Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by MSOLSON on 15 Sep 2018
  • My two cents worth. Serrated blades are great for bread and for folks who don't want to maintain a good blade. Many steak joints use serrated steak knives and just replace them when worn out. When in college, I worked nights in a local meat department. One of my tasks was to sharpen blades once a week using an oil bathed stone. In addition, the meat cutters would use a honing rod every time they picked up a knife. To this day, I keep my knives sharp.  I use a coarse and fine sharpening tool to maintain an edge on my Heinkel Pro S knives; it's handy and only takes a few seconds. A good blade will last a lifetime if not abused.
  • #17 by bregent on 16 Sep 2018
  • I like serrated knives for a few applications:

Slicing brisket
    Cutting tomatoes - tomato skins dull straight blades too quickly for me
    Hard and semi-hard cheese

That's about all I use them for.
  • #18 by dclord on 16 Sep 2018
  • Other than the steak knives which we really use as everyday table knives, the only serrated knife I have is for bagles and bread.  I actually don't cook steak very often, the knives are mostly for chicken, pork chops, and such.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

• #19 by dclord on 29 Dec 2018
  • Well I got the new steak knives for Christmas. I gave my wife a list of 4 different knives and she picked the Dalstrong. I have to admit that the people who complained about serrated knives tearing up the meat have a point, but it still tastes good. The knives feel good in my hands and cut easily. I like the weight and size. I have mixed feelings about the black pakkawood handles. I'd prefer a more solid color black. I've shown them next to my old Henkels knife for size comparison.

• #20 by okie smokie on 29 Dec 2018
  • Might I suggest a Cutco steak knife. Not cheap, American made with a forever guarantee which also provides for free sharpening. They are serrated but with a diamond pattern not rounded. I bought my first one when in my teens and I still have it today at 66. They are online, just google them.

We have Cutco knives.  They stay sharp for longer than the cheaper brands.  Also, they will resharpen them for life.  Win/win. Deal.
  • #21 by dclord on 08 Dec 2019
  • I just stumbled on this old thread and realized I should update my previous comments. I decided after a few used that I really didn't like the serated steak knives an bought a set of non-serated knives off Amazon. Here is a picture of one next to my old Henkels knife. I really like this one although for the record my wife still likes the serated blade.

• #22 by dclord on 08 Dec 2019
  • The brand is Marksford by the way. I thought it would be legible in the picture but it wasn't completely.

• #23 by Bar-B-Lew on 08 Dec 2019
  • I have something similar to those serated ones and I don't like them either.  It seems the meat gets stuck on the blade and tears it up.
  • #24 by BigDave83 on 09 Dec 2019
  • Not a fan of serrated knives for much other than the mentioned bread and the likes. We go for steak or something similar and they always give you a serrated knife, I like my steaks next to raw, serrated doesn't do well with meat cooked that way for me. I end up busting out the good old Case pocket knife and have at the steak. The GF thinks I am nuts, and some of the servers have said I understand, was told by one that I was not the first he has seen with the pocket knife out.
  • #25 by pmillen on 09 Dec 2019
  • I end up busting out the good old Case pocket knife and have at the steak.

Me, too! 

I use my pocket knife daily.  I sometimes generate stares and whispers and some people seem worried when they see it.  I cover it with a napkin when I take it to the mens' room for cleaning.

Marcia gets angry with me when I won't use it to cut box tape.  But I don't want the residue on it.
  • #26 by Bentley on 09 Dec 2019
  • We have some very cheap serrated steak knives and I like them over...well, we dont have any others.  I am not sure I have ever used anything but a serrated steak knife.
  • #27 by BigDave83 on 09 Dec 2019
  • I end up busting out the good old Case pocket knife and have at the steak.

Me, too! 

I use my pocket knife daily.  I sometimes generate stares and whispers and some people seem worried when they see it.  I cover it with a napkin when I take it to the mens' room for cleaning.

Marcia gets angry with me when I won't use it to cut box tape.  But I don't want the residue on it.

I have carried a pocket knife since I was about 10, through the years they have done everything from digging stones out of my knees to cutting up squirrels, to scraping gaskets and other things when working on cars. I had one that was with me for close 30 years and the blades got so thin from sharpening I had to replace it, took me a while to find a suitable replacement.
  • #28 by Bar-B-Lew on 09 Dec 2019
  • Where has Bobitis been?
  • #29 by Bar-B-Lew on 09 Dec 2019
  • I have a set of these.  I bought them years ago after using them at one of Emeril's restaurants in New Orleans.  I was not happy with the set I have.  Upon further review, it looks like maybe I just need to sharpen them.  Will try that and see if they work better than the serated steak knives I have.

https://www.amazon.com/Jean-Dubost-Laguiole-Knives-Acrylic/dp/B00KBM6SEE/ref=sxin_3_ac_d_pm?ac_md=2-1-QmV0d2VlbiAkMTAwIGFuZCAkMjAw-ac_d_pm&crid=3GHPTZPMS0XO9&keywords=laguiole+steak+knives&pd_rd_i=B00KBM6SEE&pd_rd_r=f1651dee-bea1-4d0f-9231-fa3b23b01be8&pd_rd_w=As0Cd&pd_rd_wg=Uuv02&pf_rd_p=aba5dc0d-7593-4752-a14d-357ecc5c98cc&pf_rd_r=5CCG354B82WQBMW7H5NM&psc=1&qid=1575926025&sprefix=lagui%2Caps%2C175
  • #30 by Bentley on 09 Dec 2019
  • I have been wondering that myself!

Where has Bobitis been?
Pages:
Actions