.  I agree that Bama is one of the most powerful balanced teams I have seen, but offensively, the Sooners are the best I have ever seen.  And I have been watching them for over 72 years.  Murray is better than Mayfield! He never lost a game in Highschool, and the only college game he lost was earlier this year against Texas--which he avenged last week. I am encouraged by the improvement in the defense in the last game so there is hope. Hope you get to watch on the 29th. Go Sooners
  • #95 by Kristin Meredith on 05 Dec 2018
  • Sorry, wasn't clear.  To my knowledge, your head coach has never coached against Saban.  But I hope it is a good game.  I hate where one team dominates the other.  Nothing to watch.
  • #96 by okie smokie on 06 Dec 2018
  • Sorry, wasn't clear.  To my knowledge, your head coach has never coached against Saban.  But I hope it is a good game.  I hate where one team dominates the other.  Nothing to watch.
    I agree.  A lot will depend on which team maintains its sharpness over the long layoff for the holidays.  Hard to keep all those kids focused on the prize with all the parties, events, and awards.  Not sure if Tagovailoa will be 100% since high ankle sprains take a long time to heal.  Also, not sure Marquis Brown ("Hollywood") will be available for the Sooners. OU will not disclose the nature of injuries of it's players.  I could not have written a more complex plot. So there we go.  :2cents:
  • #97 by Bobitis on 06 Dec 2018
  • xxxx.  UCF was robbed again.  Does anyone know how strength of schedule is actually determined, because no one can tell me that the PAC 12 is that much better than the AAC this year.  I don't even think the ACC was that much better than the AAC this year (aside from Clemson)

While I agree that UCF got 'robbed', I have to ask; to What degree? Yes, a12-0 record is worthy of attention. Every conference has winners and losers.
    I would love to see UCF play the Huskies. The Pac 12 eats each other alive (as do some other power 5 conferences). There's no way UCF goes 12-0 in the Pac 12.

You can't look at wins/losses and equate that to a 'powerhouse' program. That's why they have strength of schedule included in the equation.

UCF has a SOS of 71. Oregon St. was ranked at 67 and finished the season at 2-10 (1-8 in the Pac).

Would love to see you beat LSU.

Go Knights!
  • #98 by GatorDave on 07 Dec 2018
  • xxxx.  UCF was robbed again.  Does anyone know how strength of schedule is actually determined, because no one can tell me that the PAC 12 is that much better than the AAC this year.  I don't even think the ACC was that much better than the AAC this year (aside from Clemson)

While I agree that UCF got 'robbed', I have to ask; to What degree? Yes, a12-0 record is worthy of attention. Every conference has winners and losers.
    I would love to see UCF play the Huskies. The Pac 12 eats each other alive (as do some other power 5 conferences). There's no way UCF goes 12-0 in the Pac 12.

You can't look at wins/losses and equate that to a 'powerhouse' program. That's why they have strength of schedule included in the equation.

UCF has a SOS of 71. Oregon St. was ranked at 67 and finished the season at 2-10 (1-8 in the Pac).

Would love to see you beat LSU.

Go Knights!

You are making the same mistake that so many make.  Strength of schedule has nothing to do with how good or bad a team is, only the level of competition they are playing. Saying UCF would lose most of their games if their schedule strength was higher is a huge leap.  Personally, I think UCF could very well have gone undefeated in the PAC 12, since I think they are having a somewhat down year.  Do you know how they calculate strength of schedule?  I have no idea how they actually determine it.  I have found info on the BCS era, but nothing on how they determine it today, so I am a bit skeptical of what SOS is actually tells us.  If rankings are used at all in it, then it is very suspect. 
         As far as being robbed, I don't think that Ohio state, who has looked terrible at times this year should be ranked ahead of UCF, and I definitely don't think a 2 loss Michigan should be ranked ahead of them.  Georgia is pretty darn good, even with 2 losses, so I'm not sure that UCF would hold up against them, but I do think UCF could beat Notre Dame(not would, but could).  LSU is going to be a decent test, because without Milton, our passing game isn't quite as good.  UCF's offensive line is really really good, so I think they will be able to run some, but I'm not sure if they will be able to run enough to make the passing game easier on our backup.  He's pretty good, but not quite as accurate as Milton, and definitely not as seasoned.  It will be a nice test though.

