Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you wrap your pork ribs?  (Read 1768 times)

SurfAndTurf

• Using less gas.
Re: Do you wrap your pork ribs?
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2018, 07:21:52 PM »

Just to be certain and clear, we are talking spareribs, correct?
SurfAndTurf

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2018, 07:58:07 PM »

both
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2018, 11:41:52 PM »

I used to wrap and the results were good. Now I smoke at 150° for 2.5-3.5 hours and then sous vide @ 140° for 24 hours. Sometimes I glaze but they are great just out of the bag.  :lick:
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

ZCZ

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2018, 07:57:57 AM »

both

I wrap spares (2-2-1, 260° the whole way) but do not wrap the Baby Backs (225° until done, usually 6-7 hours).

Z
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7

Conumdrum

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love cooking good food for friends and family
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2018, 02:43:07 PM »

Nope.  I like a solid bite on my ribs.
Started with Masterbuilt 30 analog, now my cold smoker Got a YS640 3+ years, happy camper Got a Weber performer with a Vortex, best charcoal grill ever Sold my gasser, Retired, gardening, clean, cook.Life is good!

imahawki

• Using less gas.
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2018, 09:42:30 AM »

The wrap conversation is always interesting and I especially like when people point out what the experts do.  From what I've seen, BBQ joints rarely wrap and at competition they almost always wrap.  So you have to keep in mind goals.  The home cook is probably somewhere in between.  The comp cook will go to ANY extreme to produce one perfect rack.  The restaurant is going for volume and streamlining the process, keep costs down etc.  Lots of restaurants don't remove the membrane, something I would never consider skipping at home so I don't know that restaurants are the benchmark. 

For me, I typically don't wrap for two reasons.  One is ease and the second is I don't like a mushy rib.  I do like them really tender so I find myself walking a bit of a tightrope.  3-2-1 seems crazy to me like you're just going to end up with mush.  Maybe a 2-2-1 would work for me but I'd prefer to get the results I'm looking for without wrapping at all.

Final comment, temps are not always disclosed when people say they do or don't wrap.  I tend to cook lower at 225.  If you're cooking at 250 or 275 then whether you wrap or not may not even be relevant to me.

grilltreats

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2018, 04:43:19 PM »

For the first time ever I did not wrap my pork ribs.  I instead got brave and decided to try Bar-B lew's  recommendation he suggested to someone on a post a while back.  275° for 3 3.5 hours unwrapped.  The two slabs turned out very tasty and tender with a nice easy bite. There really wasn't a huge difference in texture or taste over honey and butter with wrap except the unwrapped method had better smoke flavor and was much easier and quicker.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 04:45:00 PM by grilltreats »
Kamado Joe 18" with CyberQ Wi-Fi controller
REC TEC RT-700 with front shelf and sear kit since 6/1/18
Bullseye since 4/6/19

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2018, 05:27:56 PM »

Glad you enjoyed them and had some extra time to do something else.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2018, 02:03:09 PM »

I did for 15 years, not any more.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2018, 05:55:02 PM »

I like spares.  I do them two ways.

1:  275* for 3.5 hrs +- which are just a little firmer and barky. No paint, just sauce them at the table.

2: Or 260* naked for two hours, then wrapped 260* one hour, then painted, naked at 260* for 30 tor 40 min.  BUT I don't finish until they meet the bend test either way.  Personally, my best ribs are the 260*cook with the wrap in the middle.

silverbullet

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I thought my House was Child Proof then one got in
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2018, 05:55:16 PM »

I could never get any consistency when I foiled. To mushy. 275 for 3 1/2 to 4 hrs I get GR8 ribs every time!
GMG DC Camp Chef WW24

MysticRhythms

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2018, 06:50:18 PM »

I used to foil baby backs but I kept cutting back the foil time. Eventually I settled in at about 45 minutes so I decided why bother? Now I am naked - well, my ribs are - the whole time.
Don't ask me, I'm just improvising. 
PG500

grilltreats

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2018, 11:23:35 PM »

I have dropped the foil use on ribs and the drip tray recently, and am happy about using much less foil.  Looking forward to the labor rib cook.
Kamado Joe 18" with CyberQ Wi-Fi controller
REC TEC RT-700 with front shelf and sear kit since 6/1/18
Bullseye since 4/6/19

rfdong

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2018, 10:30:16 AM »

I have tried both.  There are a couple threads touching on this.  3-2-1 was too much cooking for B.B.  2-2-1 or even 2-1-1 probably could be better but I went back to unwrapped.  Tried Bent/BBQ  Lew method and really thought it came out best. 

Ralphie

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2018, 05:28:38 PM »

275° for 3-3.5 hours without opening the lid until the 3 hour mark but make sure you can trust your grill grate temps as some units may run hotter than the controller says

I didn't intend on trying this method until I started running out of time.  We hosted a gathering on Sunday and I figured it wouldn't matter if the ribs (6 racks) were cooking while my friends were drinking.  After all, I had a keg and 6 lbs of pepper stout beef to keep them occupied. 

But I changed my mind and decided I wanted to get the cooking over with. So after running the smoker at 225 for only 45 minutes, I cranked it to 275 and let it ride naked for 3-ish hours (brushed sauce on topside only for last 30 minutes).  And I'll tell you what...I'm never going back.  At least not for casual cooks at the house. 

The ribs were perfectly tender and juicy. But the kicker was that it was the first time I've yielded a tender juicy rib with a crispy crust.  Probably from the higher heat and no sauce on the underside (I never flipped them).  The smokiness was perfect for me as well. 

It's 275 for 3-4 hours for ribs from now on for me.   
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up