Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Simple is best  (Read 400 times)

Chris__M

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • Food Adventure
Simple is best
« on: September 02, 2018, 10:27:53 AM »

As I mentioned at the start of summer, while my GMG DC is fully WiFi equipped, my old Traeger is currently running on a timed relay of my own devising. It works fine, but it doesn't give me the ability to monitor the grill while in the house.

So, a while back, I bought an inexpensive bluetooth thermometer, with 4 probe channels.

This works great when I am at the grill, it has a large display that switches through the probes.

I can also call it up on my phone or tablet; and it works fine at the back of my house. However, bluetooth being what it is, and because my BBQ is behind my garage - at the foot of my garden - the signal doesn't extend to the front of my house, where the lounge and my office is. It has too many walls to go through. This is a pain, as I do a lot of my cooking during the day, while I work from home.

I wondered if there was such a thing as a bluetooth relay, and googled for one for some time without luck.

Then it came to me.

5m 2.5mm jack to socket extension leads, 4 of them, each costing just over a pound. This lets me simply move the thermometer device along the side of the garage, visible to the garden, 4m closer and in direct sight to the house.

Result, I can now look up and see temps from anywhere in the garden, and I am getting a strong bluetooth signal all the way through to the office. The one downside is that I no longer have a direct view of the device when actually fiddling with the BBQ, but that isn't a problem, as it is more for monitoring than setting up.

I wasn't sure if the longer lead might affect the connection between the probes and the thermometer. But it seems perfectly happy.

Sometimes, simple is best.
Chris LG FS Legacy 1200, GMG Davy Crockett, OnlyFire Tabletop Pellet Grill, Weber Smokey Joe, ProQ Cold Smoking Cabinet

dk117

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: Simple is best
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 10:35:21 AM »

I suppose I didn't piece together the puzzle before.  We've got a bunch of retired folks on here, but there's also a lot of us work from home types.  Fortunately for me my 200 sq foot detached office (you'd maybe think garden shed if you didn't come in and see the 3 monitors, TV, couch, and two laptops)  has a nice line of sight to the smokers, maybe 50 feet total.  No bluetooth problems here.   

DK
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2004 Vermont Castings Natural Gas Grill

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 10:41:03 AM »

I really like that this site has smart. creative people who will share their experiences.  Thanks Chris!

MysticRhythms

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 11:02:00 AM »

It's funny when we spend time working out a problem in our heads only to have the simple solution pop into place. Then I think, what took me so long?
Don't ask me, I'm just improvising. 
PG500
Pages: [1]   Go Up