Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Canadian John on 15 Sep 2018
  •  
     I found one must be careful when handling these probes as they are extremely sharp, at least the Thermoworks products are... Now that I have a "Smoke" and the storage case to store probes and the rest of

it, it becomes easy to inadvertently skewer oneself while handling the content.. The open Thermapen is dangerous enough... I appreciate the sharp points for their intended purposes and respect them.

Now for the question: What method of probe point protection, if any do you use?   

The probe that came with my Memphis has a small soft plastic  protector cap that works well....  I wish Thrmoworks would provided something similar. They suggested a cork or ball of aluminum foil - not my

kind of solution epically when several probes are stored together .
  • #2 by Darwin on 15 Sep 2018
  • You could try silicon / aquarium tubing. 
  • #3 by Bentley on 15 Sep 2018
  • I only have experience with the ThermaPen, and I do not find its tip to be overly sharp or "pointy".
  • #4 by Canadian John on 15 Sep 2018

•  Just before I logged in to see this, I thought small tubing that I have and have used before for similar applications...TKX all!  Just old age or ? slowing me down.

Why Bent's Thermopen isn't sharp beets me. I've seen them used for many things other than temp measurement such as a flipper. poker etc. Perhaps his high milage T P is worn down a bit?
  • #5 by pmillen on 15 Sep 2018
  • I never thought it was necessary.  I have a myriad of pointed and sharp things around my home.  None have add-on covers.  The only time I ever cut myself was when I shoved my hand in a pocket where a spring-assisted folding knife had opened.  That cut was long and deep.
  • #6 by yorkdude on 16 Sep 2018
  • For some sharp cooking items I have cut an old standard eraser to smaller sizes and drilled (if necessary) with the appropriate size hole. Works good for me.
  • #7 by Canadian John on 16 Sep 2018

•  The gears have started to turn... A nice wooden storage rack, say a 2 x 2 piece of Oak with short drilled (not all the way thru) holes, could work well to store the probes, keeping them organized and

protected..

• #8 by Bar-B-Lew on 16 Sep 2018

•  The gears have started to turn... A nice wooden storage rack, say a 2 x 2 piece of Oak with short drilled (not all the way thru) holes, could work well to store the probes, keeping them organized and

protected..

I have mine in ziplock bags and that I label with a Sharpie and then put into a plastic container.
  • #9 by SparkyLB on 16 Sep 2018
  • I have an insert in my silverware drawer with 5 rectangular sub-trays, front to back for utensils, and one smaller one, integral to the assembly that sits in back, left-to-right.  I keep my probes in there.  I've never felt the need to protect them/myself, but mine aren't overly sharp either. 

A cork could be quartered lengthwise and one used for 4 probes if you were so inclined. 
  • #10 by Canadian John on 20 Sep 2018

•  I ended up using 3/32" ID, gas line ~ 1 1/4" long. It's red in color so it's easily seen. Nice and flexible too....New of course. Food grade? No.
Pages:
Actions