Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Canadian John on 03 Sep 2018

•  I bit the bullet and bought one on sale; yellow colour, case and receiver stand.  I used it on the last pork butt cook to monitor the butt and grate temps that was cooked on the Memphis..Well, I was super intrigued.

It was so interesting to monitor the goings-on at a glance..I had the Memphis probe in place as well, just to see the differences and to shut down the pit at the set temp. All temp readings were in sync.

So for me - NEW TOY/ NEW JOY.  What do I  do with my DOT now?
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 03 Sep 2018
  • You can use the Dot to measure the second level grill temp or temps in a different piece of met...many options for keeping it.
  • #3 by GREG-B on 03 Sep 2018
  • I use my DOT to check probe placement 1/2 way through a cook.  Inevitably I always put the probe in the wrong spot and have to adjust it.
  • #4 by Goosehunter51 on 30 Sep 2018
  • I love my Smoke, especially when cooking this Summer.  That way I watch my temps under the AC
  • #5 by MP09 on 30 Sep 2018
  • It was a great investment to me and a great gift idea for the coming holidays. 
  • #6 by Jon515 on 31 Aug 2019
  • I used to love mine, but I’ve had a lot of trouble.  I’ve had quite a few probes fail for no apparent reason and they always happen to be out of warranty. After the last one I told the rep this was my last go around with them, one more product failure that isn’t covered and I’m switching and writing about my displeasure every review opportunity I have, they didn’t care.  Good luck if you have problems.
  • #7 by MP09 on 31 Aug 2019
  • Love mine and gave a couple as gifts.
  • #8 by Bar-B-Lew on 31 Aug 2019
  • I used to love mine, but I’ve had a lot of trouble.  I’ve had quite a few probes fail for no apparent reason and they always happen to be out of warranty. After the last one I told the rep this was my last go around with them, one more product failure that isn’t covered and I’m switching and writing about my displeasure every review opportunity I have, they didn’t care.  Good luck if you have problems.

What issues have you had with the probes?
  • #9 by Jon515 on 31 Aug 2019
  • They just fail.  I’ve had 4 go no for no reason, just all of a sudden dead.  (I’ve burned 2 on my own with flare ups but I don’t count those)
  • #10 by Canadian John on 01 Sep 2019

•  Probes - With all the thermometers that use probes, I can only recall one failure. It was used on my Dot. It just failed to work after a trouble free cook, gentle cleaning - probe wipe only, kink free coiling and hung inside out of the sun..
     When using any remote probe thermometer I shield the cable from direct heat. That is the gap at the outer edge of the drip tray on a pellet pit..Shielding can be aluminum foil or a piece of stainless sheet metal.
  • #11 by GREG-B on 01 Sep 2019
  • I've only had one Thermoworks probe fail and that was due to operator error.  Now I use them carefully and keep away from direct heat and NEVER kink them while in storage.  Vey happy with my Smoke.
  • #12 by bregent on 01 Sep 2019
  • I've probably got 8-10 probe type digital thermometers going back about 25 years, and never had a probe fail on any. Some of the thermometers themselves have failed, but not the probes.  I've had several that got flaky due to moisture getting inside, but that is remedied by placing them in an oven for a few hours. Try that next time you have one that isn't working quite right.
  • #13 by Jon515 on 01 Sep 2019
  • I’ll try that, the last one that really made me mad was their waterproof probe. (I only got it because it was a small diameter and short never put in any liquid). Their basic response of “oh well” is what really set me off. I’m currently looking at Fireboards.
  • #14 by Bar-B-Lew on 02 Sep 2019
  • I have never had a problem with any of my Thermoworks equipment.  Sounds like you are not happy with your experience.  My advise would be to move on to something else and leave your grudge at the curb.
Pages:
Actions