Recipe Section > Sandwiches

Burger with pulled pork

(1/4) > >>

pz:
This was a hamburger piled high on Texas toast with pulled pork, caramelized onion, and Sweet Baby Ray's Chipotle BBQ sauce.

* Freshly ground ribeye was used for the burger
* Pulled pork on the SRG
* Onions were caramelized in a crock pot - that's the easiest solution I have ever found.
Everything was homemade, except for the bread and Sweet Baby Ray's of course  ;)

pmillen:
A gastronomic masterpiece.

Quadman750:
That looks amazing,what is the process for the caramelized onions in the crockpot

pz:
Thanks gents!  ;)

One of the easiest cooks you can imagine because the crock pot does most of the work.

* Choose about 5-6 (more or less) plain yellow onions - enough to fill your crock or however much you want. I usually do a full pot since it uses the same electricity, takes lots of time, and the onions freeze well.
* Slice like you see in the photo below
* Put 1/2 stick or more of butter into pot and pile in as many onions as you can
* Set the crock pot to the lowest setting and let it go overnight
In the morning stir the onions just to mix things up and let it go until you see a nice caramel color - as light or as dark as you like them - purely a matter of personal taste. Sometimes I like them really light and other times dark. The resulting onions will be so sweet people will think you added sugar.

The onions will reduce to about 1/4 the volume of the pot, but that is still lots of onion, so what I do is pack small freezer bags of onion into about serving size - they last for a long time frozen.

I did a test last spring using sweet onion, red onion, and plain yellow. My wife did a blind tasting and chose the plain yellow onions as her favorite, which suited me fine because they are the cheapest! I do not know why, but they seem to have the sweetest and most flavorful taste.

Bobitis:
Outstanding idea!  :clap:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View