Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for advice on a camping grill.  (Read 2707 times)

urnmor

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
Looking for advice on a camping grill.
« on: September 04, 2018, 10:25:05 PM »

We camp and at time we are gone for a week or more and I miss my BBQ.  So I am looking for something that will augment my infrared grill to allow me to cook ribs, butts etc low and slow.  I do not want it to be expensive, however it must be able to stand up to the elements and it must be able to fit into the back of my truck with the cover closed.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BigDave83

• South West PA
Re: Looking for advice on a camping grill.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 07:55:04 AM »

Sounds like you need a GMG Davey Crockett. I love mine.

sleebus.jones

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • I like meat
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 08:02:29 AM »

Sounds like you need a GMG Davey Crockett. I love mine.

I will second the DC.  I use the tar out of it; it's my primary grill, so I can vouch for its durability.  You can get a couple of racks of ribs on there no problem, more if you make a second shelf.  Prime rib, pork shoulder all fit no problem.  Haven't put a turkey in there yet, but it'd fit.  Only thing that you have to measure is a brisket, as you're limited to 17" across.  Steaks are great on it too.  The legs fold up and double as a carrying handle AND it runs on 12v.  It's a total beast.
-=<Cookshack PG1000 | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | Cinderblock rev flow pit | Weber S-670>=-

TechMOGogy

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 04:01:43 PM »

If your thinking charcoal (ie no power) take a look at the PK-TX best (and last) thing you will ever need to buy.
Sear to Smoke
If your thinking pellet - GMG DC but space is limited for ribs (2 racks basically max)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 04:05:02 PM by TechMOGogy »
GMG DC, FEC100, PK360

TravlinMan

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 05:54:58 PM »

Only two come to my mind..

Traeger PTG - or whatever they call it now..
GMG Davy Crocket

We have the PTG in the Fifth Wheel - lower profile - fits in our front storage.. Not ideal..  But works good for our application.

The GMG DC is taller, a little bigger, heavier and bulkier, but is more suited for camping.  12v DC or 120v AC power - big plus, better temperature control and a larger cooking area.

Just my observations and  :2cents:

Memphis Pro * Louisiana Grills LG-700 * Country Smoker Traveller * Traeger PTG

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 07:05:41 PM »

I purchased my DC to use while traveling in my motorhome. I found it too heavy, legs too short and so bulky that it is tough for one person to handle. After one season I mounted it on a Harbor Freight table and delegated it to back yard use. Full disclosure, I bought mine in early 2014 when both heat shield and drip pan were cast iron/steel.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 11:07:19 AM by hughver »
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 07:29:12 PM »

The trager jr is used by some.
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

TravlinMan

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 07:36:59 PM »

I purchased my DC to use while traveling in my motorhome. I found it too heavy, legs too short and so bulky that it is tough for one person to handle. After one season I mounted it on a Harbor Freight table and delegated it to back yard use. Full disclosure, I bought mine in early 2014 when both heat shield and drip pan were cast iron.

My DC is also that vintage, the heat deflector and drip tray are 'stamped steel'  instead of the new ones being 'stainless steel'.

I too have a Harbor Freight rolling tool caddy(3 shelf service cart) with the top shelf mounted 'upside down' to give the DC a flat surface to set on..

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage/tool-carts/30-in-x-16-in-three-shelf-steel-service-cart-62179.html

They are currently on sale for $49.99 for what it is worth..
works great for a rolling cart for the DC

....... :2cents:

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 08:09:56 PM »

That is exactly the cart that I have and I too inverted the top shelf after I saw it done on the other site, may have been yours. Did you remove the spring legs? I left mine on and attached four PVC pipe end caps upside down to the table top to keep the pit from moving, also copied from other site.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

TravlinMan

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 09:46:25 PM »

That is exactly the cart that I have and I too inverted the top shelf after I saw it done on the other site, may have been yours. Did you remove the spring legs? I left mine on and attached four PVC pipe end caps upside down to the table top to keep the pit from moving, also copied from other site.

Wow, the memories come back....

I used small squares of shelf lining under the spring feet and a couple pieces of wood 1x2x16in or something there about, and placed/wedged them under the far left side of the pellet hopper, to stabilize the DC from rocking.

And yes, that was me that inverted the upper shelf on the other site, as well as adding a 45d copper elbow to the grease drain and added a wire extension to the grease bucket to hold it to the lip on the drain.. (Had to extend the drain to clear the edge of the shelf for the grease bucket)

(where the pictures went) - When photobucket went belly up and stopped allowing '3rd party views', I went and cleared my photos out of 'photobucket' and deleted my account.  Then, shortly after, the 'other site' went south...  That was a very interesting and informative thread on the DC and the different solutions many of us found..   

....... :2cents:

sleebus.jones

• I like meat
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 07:40:18 AM »

I found it too heavy, legs too short and so bulky that it is tough for one person to handle.

You are right, it is not light.  Specs state it weighs 68 pounds.  The flip up handles cantilever the load off to the side quite a bit, so it's not the easiest thing to carry about.  Light work for 2 people, but that's not always an option.  Yes, legs are short if you're cooking off the ground, but to get longer legs, it wouldn't be portable...such is the compromise.  Putting it on a tailgate or park bench will get it to a more comfortable height.

Full disclosure, I bought mine in early 2014 when both heat shield and drip pan were cast iron.

I kinda doubt the cast iron bit.   ;)

Oh, and for 12v power, I've heard of folks getting jump packs to run them.  They only draw max current when starting up (using the igniter), and after that it's just the auger, fan and the main board running, which draws very little.
-=<Cookshack PG1000 | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | Cinderblock rev flow pit | Weber S-670>=-

DaisyCutter

• Using less gas.
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2018, 09:18:53 AM »

A camping grill to me is a nice fire in campsite.  :)

GatorDave

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2018, 11:13:08 AM »

This is my idea of a camping grill.

TravlinMan

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2018, 01:17:46 PM »

brings back many pleasant memories...

To today's standards - it is 'wood fired', fully adjustable heat, and 'wireless'.. easy to store, lightweight, quiet, real crackling wood, mesmerizing flame... a real 'gather around the campfire' moment..

Sometimes - simpler is better... :clap:

sleebus.jones

• I like meat
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2018, 07:48:10 AM »

Yeah, I don't disagree.  However, it's hard to turn out a quality brisket/pork shoulder on one of them.   ;)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up