Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by BC Buck on 27 Aug 2018
  • Iv read about the 3,2,1 method of cooking ribs but had never tried till Sunday. Normal rib cook for me to reach 205 takes about 4 hours at 220 deg. I see all the pros on TV wrapping with all sorts of goodies inside the foil so thought id give it a try. At 3 hour I wrapped with brown sugar, honey, butter and cooked for 2 more hours. The plan was then to put on smoker for one more hour to set glaze but ribs where so loose I was not able to even pick them up. :o
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 27 Aug 2018
  • 275° for 3-3.5 hours without opening the lid until the 3 hour mark but make sure you can trust your grill grate temps as some units may run hotter than the controller says
  • #3 by triplebq on 27 Aug 2018
  • I cook both wrapped and naked. It really is just a personal preference. If you are going to wrap I would adjust the time. When I wrap I tend to go 2-2-1 @ 230. As I'm sure you know everyone's pit is different so take the times with a grain of salt.
  • #4 by Ralphie on 27 Aug 2018
  • 275° for 3-3.5 hours without opening the lid until the 3 hour mark but make sure you can trust your grill grate temps as some units may run hotter than the controller says

How do you prefer the texture of your rib?  Do you get a clean tender bite (clean from the bone I mean)?  I'd like to try your method and save a little time.
  • #5 by Bar-B-Lew on 27 Aug 2018

How do you prefer the texture of your rib?  Do you get a clean tender bite (clean from the bone I mean)?  I'd like to try your method and save a little time.

It is a clean bite and very moist as someone else noted I think the fat renders better at the slightly higher temp.  The thing I like the most is the easy of the process and the shorter length of time than other methods.  I don't want to be messing around for 6+ hours to make a few racks of ribs.  They will get to fall of the bone state if I leave them on too long with the ribs then breaking in the middle on the bend test.
  • #6 by Trooper on 27 Aug 2018
  • Q. Do you wrap your pork ribs?
    A. Yes.
  • #7 by David on 27 Aug 2018
  • Most of the time I wrap mine because my wife likes them very tender.
  • #8 by GREG-B on 27 Aug 2018
  • I cook at 150-170 for a couple hours (more smoke) then 250 until they're done.   We eat when they're done. [ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #9 by Canadian John on 27 Aug 2018

•  Not anymore. I used to a few years back. I would add peach preserves and wrap towards the end.
  • #10 by reubenray on 27 Aug 2018
  • My answer is not anymore also.  I quit wrapping them mainly for the mess it makes.  When you are traveling in a RV there are not a lot of choices of what to do with the excess juice that is accumulated when you are done with the wrapping in foil stage. A while back (at home) my wife wanted them wrapped.  After she spilled the juices over everything she agreed she did not want to wrap them anymore.
  • #11 by Canadian John on 28 Aug 2018

•  I believe if you were to checkout the BBQ joints, you would find no wrapping.  It's not to say all of these places produce good 'Q.  Several do. Especially the ones that have fresh off of the pit food.
  • #12 by Bar-B-Lew on 28 Aug 2018

•  I believe if you were to checkout the BBQ joints, you would find no wrapping.  It's not to say all of these places produce good 'Q.  Several do. Especially the ones that have fresh off of the pit food.

My brother wraps his in a pan with honey and brown sugar and he can't make enough of them some days out of his trailer.  He sells 20-30 racks a day and rarely carries any into the next day.  Probably not what many of us BBQ diehards would enjoy but it is what people want who don't make their own.
  • #13 by BC Buck on 28 Aug 2018
  • Watching Pit masters on TV I see most of the competitors wrapping there ribs. That was the only reason I though about giving it a try.
  • #14 by SurfAndTurf on 28 Aug 2018
  • I'm so glad to see this convo! I have ribs on @ 250 right now and I'm semi-panicked as this is my first try not wrapping but I did not like the feel or timing with the 3-2-1 method, or the 2-2-1, or any of the combos I have tried.

I WILL get this right eventually!!!!

Can't wait to see how everyone weighs in and the reasons they have for their choices.

SurfAndTurf
  • #15 by Bobitis on 28 Aug 2018
  • Never heard a compelling reason to. That would be a 'no' for me.
Pages:
Actions