Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by W6YJ on 01 Oct 2018
  • I have sent an e-mail message to the Fire Craft support address.  It's has only been a few hours, so I am hesitant to say they are dragging their heels with responding to me.  I'll try calling them this evening when I'm able to stand next to the smoker.

jgrason,

It has been ten days since you emailed FireCraft. Wondering if they ever got back to you?

Curious to see if anyone from Firecraft ever responded to your support query.

I think FireCraft has folded their tent.

I Heard It Through The Grapevine
                                   Marvin Gaye

Paul,

Looks like you are probably right. Although someone is there hiding behind the curtain. I ordered another cover as the one I have will likely fall apart before the Q450 itself does, and it showed up. Figured I didn't have anything to lose as I could always contest the charge if they didn't deliver.

Crossing my fingers (and eyes) that my controller stays healthy. If it fails, I'll be looking at peoples success in installing a Rec Tec WIFI controller.
  • #17 by sbryant24 on 06 Oct 2018
  • I really hate to hear this, sold my other unit to get this one. The Q450 has been a great unit so far.  I'm sure there is a suitable replacement controller somewhere.
  • #18 by ZCZ on 10 Oct 2018
  • This is disturbing news that I read here about Fire Craft. Figures they would fold, I always seem to pick a DUD!! Mine is rusting badly, now my probe is dead. My son in law is having no issues yet. I should be in Austin for Thanksgiving, maybe I will just go by and see what is going on?
    Dang it, this aggravates me.
    MK

Do you have pictures of your rust?  In what area/what component is rusting?

Z
  • #19 by jgrayson on 10 Oct 2018
  • I have sent an e-mail message to the Fire Craft support address.  It's has only been a few hours, so I am hesitant to say they are dragging their heels with responding to me.  I'll try calling them this evening when I'm able to stand next to the smoker.

jgrason,

It has been ten days since you emailed FireCraft. Wondering if they ever got back to you?

No, they never responded.  The message didn't bounce back, so it was successfully delivered to their mail server.  I have tried calling a few time, and also no luck with that.

I am in line for a RecTec controller.  I believe it's ship date is the last week of October.  Hopefully I can get it installed with minimal difficulty.  If it is a problem I have a backup plan.  My next door neighbor is an electrical engineer that loves to tinker with stuff.  He also likes BBQ.  I will have no shame in approaching him for assistance.

• #20 by W6YJ on 10 Oct 2018

• No, they never responded.  The message didn't bounce back, so it was successfully delivered to their mail server.  I have tried calling a few time, and also no luck with that.

I am in line for a RecTec controller.  I believe it's ship date is the last week of October.  Hopefully I can get it installed with minimal difficulty.  If it is a problem I have a backup plan.  My next door neighbor is an electrical engineer that loves to tinker with stuff.  He also likes BBQ.  I will have no shame in approaching him for assistance.

Looking forward to seeing how the RecTec controller works out. Also would like to hear how the change in fan control methodology* changes (if any) your smoke profiles.

(*) The Q450 and Kuma use variable speed fan control and from what I have read the RecTec uses pulsed fan power to set air supply rates. I have absolutely no idea which is better - or if there really is any significant difference.
  • #21 by bucky919 on 11 Oct 2018
  • I have my rectec controller for the Q450 sitting on the kitchen table, hope to get it installed by Saturday.
  • #22 by Jenney72chevy on 11 Oct 2018
  • Hey guys I had a controller issue on 3/28, firecraft's fast customer service immediately got back to me. Said the parts were out of stock but expect in within 2 weeks. They would ship it out the day it arrived. A month later they updated me with it being a backordered part and they would update me on the status and a tracking number once it ships. Also providing a shipping label to box the old part up and send it back. Then they stopped answering the phones. Emails were getting generic responses, no longer employee signatures on the bottom. Oct 4th they reached out with a shipping label requesting the controller to be sent to them for repair.  I responded that I will ship it to them once I have received the replacement as was agreed through their email. The response was that they won't be issuing me a repaired part until they receive the broken one and it will be solved asap. So now I am stalled out. Reported with the bbb, next is reporting to AMEX. I have responded with screenshots of them promising a tracking number and instructions on replacing the part and sending them the defective part. No response.
  • #23 by Jenney72chevy on 11 Oct 2018
  • I have since looked into the issue. The ribbon on the controller chafes at a 180* turn along the sharp stainless. Chafes the cable and moisture corrodes the connection. There are 7 pins on the connector and 6 buttons on the controller. Pin #7 is the panel ground, the others are the controller button outputs. You can jump the pins to get function back. I have switches jumped in to control temperature for now. Pin 3 and 7 jumped drops the temperature.
  • #24 by W6YJ on 11 Oct 2018
  • Jenny,

Great find. I wonder if jgrason will see the same failure if he removes the side cover.

I remember seeing photos of the Q450 insides around the controller, but can't find them now.

I tied looking back at the old site thinking that is where I saw them, but it has crashed.

Does the cable have connectors at both ends, or is it soldered at one end?

Any chance of a photo of the cable, connector(s), and where it is chafing?
  • #25 by Jenney72chevy on 12 Oct 2018
  • I'll grab a photo when the weather clears up a bit. Honestly my memory is a bit foggy but I feel like the cable was direct to the board on one end. Otherwise I would have sourced a replacement.
  • #26 by ZCZ on 12 Oct 2018
  • Boards might have been made by Roanoke Controls down in Alabama.
    https://www.roanokecontrols.com/
    Maybe they can help with a replacement?

Z
  • #27 by Jenney72chevy on 12 Oct 2018
  • Seems the shipping label is for Roanoke, AL. I guess they are having me send it to them for repair/replacement. I still feel weird about the entire thing. I'm not budging unless I have another controller in hand. I might  go with the rectec and see what happens after with the defective controller.
  • #28 by ZCZ on 12 Oct 2018
  • Roanoke is a reputable company and will take good care of you. Tell Tony Vandiver that Al Johnson says high. He was my go-to guy there when I worked for Memphis and wanted to make or test changes to the old Memphis ITC controller.  Tho he may not be there as that was quite a while ago.
    Z
  • #29 by jgrayson on 04 Nov 2018
  • I have since looked into the issue. The ribbon on the controller chafes at a 180* turn along the sharp stainless. Chafes the cable and moisture corrodes the connection. There are 7 pins on the connector and 6 buttons on the controller. Pin #7 is the panel ground, the others are the controller button outputs. You can jump the pins to get function back. I have switches jumped in to control temperature for now. Pin 3 and 7 jumped drops the temperature.

Now that I have removed the controller and replaced it with a RecTec controller I have the FireCraft controller right in front of me.  I'm looking at the ribbon cable, but I don't see the chafing that you describe.  Here are a couple pictures of the cable.  Maybe someone else can spot some corrosion.

If anybody wants to see a picture of another section let me know.  It's easy for me to get to right now.  I will also be willing to send it somebody at a later date is there is some interest in doing some testing.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Pages:
Actions