Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by ArborAgent on 30 Aug 2018
  • Anyone know the different makers that use a "pellet drop" instead of an auger to push pellets in to the fire pot?

I'm pretty sure the FEC and Memphis do it that way. Does anyone else?
  • #2 by GatorDave on 30 Aug 2018
  • Yoder, Memphis, Grilla (original Grilla only), Fast Eddy/Cookshack PG series.  There may be others, but these are the ones I know of.
  • #3 by triplebq on 30 Aug 2018
  • Yoder is one
  • #4 by bregent on 30 Aug 2018
  • Yoder, Memphis, Grilla (original Grilla only), Fast Eddy/Cookshack PG series.  There may be others, but these are the ones I know of.

Also Kuma and Firecraft I believe.
  • #5 by W6YJ on 30 Aug 2018
  • And most if not all Louisiana Grills also.
  • #6 by ArborAgent on 30 Aug 2018
  • Memphis, at least, uses an auger to deliver the pellets to the top of the chute.  No auger tube, but there is one at the bottom of the divided pellet hopper to move them to the chute.

That makes sense, I assume they all must have an auger but I'm looking for ones that have a disconnect between the fire and the rest of the pellets.
  • #7 by KrautBurner on 12 Dec 2018

• That makes sense, I assume they all must have an auger but I'm looking for ones that have a disconnect between the fire and the rest of the pellets.

I really like this feature,
    it's one reason I was seriously considering FireCraft for my next pit

but I'm leaning towards a Blazin' or Rec-Tec as of right now (even tho neither have this feature)
  • #8 by sleebus.jones on 13 Dec 2018
  • Ehh, it doesn't really matter.  I have two grills that auger feed directly into the pot, haven't had any problems over the past two years I've been using them.  I don't think it should be a deciding factor.
  • #9 by Conumdrum on 13 Dec 2018
  • Memphis, at least, uses an auger to deliver the pellets to the top of the chute.  No auger tube, but there is one at the bottom of the divided pellet hopper to move them to the chute.

That makes sense, I assume they all must have an auger but I'm looking for ones that have a disconnect between the fire and the rest of the pellets.

Yoder.  I have one, never a burn pot problem.
  • #10 by rdsbucks on 13 Dec 2018
  • Having had both I think it's fair to say that the falling pellet system is an upgrade over the pushing pellet one. In my PG 500 the auger is very short and there is less of a chance for a breakdown.
  • #11 by Osborn Cox on 13 Dec 2018
  • Ehh, it doesn't really matter.  I have two grills that auger feed directly into the pot, haven't had any problems over the past two years I've been using them.  I don't think it should be a deciding factor.

I think it does matter if you are looking for a grill that can achieve very high temps, at least it does to me for peace of mind.    When you get a roaring fire going in the pot I like the gap between the fuel source and the fire.   It would not be a deciding factor for me for a pure slow and low smoker, but I had an auger/hopper fire when experimenting with how hot I could get my Traeger and it would make me nervous to try and run 600* with a straight auger.
  • #12 by KrautBurner on 03 Nov 2019

I think it does matter if you are looking for a grill that can achieve very high temps, at least it does to me for peace of mind.    When you get a roaring fire going in the pot I like the gap between the fuel source and the fire.   It would not be a deciding factor for me for a pure slow and low smoker, but I had an auger/hopper fire when experimenting with how hot I could get my Traeger and it would make me nervous to try and run 600* with a straight auger.

what does the temperature have to do with the pellet feed system
    I never had an auger/hopper fire with my old Traeger JR (H/M/S controller) when running 650*
    my Traeger BBQ124 doesnt go that high (because of the digital controller won't let it) 
    then again,  I've never had an issue with that one either  (or my father in law's BBQ075)
  • #13 by Bentley on 03 Nov 2019
  • Your Traeger Jr will hit 650°f?
  • #14 by KrautBurner on 03 Nov 2019
  • Your Traeger Jr will hit 650°f?

according to the dome thermometer it did

it didnt have a digital thermometer  (that cuts off the auger above 450 or 500)

I could get an easy 550+ with LumberJack pellets 
    and a solid 600 (would peak about 650) with the Charred Hickory pellets from LJ

I do believe that running the grill at these tempatures may have contributed to the heat deflector rusting/burning out as well as the drip tray
  • #15 by pmillen on 03 Nov 2019
  • what does the temperature have to do with the pellet feed system

I kinda' figured that the higher temperature required a larger fire producing a greater opportunity for the fire to migrate into the auger.  Then, too, the higher temperature/larger fire may ignite creosote or whatever else is built-up inside the pit, again making it easier for the fire to reach the auger.

I had a grill that was made with the auger tube ending at the fire box.  I would see scorched pellets in the tube when it shut down and cooled.  At the time I suspected that a hotter fire might have ignited them rather than just scorching them.  I eliminated my anxiety by selling the unit.
Pages:
Actions