Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by dclord on 13 Sep 2018
  • I've started to realize that the Henkels steak knives we got for our wedding twenty some years ago aren't very sharp anymore. Since they are serated I can't really sharpen them, so I guess it is time for new ones. There are several nice looking sets on Amazon from brands I never heard of that get good reviews, but of course I can't pick one up to set how it feels. Any one have recommendations?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

• #2 by pmillen on 13 Sep 2018
  • If they're only beveled on one side you might try laying the flat side on a wet whetstone and giving them a few strokes.

Otherwise, we bought wood-handled steak knives from Williams Sonoma.  I don't know what brand they are, but 8 come in a slide-top wooden box, so you might be able to ID them that way.  They are fine for the intended purpose.
  • #3 by dclord on 14 Sep 2018
  • I've had too many wooden handled knives ruined over the years because someone left them sitting in water. I pretty much stick with black plastic handles now.

• #4 by pmillen on 14 Sep 2018
  • I've had too many wooden handled knives ruined over the years because someone left them sitting in water. I pretty much stick with black plastic handles now.

I rather prefer wooden handles.  But it might just be my traditional value—I grew up with wooden-handled knives.

No offense intended, but coaching and periodic application of a drying oil (i.e., edible flax seed oil) might be a fix.
  • #5 by bregent on 14 Sep 2018
  • As Paul suggested, you can often get dull serrated knives back to usable condition by sharpening the flat side. But you can also sharpen the serrated side using a round or triangle file - lots of video on the web showing how. If that's the only problem with them and they're good quality, it's worth a shot.
  • #6 by dclord on 14 Sep 2018
  • I'll give sharpen them a try. My wife has already suggested that she could get me steak knives for Christmas which I am good with.

• #7 by Bentley on 14 Sep 2018
  • Have to agree with Paul!  The 6:25 & 7:40 mark of the video shows just how sharp a serrated bread knife can get sharpening one side!

As Paul suggested, you can often get dull serrated knives back to usable condition by sharpening the flat side.

Bread Knife
  • #8 by GatorDave on 14 Sep 2018
  • Steak knife for when your steak is cooked perfectly. :pig:

• #9 by hughver on 14 Sep 2018
  • I can’t stand a serrated edge for meat.

Ditto, I have two sets given as gifts that are still in their boxes because they are serrated.  :-X
  • #10 by dclord on 14 Sep 2018
  • I can’t stand a serrated edge for meat.

Ditto, I have two sets given as gifts that are still in their boxes because they are serrated.  :-X
    That's interesting, every article I've found recommends serrated steak knives, complaining that plain edge knives dull too quickly when used on a plate. I see lots of individual reviews on Amazon though of people who don't like serrated steak knives.

• #11 by Bentley on 14 Sep 2018
  • I love em!
  • #12 by Big Bear on 15 Sep 2018
  • Might I suggest a Cutco steak knife. Not cheap, American made with a forever guarantee which also provides for free sharpening. They are serrated but with a diamond pattern not rounded. I bought my first one when in my teens and I still have it today at 66. They are online, just google them.
  • #13 by pmillen on 15 Sep 2018
  • I avoid serrated knives.  Marcia loves them.  They are difficult for me to sharpen with my old-fashioned ways and they tear rather than cut.  They also make "sawdust".  Scalpels would be serrated if was the better cutting edge.

That's interesting, every article I've found recommends serrated steak knives, complaining that plain edge knives dull too quickly when used on a plate.

The cooks in the Japanese-themed restaurants that cook and cut on steel griddles at your table manage to maintain exquisitely sharp edges.
  • #14 by hughver on 15 Sep 2018
  • they tear rather than cut.

I agree 100%, the tighter the serration spacing the worst they are. Some well spaced ones are tolerable but not for me.  :2cents:
  • #15 by Bobitis on 15 Sep 2018
  • Serrated knives have a purpose in few applications in my opinion. I've seen a couple different versions. One has a 'scalloped' edge, and the other looks to have a more pointy saw toothed edge between the longer points. Does that make sense?

I have a serrated knife (the scalloped version) for slicing bread. The serrations go from the back to almost the point. The point is blunt at the nose to about 1/2" back and is blunt on the bottom at that point. It's like a gutting knife for game animals. It's not really hook shaped, but the idea is the same.

You get the cutting edge for the most part, but at the end, the blunt portion makes it impossible for the serrated portion to contact the surface unless you really try to do so.

Pages:
Actions