Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Bentley on 30 Sep 2018
  • You embrace more of a BBQ style sauce for the pulled then a mint type sauce?  Or is the mint more of an Australian thing?
  • #17 by Chris__M on 01 Oct 2018
  • Mint is also a British thing for roasts, but generally (in my experience) as a side sauce - a spoon of mint sauce or jelly on the side of the plate.

I toyed with the idea of incorporating it into a BBQ sauce, but decided it might be too overpowering.

One thing I missed out on with the holiday experiment - I didn't take a pan with me, and didn't want to use the accomodation's pans in the smoker. So I didn't collect any meat juices, which is what I normally do when cooking pork. I am thinking perhaps some kind of sauce incorporating fresh berries of some kind into the meat juices, with a mint mayo on the side. I think blueberries or cherries would work, or - as I think someone (somewhere) has suggested - pomegranate juice.
  • #18 by Chris__M on 01 Oct 2018
  • (in my experience) = I have found, even in a country as relatively small as England, that saying "this is how we do this here" invariably leads to someone saying "not where I live, sunshine". :D
  • #19 by Kristin Meredith on 01 Oct 2018
  • Chris, if you like fruit flavors in your sauces, have you ever tried apricot or peach jam or compote mixed in bbq sauce and then on pulled pork?   I like the flavor of the apricot/peach with the pork.
  • #20 by Chris__M on 01 Oct 2018
  • Chris, if you like fruit flavors in your sauces, have you ever tried apricot or peach jam or compote mixed in bbq sauce and then on pulled pork?   I like the flavor of the apricot/peach with the pork.

Funnily enough, not in BBQ, although I will certainly do so now! :D

I've long used chopped dried apricots as an ingredient in stuffing for both roast pork and turkey - I find it works really well with sage.
Pages:
Actions