Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by pmillen on 02 Sep 2018

• This is a Prime 1¾-inch New York cut from Costco.  It was rather heavily seasoned on both sides with SPG.

The steps–
    • Smoked as low as possible for an hour
    • Sous vide for two hours at 135°
    • Pan browned on the kitchen range over MMH heat (6 on a scale of 10)

It didn't seem to be as dark and seared as the photo shows.  It was more of a dark brown.  We don't like black char, we just try to brown the exterior for appearance and the Malliard flavor.

A much better steak than a typical steakhouse.
  • #2 by Bentley on 02 Sep 2018
  • How much does the browning raise the IT?
  • #3 by pmillen on 02 Sep 2018
  • I didn't measure the IT, either before or after browning.  It doesn't raise it enough for us to notice that the steaks are more done than what we wanted.

BTW, I tried to brown it with a SearzAll.

This thing.  What a joke!  It takes forever.  Use a pan for browning.
  • #4 by cookingjnj on 02 Sep 2018
  • Looks great p. Eventually I will need to get a Sous Vide set up to try out. Seeing you and others here use the sous vide method really looks interesting.
  • #5 by hughver on 03 Sep 2018
  • BTW, I tried to brown it with a SearzAll. What a joke!  It takes forever.

Amen, I gave the Searzall a try and gave up on it very quickly. In order of preference for searing, I use Gas inferred grill, Cast iron pan, torch(not Searzall), BGE and last but not least the DC.
  • #6 by hughver on 03 Sep 2018

I find that pan browning tends to raise the temperature more than other methods. If I'm going to use a pan, I cook the product to a few degrees lower to compensate.
  • #7 by urnmor on 03 Sep 2018
  • Rather then use a searzall or one of the blow torches you find in stores like william sonoma I recommend you purchase a handheld butane torch from a hardware store.  Not sure of the price but they work like a champ.  I use mine for both baking and cooking.  However I do think the grill or the pan is the best to sear.  and in a pinch you can use it to do small welding jobs or lighting a charcoal grill :cool:
  • #8 by Ssteppe on 03 Sep 2018
  • I do the same thing, except sous vide at 125 and sear on the flat side of my Grill Grates.
  • #9 by pmillen on 03 Sep 2018
  • I'm convinced that charcoal imparts a unique flavor.  It may be from the combustion or from the grease dripping on the coals.  Maybe both.

I may try to brown the meat with a charcoal fire some time.  It could get complicated, tho'.
  • #10 by Kristin Meredith on 03 Sep 2018
  • Trooper uses one of those chimneys with charcoal to finish off his steaks.  Pretty quick and contained as far as I can tell.
  • #11 by TechMOGogy on 03 Sep 2018
  • The torches add a gas flavor I find
    This summer has been the summer of charcoal for me.
    Never used it and now do steaks on it while my normal steak tools have sat around all summer :)
    A charcoal chimney “broiler” is a great way to get intense sear quickly with no flare ups (like Trooper uses) if you don’t want the whole charcoal bbq thing
  • #12 by hughver on 04 Sep 2018
  • #13 by bregent on 04 Sep 2018

I find that pan browning tends to raise the temperature more than other methods. If I'm going to use a pan, I cook the product to a few degrees lower to compensate.

What some folks also do is SV at their desired final temp, then chill in an ice bath for a bit before searing.
  • #14 by pmillen on 04 Sep 2018
  • What some folks also do is SV at their desired final temp, then chill in an ice bath for a bit before searing.

I don't see a need for this.  The only time I've chilled meat after SVing is when the meat had a rub that was more complex than SPG.  I don't think complex rubs SV well.  Some flavors seem to disappear while others grow.

If it has more than SPG on it, like ribs, I'll SV the ribs, rapidly chill them and then rub and smoke them.  Chilling them provides more smoking time.

But I rarely do this any more.  It's just seems convoluted to me—cook it to make it tender and the perfect temperature throughout, chill it, cook it again...
  • #15 by bregent on 04 Sep 2018
  • I haven't chilled in an ice bath unless I am intending to finish at another time/day, so don't have direct experience. But I think if the idea is to minimize banding, you could chill slightly to reduce exterior temp before searing. I'll give this a try with some NY's I plan on cooking later this week.
Pages:
Actions