Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by jgrayson on 04 Sep 2018
  • Hello,

I went out yesterday to cook up some chicken.  One whole bird that we spatchcocked, several leg quarters, and a bunch of wings.  When I turned on the Q450, the controller read-out was flashing 180  and done.  The machine would heat up to my set point - 275 degrees, and then immediately begin to cool down.  I realized that the controller believed I was operating with a temperature probe attached (I was not), and the controller believed that my cook was complete.  After realizing that's what was going on, I got a temperature probe.  After plugging it in and then inserting it into the breast of my whole chicken the cook proceeded as planned.

Has anybody else run into this?  I'm curious if this will be an on-going issue for me.  I suppose that if the issue persists that I will get a lot of use out of the temperature probe. 

If this gets worse, does anybody know if there are any controllers around to replace the original one?

• #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 04 Sep 2018
  • Seems like for some reason it thinks it is in the program cook mode.  Is there a way to turn it off?  I have never used that feature on my Memphis (older controller model).  I think they are similar controllers.
  • #3 by bucky919 on 05 Sep 2018
  • I have never seen this happen, but I would have tried unplugging it and see if it did it again. Maybe with the grill off spray some electrical cleaner in the probe port, maybe some moisture or dirt got in there.
  • #4 by jgrayson on 11 Sep 2018
  • Hello,

Just a quick update on this issue.  I have cooked a few more times and found the issue to be intermittent.  My next cook was burgers and I didn't have a problem.  Then I did chicken again and had the problem.  My next cook was flank steak and again the problem surfaced.  Each time the controller works perfectly when I get the temperature probe installed.

I'll go with the suggestion to use some electrical cleaner in the probe port to see if it helps.

• #5 by W6YJ on 20 Sep 2018
  • Curious to see if anyone from Firecraft ever responded to your support query.
  • #6 by pmillen on 20 Sep 2018
  • Curious to see if anyone from Firecraft ever responded to your support query.

I think FireCraft has folded their tent.

I Heard It Through The Grapevine
                                   Marvin Gaye
  • #7 by jgrayson on 20 Sep 2018
  • Well, the controller problem has gotten worse for me.  I tried to do some chicken last night, but the controller would not turn on.  I tested electrical connection to the smoker with a desk lamp, and that would turn on.  I then had my son plug it in, and I looked at the controller screen.  Immediately after plugging it in, the controller responded with "Q450" and some number which I assume is the firmware version of the controller.  This confirmed for me that power is getting to the controller, but it still would not turn on.

I am going out of town this weekend, so I have halted my testing and cooked my chicken for dinner over in the charcoal grill.

I have sent an e-mail message to the Fire Craft support address.  It's has only been a few hours, so I am hesitant to say they are dragging their heels with responding to me.  I'll try calling them this evening when I'm able to stand next to the smoker.

• #8 by Bentley on 20 Sep 2018
  • After hearing a few things in the last couple of weeks, I think you maybe right!

Curious to see if anyone from Firecraft ever responded to your support query.

I think FireCraft has folded their tent.

I Heard It Through The Grapevine
                                   Marvin Gaye
  • #9 by ylr on 20 Sep 2018
  • Doesn't sound good; this is from their Facebook page:

Brent Gros
    September 18 at 4:26 PM
    Is FireCraft still in business? I’ve been waiting on a replacement control board for two months and no one is answering the phone lines.
  • #10 by W6YJ on 20 Sep 2018
  • Oh, that's not good at all.

With the massive product line removal they went through, then the Q450 going out of stock for the last six months or so, the Firecraft rep no longer posting here or at the old site, it definitely seems like the end of the road to me.

When jgrayson posted about his controller issues I thought maybe I should order a spare controller 'just in case'. At this point, that seems to now be unobtanium.

Hopefully my controller will outlast the Q450.

Sad....
  • #11 by bten on 20 Sep 2018
  • you may want to look at the new REC TEC wifi controller.  It is only $99, and comes with two probes.  The old Rec Tec controller was very similar to the Firecraft controller.  It may work.
  • #12 by bucky919 on 21 Sep 2018
  • I have one on order for my Firecraft, it does look like its going to be plug and play, back sides of the boards look almost identical. My ship date is the week of 10/8. Ill post when I receive it.
  • #13 by jgrayson on 21 Sep 2018
  • I think I will get in line for a RecTec controller now.  It seems that it takes a while to get one.
  • #14 by Mikro on 30 Sep 2018
  • This is disturbing news that I read here about Fire Craft. Figures they would fold, I always seem to pick a DUD!! Mine is rusting badly, now my probe is dead. My son in law is having no issues yet. I should be in Austin for Thanksgiving, maybe I will just go by and see what is going on?
    Dang it, this aggravates me.
    MK
  • #15 by Canadian John on 30 Sep 2018

•  Sorry to hear about your experiences with Fire Craft..That is a major let down for sure.  I am sure there are adaptable replacement parts that will work.  Good luck.
Pages:
Actions