Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chicken Mojito  (Read 2435 times)

Queball

Chicken Mojito
« on: September 08, 2017, 04:21:39 PM »

When it comes to a national drink, in Cuba, unquestionably the beverage of choice is the Mojito.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
It’s a traditional Cuban highball. ....... Prepared as a cocktail, a Mojito has five ingredients: white rum, sugar, lime juice, sparkling water, and mint. It’s proportions include: 1 1/2 oz White rum, 6 leaves of Mint, Soda Water, 1 oz fresh lime juice and 2 teaspoons sugar.
                            It’s a Cuban Favorite!

Well, I was once again cruising through the aisles of Wally World when I bumped into this.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
Yep! A pre-mixed mojito marinade spice pack from McCormick. I use some of their spices, and have used their rubs in the past. Now marinades, that’s another story. I guess the question for me is “Do they really impart any flavor as compared to a rub or injection?” I had some chicken breasts in the “commissary”, so I decided to give it shot, preparing
Cuban Mojito Chicken
The Ingredients - The packet calls for a mixture of oil, water and cider vinegar. We
adjust the recipe and include fresh lime juice, minced mint and honey instead of the water and vinegar.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
- 4 Skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 packets of McCormick Mojito Marinade mix
- 2 cups cooking oil
- 3 limes zested and squeezed.
- 1TBS, Fresh mint, minced
- 4TBS of honey
As a kicker we also include a mini bottle of lime liquor. White rum could probably be used too.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 05:02:26 AM by Queball »

Queball

Re: Chicken Mojito
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 04:56:20 PM »

The Prep
-The fat on the chicken is first trimmed away and discarded. When grilling, it helps minimize flare ups. It’s also “Her Majesty’s House Rule #121”  ….. for a long & happy home life.
We Like “Long & Happy!”
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
Quite a bit was removed.
-The Marinade is prepared per the package instructions and includes our additional elements.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
-A cup of the marinade is strained through cheesecloth. It will be used for the chicken injection.
-The chicken is injected at the highest point of the breast in different directions using the same hole.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
-The breasts are then set in a marinating vac box and vacuum marinated for 1 hour.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 10:11:47 AM by Queball »

Queball

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 04:59:14 PM »

The Cook
-The temperature in the cooker is set to 400 degrees indirect. The chicken breasts are lightly sprayed with oil and the front sides are set on the charbroiler and pressed against the grates. After 2 minutes they are turned 45 degrees to create cross hatched grill marks.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
The heat is lowered to 325 and the breasts are set up in zone 2 upper direct to finish cooking.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
With our chicken cooking we prepare black beans with roasted sweet red peppers in Zone 4. Mixed with spices, it's a reheat really.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 05:07:13 AM by Queball »

Queball

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 05:08:18 PM »

Our other side is wild rice.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]
 .... Sounds kind of "islandish" to me!
The marinade is boiled and reduced by half. It is then thickened with arrowroot for a sauce.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

Cuban "Chicken Mojito"
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 05:10:47 AM by Queball »

pz

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • My recipes
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 05:13:03 PM »

Wow that looks tasty, Queball - love the look of the grill marks
PZ

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 05:45:15 PM »

Queball, a terrific-looking meal.  I suspect that it was delicious. 

Regarding mojitos:  Marcia and I have a rule—Only two mojitos or margaritas before dinner.  Otherwise, we have enchilada jerky in the oven.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

pz

• My recipes
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 06:11:04 PM »

PZ,
Any chance you can remove your earlier post in the middle of the recipe and repost them below it? Hopefully Paul could do the same.

Thanks,
G

Done  ;)
PZ

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 06:49:46 PM »

[quote  Otherwise, we have enchilada jerky in the oven.[/quote]

You say that like it's a bad thing.  :rotf:
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

Quadman750

• North of the border
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 06:52:39 PM »

Your cooks & presentation are stunning as usual. You always make me hungry.
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe

Queball

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 07:43:27 PM »

Thank You Paul and PZ .... I appreciate that. ...... I think that the rum can sneak up on you, hiding in between the mint and lime, and 2 Mojitos might be a good limit before the sky starts falling.

Quadman, I'm glad you enjoy the photos. They're fun to take and I shoot a ton of them hopefully getting "The Shot!". Sometimes you do and sometimes you don't. Since the food has just been plated, you have to do it in a hurry. My family knows not to wait on me. I serve them and then do my camera thing as fast I can. After dinner is when I find out if it's a hit or a miss. I've had times where I've re-plated the dish with leftovers, and shot it again the next day, trying to get the right shot ... Oh! My.

I'm sure a "super" must get hungry strolling around in the great outdoors on the links. .... Maybe the food shots will motivate you to EAT! .... By the way, Do you play golf? I used to be an addict for it, but surgery mishaps sadly took all that away. It's the ultimate game in my books, and looking at your course, a round there must be serene and heavenly to play. But looking at the "woodlands", I'll bet it's tough!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 05:17:04 AM by Queball »

Quadman750

• North of the border
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 08:14:17 PM »

By the way, Do you play golf? I used to be an addict for it, but surgery mishaps sadly took all that away. It's the ultimate game in my books, and looking at your course, a round there must be serene and heavenly to play.

Believe it or not I do not golf, it is a great game but after seeing it all day I could not get into it. Whenever I did play I would not enjoy myself as I was always looking at things that needed to be done on the course.
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe

Queball

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 05:20:59 AM »

"Believe it or not I do not golf, it is a great game but after seeing it all day I could not get into it.
That's my excuse with the Mrs. to do home improvements. ..... "Did it all week! ... That's enough."
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 10:19:00 AM by Queball »

riverrat49

• "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 09:21:24 AM »

Stunning Dish my compliments  :clap:
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge
Pages: [1]   Go Up