Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoke Residue Removal  (Read 580 times)

SparkyLB

• Using less gas.
Smoke Residue Removal
« on: August 31, 2018, 03:22:48 PM »

The stainless-steel front shelf on my new pit has developed a stubborn residue from the scant amount of smoke that makes it through the roll-up door's gasket.  I'm an overkill kind of guy, so I figured I'd have done with it quick-like.   

I took brake cleaner and sprayed it on a cotton rag, cold grill, and wiped it carefully ONLY on the portion with the offending soot.  It had zero effect.  I'm guessing that smoke residue is not removed by solvent! 

Anyone familiar with a remedy for this eye sore?  Thanks. 
Right on to the friction of the day

Greg1

• Using less gas.
Re: Smoke Residue Removal
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 03:41:14 PM »

Try dissolving a teaspoon of oxy-clean in half a cup of peroxide and see if that will do the trick.

Louisiana LG900 Traeger Texas Elite 34 Big Horn SRPG 1093

Darwin

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 06:55:57 PM »

When I hear Stainless I think of Bar Keepers Friend cleaning products.   :clap:  I have not used it for smoke spots, but I do use it on SS pots, doors, tables...  Just wash real well to remove the cleaning product and buff with a soft cloth.  One of them has a bit of acid in the mix.  They have a line of products that can be found in most grocery & hardware stores.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 06:57:28 PM by Darwin »

SparkyLB

• Using less gas.
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 06:59:01 PM »

Thanks, all.  Never heard of Mr. Muscle, but I did a google search and found that a bit of white vinegar cuts through it like a knife through butter.  Maybe that's a slight exaggeration, but it works. . . . 

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 07:43:42 PM »

When I hear Stainless I think of Bar Keepers Friend cleaning products.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

SparkyLB

• Using less gas.
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 08:07:43 PM »

A poster did mention that above, and I neglected to acknowledge that when mentioned the first time, but I am familiar with it, and own some in both liquid and powder varieties.  It works great on my stainless sinks, and any other surfaces I'm willing to impart the odd scratch or two to, but maybe I'm in the stages of my pit ownership where I'm looking for a solution that doesn't scratch.  Barkeepers friend is an abrasive.  I'm aware of the "with the grain" concept, but I'd just as soon do it with a paper towel and warm soapy water if that'll work.  Unfortunately that won't--but I have found that vinegar will.  I'm just sure to remove any vinegar residue afterwards, and it's like the smoke wasn't even there.   No abrasive needed.  Lucky break. 

SparkyLB

• Using less gas.
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 08:38:13 PM »

Sd- 20 and Mr muscle cleaner will take it right off. I use sd-20 after 5-10 cooks and it gets 99% off...of a very stubborn stain, then break out the mr muscle. Your SS will look brand new. Best stuff I have used to clean SS

Memphis Elite
Yoder YS640 - sold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have barkeepers friend also...also have shelia shine....for cleaning the smoke stains and such, the sd-20 and mr muscle works better than either

Memphis Elite
Yoder YS640 - sold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yup.  Have we both been in the business a few years? :)

I too have Shiela Shine.  Some of the worst smelling stuff out there, but it's like a hard candy shell for steel!!  It's chemistry at its finest.  I use the Sheila Shine on the roll-top lid and the front shelf when cool, but it won't remove smoke residue either.  It's not only a great cleaner, but as the label says, it leaves a tough finish on steel.  Great top of the line product! 

Darwin

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 09:20:10 PM »

Bar Keepers Friend comes in a soft liquid and spray.

grilltreats

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 12:23:04 PM »

If just wanting to remove smoke residue, I use The Totally Awesome cleaner from the Dollar store.  It works really well straight out of the bottle and is only $3 per gallon.  For baked on, I use Bar Keepers friend.
Kamado Joe 18" with CyberQ Wi-Fi controller
REC TEC RT-700 with front shelf and sear kit since 6/1/18
Bullseye since 4/6/19

JoeGrilling

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 02:44:30 PM »

Bar Keepers Friend comes in a soft liquid and spray.

Bar Keepers Friend is amazing.  I read this thread and was cleaning my grill area this morning and found my stainless steel grill table was speckled in rust spots.  This table is over a year old and I never had a problem with it before.  My guess is the rust was caused by the glaze I used on smoke salmon last weekend.  I tried 409 and later white vinegar on the spots but the spots did not come off.  Bar Keepers Friend plus 409 got the spots right out. 

I love these tables but the stainless must be a pretty low grade.  They are roughly 2' x 4' and purchased from Amazon.  I use them instead of the flip up shelves the grill manufacturers charge an arm and leg for.  I guess the rule for now on is to clean them immediately after a cook.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 08:00:33 PM by JoeGrilling »

Phrett

• Using less gas.
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 05:10:19 PM »

I use the cleaner for my glass fireplace doors.  Quick, efficient and not much Mr. Muscle required.
Memphis Pro GMG DC Electric vertical smoker Blues, booze and BBQ

silverbullet

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I thought my House was Child Proof then one got in
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2018, 09:51:41 PM »

I gave up cleaning the stainless lid on my GMG DC after a couple grease fires & a few years of use. Put some Bar Keepers friend to work on it & it looks like new. Same as the lid on mu LG 800 Elite brought it back to new as well after a fire. Good stuff!!!
GMG DC Camp Chef WW24
Pages: [1]   Go Up