Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by pz on 29 Sep 2017
  • It is really flavorful, and I save fat cap trimmed from brisket for just such an occasion. Often however, there is enough fat to satisfy us.

Cash & Carry just had tri-tip for $2.78/lb and $3.47/lb peeled. It is normally about $5/lb at Winco, and they often have it in sale for $2.98
  • #17 by Saddleman on 05 Jan 2018
  •  I have copied your recipe for your onions and going to give it a shot. Have you ever  vacuum packed your onions and then to heat them put them in boiling water? Keep smoking Dan
  • #18 by Saddleman on 05 Jan 2018
  •  I just posted that I copied your recipe. But then I got to thinking I make a beer burger and stuff the inside of it with caramelized onion and red and green peppers. I’ve attached a photo do you think your crockpot method would work for all three ingredients? I’m going to try it anyway.
  • #19 by hughver on 07 Jan 2018
  • I just posted that I copied your recipe. But then I got to thinking I make a beer burger and stuff the inside of it with caramelized onion and red and green peppers. I’ve attached a photo do you think your crockpot method would work for all three ingredients? I’m going to try it anyway.

I had the same thought and while searching, found this recipe. It uses olive oil instead of butter to allow for the higher heat, but I like the addition of thyme and balsamic vinegar. It does not use a crock pot but I think it should work. Let us know how yours turn out.
    (Admin -- link removed, if you want to post the recipe just put it in without a link)
  • #20 by hughver on 07 Jan 2018
  • Sorry, I missed that part of the rules, I'll refrain from doing it again

I just put on a load of onions, 6 large yellow, to caramelize. I did not add the peppers but will as soon as the onions cook down a bit. The recipe whose link that I mistakenly posted, is as follows:

Ingredients:
    2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    4 bell peppers, stemmed, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch strips
    1 large yellow onion, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch strips
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
    1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme)
    Instructions:
    Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, peppers, ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
    Cook, stirring every few minutes, until onions are caramelized and peppers are tender and slightly browned, about 15 - 20 minutes.
    Add balsamic vinegar and thyme and turn heat to low. Cook for a few more minutes. Taste and add remaining salt and pepper if desired. Serve hot or at room temperature.

I used 3-1 butter/olive oil and I think that the ratio of onions/peppers is not what I want, I'll use 1-1. Since I intend to use this as a burger/steak topping, I'm thinking of adding mushrooms with the peppers.
Pages:
Actions