Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by pz on 08 Sep 2017
  • This was a hamburger piled high on Texas toast with pulled pork, caramelized onion, and Sweet Baby Ray's Chipotle BBQ sauce.
    • Freshly ground ribeye was used for the burger
    • Pulled pork on the SRG
    • Onions were caramelized in a crock pot - that's the easiest solution I have ever found.

Everything was homemade, except for the bread and Sweet Baby Ray's of course  ;)

• #2 by pmillen on 08 Sep 2017
  • A gastronomic masterpiece.
  • #3 by Quadman750 on 08 Sep 2017
  • That looks amazing,what is the process for the caramelized onions in the crockpot
  • #4 by pz on 09 Sep 2017
  • Thanks gents!  ;)

One of the easiest cooks you can imagine because the crock pot does most of the work.
    • Choose about 5-6 (more or less) plain yellow onions - enough to fill your crock or however much you want. I usually do a full pot since it uses the same electricity, takes lots of time, and the onions freeze well.
    • Slice like you see in the photo below
    • Put 1/2 stick or more of butter into pot and pile in as many onions as you can
    • Set the crock pot to the lowest setting and let it go overnight

In the morning stir the onions just to mix things up and let it go until you see a nice caramel color - as light or as dark as you like them - purely a matter of personal taste. Sometimes I like them really light and other times dark. The resulting onions will be so sweet people will think you added sugar.

The onions will reduce to about 1/4 the volume of the pot, but that is still lots of onion, so what I do is pack small freezer bags of onion into about serving size - they last for a long time frozen.

I did a test last spring using sweet onion, red onion, and plain yellow. My wife did a blind tasting and chose the plain yellow onions as her favorite, which suited me fine because they are the cheapest! I do not know why, but they seem to have the sweetest and most flavorful taste.

• #5 by Bobitis on 09 Sep 2017
  • Outstanding idea!  :clap:
  • #6 by Quadman750 on 09 Sep 2017
  • Thank you so much, I usually stand in front of the stove for hours making sure they don't burn. I make these for my pulled pork pizza's. You should post in the recipe section.
  • #7 by Queball on 09 Sep 2017
  • Ground Rib Eye ..... Had to be a killer burger! .... The sandwich looks great. Thanks for the onion tip. Guess now I need a crock pot!
    • Queball
  • #8 by pmillen on 09 Sep 2017

Am I the only person not seeing the image?

EDIT:  I read another post and came back to this one and the photo was visible.  Curious.  And curious about this list command that I can't erase -->[/list]
    • #9 by Quadman750 on 09 Sep 2017
    • Works for me
    • #10 by Bobitis on 09 Sep 2017

Am I the only person not seeing the image?

I have found that most photos here work fine from home. At werk is another matter.  >:( We have so many clamps on internet viewing that it actually impedes my job.  ::)
        [/list]
      • #11 by pz on 09 Sep 2017
      • I goofed on posting the image Paul - should be okay now (hopefully)

Thanks guys - not really my idea though - either read it on a web site or saw it in a cooking show. Problem is that my memory is fading as I'm aging  ;D

Heres a pic of what they look like warmed on the left, and a frozen package on the right

• #12 by Maineac on 29 Sep 2017
      • Thanks gents!  ;)

One of the easiest cooks you can imagine because the crock pot does most of the work.
        • Choose about 5-6 (more or less) plain yellow onions - enough to fill your crock or however much you want. I usually do a full pot since it uses the same electricity, takes lots of time, and the onions freeze well.
        • Put 1/2 stick or more of butter into pot and pile in as many onions as you can
        • Set the crock pot to the lowest setting and let it go overnight

In the morning stir the onions just to mix things up and let it go until you see a nice caramel color - as light or as dark as you like them - purely a matter of personal taste. Sometimes I like them really light and other times dark. The resulting onions will be so sweet people will think you added sugar.

The onions will reduce to about 1/4 the volume of the pot, but that is still lots of onion, so what I do is pack small freezer bags of onion into about serving size - they last for a long time frozen.

I did a test last spring using sweet onion, red onion, and plain yellow. My wife did a blind tasting and chose the plain yellow onions as her favorite, which suited me fine because they are the cheapest! I do not know why, but they seem to have the sweetest and most flavorful taste.

I have frozen my caramelized onions to have some ahead but I didn't know about the crock pot or that yellow tops red, and I had thought about it.  Thanks for the tips, PZ. 
        Also, the burger looks top notch and if that yellow is cheese, I'm on-board.  I bet it was wicked good.  Best burger I've made so far was rib eye and boneless short ribs 50/50.
      • #13 by Queball on 29 Sep 2017
      • There may be a run on rib eyes and yellow onions!  ???
        • Queball
      • #14 by pz on 29 Sep 2017
      • Also, the burger looks top notch and if that yellow is cheese, I'm on-board.  I bet it was wicked good.  Best burger I've made so far was rib eye and boneless short ribs 50/50.

The yellow was actually mustard Maineac, but now that you mention it, cheese sure would have been good!  Your burger mix sounds really good - of all the grinds I've tried so far, my wife likes tri-tip burger the best because of the flavor.  She likes the ribeye burgers, but says that the flavor is not as robust as tri-tip. Adding ground short rib might just be the ticket - thanks for the tip  ;)
      • #15 by Maineac on 29 Sep 2017
      • I haven't tried tri-tip yet.  I thought it might be a little lean but maybe I could add some fat?  I think we have an experiment brewing.  It's funny.  A couple of years ago I couldn't find a tri-tip anywhere.  I scoured the state.  I mean it's not like we don't have critters here.  Anyway, I finally got a butcher to cut one off a bottom sirloin for me.  Now they are available every single day in our grocery store.  ??
      Pages:
      Actions