Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Basil Mustard Chicken  (Read 1177 times)

ScottE

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Basil Mustard Chicken
« on: September 09, 2017, 12:03:13 PM »

This is one of the family's favorite chicken recipes that I make - it's an easy and forgiving recipe, and as I grow basil in our garden, we've always got fresh basil leaves during garden season.

We usually use boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but I've done it with skin-on, bone-in breasts and thighs as well. Basically, pick any chicken part you like best, and it'll work out!

Ingredients are approximate - I never measure anything, and make the marinade/sauce to taste and texture.

Ingredients:
  • Chicken parts
  • 20-25 Basil leaves
  • 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
  • 4 Tbsp Apple cider vinegar (add more to texture/taste)
  • 2 Tbsp Olive oil (add more to texture/taste)
  • Several garlic cloves
  • 1 Tsp Poultry seasoning
  • Water as needed to thin and stretch

I once used a cooking wine instead of apple cider vinegar, and it turned out excellent.

Preparation:

Mix all ingredients in a blender. I usually put the basil leaves in first and everything else on top so the blender minces and mixes everything together.

Add additional vinegar, oil, or some water until the texture is a creamy liquid. It should taste very mustardy with obvious basil and garlic, but the vinegar being more subtle.

Pour a few ounces off into a bowl to use as a sauce while serving.

Marinade the chicken in the rest of the sauce - an hour or two is good, but I've done it as little as time to fire up the grill, and as long as an afternoon.

Cooking:

Bring the grill up to 375 and cook the chicken until done, turning and basting with additional marinade during the cook. You can raise temps to a grilling temperature to finish if desired, but be careful not to scorch the coating.

The finished chicken will be a golden-green color.

Serving:

We usually serve over rice, adding a few spoonfuls of sauce on top.

Although I make this recipe often, I've never taken a picture. Hopefully you'll enjoy this recipe as much as my own family does.
RecTeq RT-1250. Formerly: CampChef SmokePro XT (w/ Savannah Stoker), Louisiana Grills CS450, Traeger 070.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Basil Mustard Chicken
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 01:25:46 PM »

It sounds really good except for the golden-green color.  Green chicken breast?  Does it look okay?
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

ScottE

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 01:45:06 PM »

It sounds really good except for the golden-green color.  Green chicken breast?  Does it look okay?

The green finish is how I know I added enough fresh basil!
RecTeq RT-1250. Formerly: CampChef SmokePro XT (w/ Savannah Stoker), Louisiana Grills CS450, Traeger 070.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 02:38:11 PM »

The green finish is how I know I added enough fresh basil!

:)
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

pz

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • My recipes
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 04:44:46 PM »

Sounds really good - my favorite herb is basil and I tried growing it in my garden, but the bugs got to eat much more than I did. I now need to grow it indoors.

The mustard garlic and vinegar also make the recipe sound delicious.
PZ
Pages: [1]   Go Up