Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by okie smokie on 31 Aug 2018
  • My daughter asked me what pellet grill to buy in the range of $500 to $1000.  I went through the specs on all the common brand names from PitBoss, Camp Chef, Traeger, LG series, Rec Tec, Z Grills, and sears, Cabella etc.  They want a family size up to 700 sq in. After looking over the ones in that group, both from the standpoint of quality build, controller type, and resistance to wear, tear and weather I decided that you gets what you pay for.  RecTec Stampede wins it hands down IMO.  Cost delivered is $899.  Second place goes to LG700.  Both have similar PID controls. The LG does have the flame station and the RecTec does not, but is able to provide excellent sear like results with the use of GrillGrates. I have the Blaz'n Grand Slam and do not miss the sear station. (although they do have one which IMO is not satisfactory.)  Also, I think that the 304 SS for barrel, grates, drip pan, diffuser, fire pot is a major selling point for RecTec.  Also, the ceramic starter is only found in the Stampede for that group.  Not likely to ever have to replace it is a big positive. I would have liked to look at FireCraft Q450, but it is not available at this time. 
    I realize that neither of my pics has fire pot clean out, nor pellet dump, but no big problem in doing a vacuum clean every 3 or 4 cooks and also just use up the pellets in the hopper.  What say you?   ???
  • #2 by triplebq on 31 Aug 2018
  • I say get the Rec Tec and don't look back. I'm sure she will love it.
  • #3 by BigDave83 on 01 Sep 2018
  • if she likes your blazin why not save a bit more for one of those, you already know the ins and outs. The Rec Tec barrel is not 304 it is 430 or something like that. there is a silverbac has double wall cooking area made by Grilla that folks seem to be just as obsessive about as the Rec Tec, the Zgrills have some good promos, I would suspect the controller isn't as good but it could be replaced.
  • #4 by Ross77 on 01 Sep 2018
  • For what it's worth I have the RecTec 680 and it has been a solid smoker for 2 years.  The only issues I've had were ignitors failing but they were the old style.  My neighbor has the Stampede and it seems like a good smoker.  The new controller is very nice.

One thing to note about the Stampede is the thickness of the stainless steel barrel and lid.  It's thinner than the RT Bull model.  The warranty is also shorter on the Stampede, 2 years vs 6 on the Bull.

Personally, I'd spend a little extra and get the RT Bull.  Larger, thicker steel and longer warranty.
  • #5 by grilltreats on 01 Sep 2018
  • I think you made a wise choice picking the Stampede as #1.  It's really hard to beat the Wi-Fi controller it has.  You would have to jump up to the $5000 Memphis Elite to come close to it.  The temp knob alone is worth it when changing temps instead of pushing buttons.  The LCD display also shows all temps and settings without having to push a toggle button, and can be easily seen in direct sunlight unlike the LED displays.  I went with the RT-700 because of it being out on my deck in the weather  with nothing to rust having the stainless chamber and hardware.  I am very pleased with mine and it gets hot fast and holds the temps exactly as I set them all night long.  The built-in dual probes are super handy along with the alarms on the Wi-Fi app to let you know the pit is good and the food is ready.  I bet the 590 heats up even quicker.
  • #6 by okie smokie on 06 Sep 2018
  • I've already posted a new note that I went ahead and bought the Stampede for both families.  Sorry I did not post it here.  Now waiting.
  • #7 by KrautBurner on 12 Dec 2018
  • I'd probably go with the Stampede from Rec-Tec
    or maybe the FireCraft

• #8 by KrautBurner on 12 Dec 2018
  • I've already posted a new note that I went ahead and bought the Stampede for both families.  Sorry I did not post it here.  Now waiting.

oops,

just saw this

I think you made the right choice
  • #9 by Osborn Cox on 12 Dec 2018
  • I'd probably go with the Stampede from Rec-Tec
    or maybe the FireCraft

FYI- all indications point to Firecraft being out of business
  • #10 by okie smokie on 12 Dec 2018
  • My son and daughter have had the Stampede now for a couple of months and are very pleased with the performance.  Big thumbs up for the choice I made. 
  • #11 by W6YJ on 12 Dec 2018

• FYI- all indications point to Firecraft being out of business

That definitely seems to be the case.

After seeing KrautBurner's post about possibly getting a Q450, I went to their web site to see if they had magically survived and had stock again after not having any for about a year, and the site is gone.
  • #12 by grilltreats on 16 Dec 2018
  • The Stampede and Bullseye combo will be hard to beat.
Pages:
Actions