Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Chris__M on 15 Sep 2018
  • I've just been on holiday, and of course I took my Davy Crockett grill with me.

After a few days out and about, I decided to spend a day at the cottage we were renting, and cook some simple BBQ. I smoked some burgers for our lunch, and put on a small pork shoulder, for pulling later. Since I hate to run a grill half-empty, and we only needed so much pulled pork, I decided to see how a lamb shoulder cooked, using the same techniques.

I rubbed the lamb with a rosemary and garlic spice mix, and put it onto the grill at 240°F - a little hotter than I usually smoke at, but I wanted the pork that was also on the grill to be ready at a reasonable time.

The lamb was ready in half the time I would expect for pork - not surprising, as it is a much tenderer meat. The shoulder bone pulled out of it easily, which is a good guide, and the meat pulled nicely, and tasted great.

Then I made a mistake. I'd decided to use a commercial (Reggae-Reggae Sauce) Jerk Sauce, which I thought would compliment the lamb. But it actually dominated it. It wasn't unpleasant at all, but you could have been eating any meat. I was very disappointed, as up to then, I thought I was on to something.

Fast-forward a day or two, and we were getting out meat to have with salad, and I decided to try the lamb. Chilled, with a cold salad, it was absolutely delightful, the jerk flavour was muted and the lamb flavour shone through - everyone agreed it was excellent. Time and refrigeration had come to my rescue once again!

Anyway, it is an experiment I will definitely repeat again, with perhaps a milder sauce. I'd also quite like to do the same again, but with mutton, or possibly goat.
  • #2 by Chris__M on 15 Sep 2018
  • One of the things that complicated this cook was that I'd forgotten to pack the probe for the DC, and while I had packed the probes for my Bluetooth thermometer, I'd woken up that morning realising that I had forgotten to put the actual device into the box.

So I was back to doing things by feel - wiggling bones and prodding with a skewer, to see when things were done.

It was good practice, but I had to laugh when packing at the end of the holiday, when I found I had packed the Bluetooth unit after all!  :rotf:
  • #3 by Canadian John on 15 Sep 2018

• Chris, I thought I was the only one to forget things. I am glad I am not alone.

Interesting post. TKX.
  • #4 by Ralphie on 15 Sep 2018
  • Lamb has always been an interest of mine with the smoker. But I haven’t been able to find a supplier for anything other legs, shanks, chops, or whole frozen lamb. I probably haven’t looked hard enough and I plan to visit some of the halal meat markets in town. I’d love to find lamb ribs or a nice shoulder like yours. Looks like you had a fantastic cook.
  • #5 by Chris__M on 16 Sep 2018
  • I think that lamb is a much more common meat over here, perhaps. A Sunday family roast is almost as likely to be lamb as beef or pork - although I think chicken is probably more popular than all of those, overall, due to cost.

I had no problem picking up a lamb shoulder in a regular supermarket. Although I was pleasantly surprised to find it still had the blade in place, rather than a boned joint, which is more normally seen.

Mutton and goat, however, are meats that you wouldn't get through normal outlets, although I think if I asked my local butcher to source a mutton joint, they would. Online butcheries, however, advertise both for delivery.
  • #6 by Bentley on 16 Sep 2018
  • I would think the lamb in a salad with some fresh mint would be tremendous...if you like lamb!
  • #7 by Ralphie on 16 Sep 2018
  • Is the shoulder the best cut for pulled lamb?
  • #8 by Bentley on 16 Sep 2018
  • I would think it would mirror hog, so yes!  I know it is what my Aussie friends use!
  • #9 by cookingjnj on 16 Sep 2018
  • Thanks Chris. I have shared recipe for leg of lamb, I have cooked lamb chops and racks, but never anything pulled. Gotta try that too. Love lamb.
  • #10 by Chris__M on 17 Sep 2018
  • My main reasons for using shoulder is - as Bentley says - it mirrors the pork, but also it is (in the UK) the cheapest "large joint" of lamb available - a good 2/3 of the price of leg, at least.

The shoulder is comparable to pork with regard to make-up, and it pulls very easily. As mentioned earlier, it seems to cook a lot quicker, though I need a few more experiments before I'm ready to publish my findings!  ;)

I might be interested in trying breast of lamb, except I usually only see it already boned and rolled.
  • #11 by Chris__M on 27 Sep 2018
  • I'm not working tomorrow, and I have some guys round on Saturday to play a board game. So I have just placed an online order for groceries, to include some cubed beef and a nice bone-in lamb shoulder.

My plan is to have a second attempt at the lamb tomorrow, and see how it turns out. If it is good, then I have Saturday's lunch, with some bread and some pickles. If it is less than excellent, then I will keep it for myself, and do a quick slow-cooker beef stew to feed my friends at lunchtime.

I always like a back-up plan. :)
  • #12 by Chris__M on 30 Sep 2018
  • In the end, I didn't get around to doing the lamb on Friday. I woke with a bad headache, and although I got better as the day wore on, I didn't feel like cooking. So on Saturday my guests had an excellent (but non-BBQ) beef stew instead, courtesy of my slow cooker.

But I still have the lamb shoulder in my fridge, and will try to get it on the grill in the next day or so. Will let you know how it goes!
  • #13 by Mikro on 30 Sep 2018
  • Anyone here from Kentucky?

Mutton/Lamb BBQ was a favorite style in KY years back.  I'm sure there are some members with good rubs and sheep dip sauce. I personally am not fond of Lamb  Maybe someone here can chime in with some of the better Que styles of Kentucky BBQ for it though.

MK

• #14 by ylr on 30 Sep 2018
  • For me, it's way too easy to go to Owensboro, and just buy whatever I want, instead of cooking it myself. For those that want to try and make it for themselves, Moonlite BBQ has dips and sauces for sale. Best as I can remember, they don't use a rub, just salt and pepper, and mop the meat throughout the cook. Hickory is the only wood used, and everything is low and slow(I'm guessing 225-250), until it's done.

IMO, Old Hickory has better BBQ, but you can't buy their sauces online..... :(
  • #15 by Chris__M on 30 Sep 2018
  • As I am in the UK, I only have access to the really common bought sauces (such as Newmans, Stubbs, Bart, Bullseye), and usually I make my own.

The last time I did this, I used a rosemary/garlic combination as a rub - riffing off of "traditional english roast" seasonings for lamb. This bit worked really well, and I'll probably repeat it for my next experiment. The sauce is the bit I'm currently in the air about, although I'm willing to experiment.

At the same time, I am very open to all suggestions. I don't expect I'll ever settle on just one way to cook it. Currently my pulled pork alternates between a tomato heavy Texas-style, and my own version of a South Carolina sauce. Both sauces have their cheerleaders amongst my friends, and I like the variety. :)
Pages:
Actions