Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by elenis on 29 Aug 2018
  • While I have had my smoker for quite some time now I have only done 4 or 5 briskets. Typically I have injected and just do a little salt and pepper on it and when I hit the stall I wrap it in foil until they are done. They have been good, but I also used prime packers from Costco. The one thing I did think they were missing though is a bit of bark. I have been reading about a number of places that wrap with pink, unwaxed butcher paper and they were saying the meat gets a better texture wrapped in butcher paper. Do any of you use the butcher paper method? My big concern with this cook is that the brisket is from a leaner texas longhorn instead of the usual prime I buy. It is part of the half a longhorn I bought for the freezer. I have loved how much leaner longhorn is for most things, but I really want the brisket for Labor Day to turn out well.
    Thanks for any suggestions you can provide.
  • #2 by triplebq on 29 Aug 2018
  • I have done Briskets wrapped in foil, butcher paper, and naked. All produce different amounts of bark. In my experience cooking without wrapping gives you the best (firmer) bark. Using butcher paper is a nice mix between foil and naked.

I suggest you cook the brisket you have in your freezer. Cooking Prime brisket is great but not the end all for great briskets. I have cook many great Choice, Prime, and Wagyu briskets before. One of the best briskets I ever cooked was a choice brisket I got from Walmart.
  • #3 by dlesh04 on 29 Aug 2018
  • I wrapped mine in butcher paper when it hit 160-170...than when it hit the 203 mark and was done I wrapped in aluminum foil to let it rest for 2 hours.  I cooked at 225 also and did raise to 275 for 45 or so.  Check my thread down a few spots for my results..My first brisket
  • #4 by bregent on 29 Aug 2018
  • The one thing I did think they were missing though is a bit of bark. I have been reading about a number of places that wrap with pink, unwaxed butcher paper and they were saying the meat gets a better texture wrapped in butcher paper. Do any of you use the butcher paper method?

Wrapping with butcher paper will not give you more bark. It will produce less softening of the bark compared with foil. But if you're not getting enough bark,  then either don't wrap at all or wait until the bark has developed to your liking. I rarely wrap brisket.
  • #5 by Conumdrum on 29 Aug 2018
  • I use butcher paper.  Make sure you get it wide enough, for a huge brisket 24" can be too small.  It does work.  If you have heating from the bottom (radiant heat from the flame being under the plate) like my Yoder you can cook with the top on the bottom for an hour or three which will 'bark" it more than it facing up.  It will also be a more even cook.  The point will cook a bit faster which isn't a bad thing,
  • #6 by Clonesmoker on 30 Aug 2018
  • I have never used butcher paper. When I first got my pellet grill, I would wrap in foil and let rest for at least 30 minutes if not longer. Now I just cook them and let them set at room temp for about 15 minutes and serve. The nice thing about brisket is it will stay hot/warm for 3-6 hours wrapped in foil, cover with a towel and put in a cooler. This is what I will do for tailgating. Pull it off the smoker before we leave, wrap in foil and towel and can serve it an hour or so before the game and it is still hot. We start tailgating 6-8 hours before games.  :o :o
  • #7 by dlesh04 on 30 Aug 2018
  • I have never used butcher paper. When I first got my pellet grill, I would wrap in foil and let rest for at least 30 minutes if not longer. Now I just cook them and let them set at room temp for about 15 minutes and serve. The nice thing about brisket is it will stay hot/warm for 3-6 hours wrapped in foil, cover with a towel and put in a cooler. This is what I will do for tailgating. Pull it off the smoker before we leave, wrap in foil and towel and can serve it an hour or so before the game and it is still hot. We start tailgating 6-8 hours before games.  :o :o

Iowa State fans tailgate???  JK...Theres a few Iowans on here!
  • #8 by imahawki on 30 Aug 2018

Iowa State fans tailgate???  JK...Theres a few Iowans on here!
    Present
  • #9 by elenis on 30 Aug 2018
  • Thanks for all the responses. I am going to give butcher paper a whirl this time around and hopefully it works well since it comes in 150 foot rolls. I usually have enough bark, but don't like when it is completely softened like it is when I wrap in foil. My big concern is keeping this one moist since the longhorn tends to be so lean. I will post pictures, if I can figure out how to, after my cook finishes on Monday.
  • #10 by triplebq on 30 Aug 2018
  • Not sure if you know any fellow BBQ people in your area. If so see if you could borrow a few sheets of butcher paper. The downside of butcher paper is it comes in huge rolls. Would be nice to try it before you commit to butcher paper.
  • #11 by Phrett on 31 Aug 2018
  • If you go to BBQ with Franklin ( Or Google search, “BBQ with Franklin brisket wrap test) web page you may find his episode where he cooks 3 briskets:  naked, foiledand butcher papered.  Reviews and compares taste, bark, etc for each  method.
  • #12 by Bob The Smoker on 31 Aug 2018
  • I bought 36" butcher paper and wrapped a few briskets. I like the way it comes out but sometimes I want hard bark. So sometimes I wrap, others I don't.
    150' is a lot of paper but I cut a long strip and cover my counter before I start preparation. It makes cleanup easier.
  • #13 by triplebq on 31 Aug 2018
  • Butcher paper also works great when I do seafood boils  8)
Pages:
Actions