Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hardware--Specifically Meat Slicer Carriage Width  (Read 376 times)

SparkyLB

• Using less gas.
Hardware--Specifically Meat Slicer Carriage Width
« on: August 26, 2018, 07:48:27 AM »

I've searched I think every thread about slicers, I know what Chef's Choice model Bentley's got.  I know the pricey ones are heavy and have a huge footprint.  I know I don't want an even "semi" commercial design.  I'm only going to use this thing for bacon.  My plan is to use it when the smoking is over, clean it, put it in the box and back in the garage. 

I'm not finding much on "can brand X accommodate a full width slab," or said differently, what's the dimensions of the carriage. 

Can anyone recommend a +/- $100 unit that will cut the full-width slab without me having to alter the slab first?  If this is not an issue, tell me, I really don't know much about the smaller "cheaper" units.  I'll probably get a Chef's Choice or similarly-sized unit.  Brand doesn't matter, I just want a full-length slice of bacon.  Thanks, all. 

Much appreciated. 
Right on to the friction of the day

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
Re: Hardware--Specifically Meat Slicer Carriage Width
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 08:59:52 AM »

When you say full length are you talking about the standard length commercial bacon comes in?
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

SparkyLB

• Using less gas.
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 09:36:01 AM »

Yessir, or the "short" dimension on a belly. 

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 11:11:44 AM »

I have a commercial Hobart that I haven’t used in probably 5 years, too dang heavy.
I use a Cabelas deluxe, was like $100.00. Works fine but neither one will slice a full size belly, not the length I end up with anyway. I cut the bellies in half an slice away. 20+ #’s this morning.

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 01:06:54 PM »

My Chefs Choice 630 has a 9 inch travel - so I usually do 8.5" slices, which is shorter than commercial slices which is around 11".  I think most home units are about the same. When I get full slabs, before curing I cut them into sizes that will accommodate this. I actually prefer these slightly shorter slices as work better for wrapping around moinks, ABT's, and perfect size for BLT's.

If you want to do an 11" slice, you're going to need a commercial slicer. Maybe something like:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014DL1NXO
or find one used on Craigs list.

As far as I know, the semi-commercial models that run ~$300 are still only capable of 8-9 inch cuts.

SparkyLB

• Using less gas.
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 02:02:50 PM »

Thanks, Brian and bregent.  That's what I needed to know.  So "NO" on full length bacon if it ain't a commercial unit.  I could consider cutting about 2.5" off and using that remainder for stuff that benefits from bacon as a flavor agent (beans, burgers). 

I would buy a commercial, but my frequency (or, non) of use would make such a purchase ridiculous.  I'm not going to use this more than a half-dozen times per year for bacon.
Thanks for the input, all!   

I guess I'll go with the Chef's Choice that Bentley has, and do 1/2 length slices.  It'll still taste great.   ;)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 02:04:29 PM by SparkyLB »

sleebus.jones

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • I like meat
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 03:28:07 PM »

I have a 12" slicer and it will do bacon just fine.  I don't think you could do it with anything smaller.

Got mine for $50 (!) on CL.
-=<Cookshack PG1000 | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | Cinderblock rev flow pit | Weber S-670>=-

SparkyLB

• Using less gas.
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 07:31:00 PM »

Got a type/model #, brand name, Sleebus? 
Pages: [1]   Go Up