Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Kristin Meredith on 04 Sep 2018
  • I saw this in the paper, but have not tried.  It seems to me you could use your pit to grill instead of a broiler.  If anyone tries it, I would love to hear your impressions and maybe see a picture.

INGREDIENTS

1/2 medium white onion
    3 ripe, baseball-size peaches, cut in half and pitted (1 1/2 pounds total)
    2 plump jalapeño peppers, cut in half from top to bottom, ribs and seeds removed
    1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
    1 tablespoon honey
    1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
    1/2 teaspoon coriander seed, crushed
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or more as needed
    1 teaspoon minced cilantro leaves, for garnish

DIRECTIONS

Position an oven rack about 6 inches from the broiler element; preheat the broiler. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.

Arrange the onion half, peaches and jalapenos, cut sides up, on the baking sheet. Sprinkle them with the ancho chile powder. Broil for 10 to 12 minutes, turning the sheet as needed, until all the pieces' edges are blistered and blackened.

Transfer the mixture to a cutting board. Discard the peach halves' skins, which should slip off easily.

For a smooth hot sauce, coarsely chop the broiled onion, jalapenos and peaches, then combine in a blender. Puree until fairly smooth, then stop to add the honey, lime juice, coriander seed and salt; puree until smooth. Taste, and add more salt, as needed.

To make a chunky salsa, combine the onion, jalapenos and peaches in a food processor; pulse just long enough to reduce the mixture to smaller, discrete pieces. (Alternatively, you can chop the ingredients by hand.) Transfer to a bowl; stir in the honey, lime juice, coriander seed and salt. Taste, and add more salt, as needed.

Garnish the smooth hot sauce or chunky salsa with the cilantro and serve right away, with lime wedges.

RECIPE SOURCE
    From Bring It! columnist and cookbook author Cathy Barrow.

• #2 by pmillen on 04 Sep 2018
  • I'm thinkin' about it.

Zone two on my PG500 might work well.
Pages:
Actions