Oh, and another thing on the SOS, since the SEC commish decided to weigh in on it today.  UCF tries to schedule tougher teams, but none of them want to play UCF.  They feel it's a no win situation.  Maybe SOS should be determined by the teams that decide they don't want to play you..lol.  I say to the SEC commissioner, put your money where your mouth is.  Make your teams schedule UCF.
  • #99 by Kristin Meredith on 07 Dec 2018
  • I was under the impression that SOS is based -- at least in part -- on how many ranked teams you played in a season.  A somewhat nebulous concept at best since a team can start out ranked as number 3, lose a few games, and end the season not ranked.  Auburn, many years, is a classic example of this.  So, a team gets the SOS benefit from where that team started out, but seems no detriment from their fall.

Converse is also true -- Fresno State ended as No. 19 in Coaches Poll and Boise No. 23, but I doubt that any of the MW teams got the benefit of a bumped up SOS from playing 2 ranked teams.

I understand the desire to recognize that some teams play a tougher schedule, but not sure I agree with the execution. And I really don't agree with the concept of a "power conference".  Look at the SEC (and I love the SEC)

Georgia   7-1   11-2
    Kentucky   5-3   9-3
    Florida   5-3   9-3
    So Carolina 4-4   7-5
    Missouri   4-4   8-4
    Vanderbilt   3-5   6-6
    Tennessee   2-6   5-7

WEST   CONF OVR
    Alabama   8-0   13-0
    Texas A&M   5-3   8-4
    LSU           5-3   9-3
    Miss State   4-4   8-4
    Auburn   3-5   7-5
    Ole Miss   1-7   5-7
    Arkansas   0-8   2-10

Look at the bottom 3 and 4 in each division.  I mean, does anyone really think that Ark, Ole Miss, Auburn,Tenn, Vanderbilt etc were challenging opponents in those conferences?  But we give the SEC that myth. There are folks a lot smarter than me with respect to this stuff, so I am sure a good alternative could be found.  There is just no incentive to do so -- not when alum from the big schools that benefit from the old system have so much money and power.
  • #100 by Bentley on 07 Dec 2018
  • There are 130 schools in the Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS).  There are 33 Bowl games, excluding the current playoff system.  Interesting, 33 bowl game, that requires 66 teams.  How many teams start off in March Madness?  So I am going to assume that about half of the 130 schools win at least 6 games/season.  So, much like today, if you have to win at least 6 games to qualify for a playoff, you are going to have roughly the same amount of teams?

So if we have a 10 game regular season, and we start the playoff the weekend after Thanksgiving...32 games in week 1, 16 games week 2, 8 games week 3, 4 games week 4 and then a National Champion right after the 1st of the year.  My Bulldogs are 11-2 right now and play their 14th and final game December 15th.  I can guarantee you a 20-22 year old will be able to make their tired, old body play that 15th game...

We just need more discussion like this through out the Nation to bring it about and the Rose Bowl type bowls need to get on board or schools with a loosing record play in their game...
  • #101 by Bar-B-Lew on 08 Dec 2018
  • Hmmmm....should Alabama kept their QB in the game for more than the first half for each game this year so he could have won the Heisman trophy?  Granted, I have not watched much college football this season and have not watched one down of Oklahoma, but seems to me from what I have read and stats that the guy from AL probably had better stats if they were extrapolated over a full game than anyone in the country.  So, should he be penalized for an individual award because he got his job done in less time and could be afforded the luxury of sitting the rest of the game to avoid injury, get someone else experience, not run up the score, etc. ?  Based on the little information I have, I think he lost the award because he and his team were too good.  What do y'all think?
  • #102 by Bentley on 09 Dec 2018
  • Give the award to a defensive player and I will pay attention to it...Until then, it is just an offensive award to me!
  • #103 by Bar-B-Lew on 09 Dec 2018
  • Give the award to a defensive player and I will pay attention to it...Until then, it is just an offensive award to me!

I don't follow NCAA close enough these days.  Was there a defensive player worthy of the award?  The last one I recall worthy of it was the DB/LB/KR from Michigan a few years ago so much so I don't remember his name but I think he plays for the Browns now.
  • #104 by Kristin Meredith on 09 Dec 2018
  • The only defensive player I found was 1961 Ernie Davis who was both a halfback and linebacker, so not a true defensive player.  To me, it is not only an offensive award, but it seems to be becoming a quarterback award. I'll be honest, I just don't think you can determine one man on a football squad from one team in the entire nation is the best. And I am constantly amused that it is someone like a quarterback because where would he be without his line? So I guess I never really followed it.
  • #105 by Bar-B-Lew on 09 Dec 2018
  • 1997 Charles Woodson cornerback and punt returner

Jabrill Peppers was the most current player I was originally thinking of.  He came in 5th place in 2016.

Seems to be almost a curse to win this award over the last 20 years or so.  Not many winners have had very good NFL careers.
Pages:
Actions