Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: pelletville.com  (Read 2611 times)

Bobitis

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Contrary to popular belief, bacon is a vegetable
pelletville.com
« on: September 09, 2017, 12:06:24 PM »

As some may know, I acquired this domain name when the 'other' site was in flux. I have no plans on using it because I simply don't know how (nor would I have the time to deal with it). Mind you, I have no bone to pick with the 'other' site, and would still visit there were it up and running.

That said; there's a lot of folks there that haven't had a place to go for a few days. Then the light came on.

Does anyone know how I could use my domain (as simply as possible) to direct traffic to this site? If you google 'pelletville', not much comes up that really pertains to the search. Is there a way to set up pelletville that simply brings up a link with a redirect to here?

I hate to think that my 50 bucks went for naught.

Ideas?
How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?

LowSlowJoe

• Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
Re: pelletville.com
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 12:15:38 PM »

Ya need DNS service to make a alias that points to pelletfan.com. not sure the cheapest or free way to do it.
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

pz

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • My recipes
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 12:51:05 PM »

If I understand correctly, you purchased the domain name pelletville.com without subscribing to a host plan?

Any way you look at it, some kind of cost will be incurred. Not only will there be a domain transfer fee, but there will also be a yearly maintenance fee to keep the domain name registered, i.e., both pelletville.com and pelletfan.com will need to be paid for in one form or another.
PZ

ScottE

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 02:19:21 PM »

There is something hosting a blank page, and you could easily just drop in an HTML page that redirects here if indeed it's being hosted and you have access to it. Doing it via DNS is better, but you cannot normally have a CNAME on an apex domain, so it's a little trickier, but doable as some providers have some clever custom solutions. The way I would personally do this is setup cloudflare (you can use the free plan for this use-case) - and use their CNAME flattening so pelletville.com ends up here. All the work is done for pelletville.com, and nothing changes for pelletfan.com (it's transparent). I do something very similar for my own site, which is hosted via github pages but uses my own domain name.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 02:22:37 PM by ScottE »
RecTeq RT-1250. Formerly: CampChef SmokePro XT (w/ Savannah Stoker), Louisiana Grills CS450, Traeger 070.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 02:49:56 PM »

What ScottE said,

"Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
  Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
  All mimsy were the borogoves,
  And the mome raths outgrabe."

Actually it was Lewis Carroll.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bobitis

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 02:55:31 PM »

There is something hosting a blank page, and you could easily just drop in an HTML page that redirects here if indeed it's being hosted and you have access to it. Doing it via DNS is better, but you cannot normally have a CNAME on an apex domain, so it's a little trickier, but doable as some providers have some clever custom solutions. The way I would personally do this is setup cloudflare (you can use the free plan for this use-case) - and use their CNAME flattening so pelletville.com ends up here. All the work is done for pelletville.com, and nothing changes for pelletfan.com (it's transparent). I do something very similar for my own site, which is hosted via github pages but uses my own domain name.

This is the stuff that gripes me! It should be simple **** but it's not.  CNAME? Apex? github?

Thanks for all the suggestions. I guess I'll just let it die at this time.

SmokinHandyman

• Springfield, Illinois
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 05:07:02 PM »

Thanks for trying  :clap:
If you are gonna cook, Make it a fun day even when ya mess it up!                     Louisiana LG700

Bobitis

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 05:07:12 PM »

What ScottE said,

"Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
  Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
  All mimsy were the borogoves,
  And the mome raths outgrabe."

Actually it was Lewis Carroll.

I'm the ultimate fan of the author. He's far easier to understand than this stuff.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 10:01:25 PM »

Was a nice gesture...I still cannot believe that I got this site with the SMF set up and on Hostgator.  Now I realize that LSFS has done the heavy lifting since I got it to hostgator, but I was simply amazed I was able to do it!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bobitis

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 06:57:17 PM »

Would you care to walk me through this?

rjp123

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 08:29:43 PM »

Would you care to walk me through this?

I saw you registered your domain via GoDaddy.

To forward a domain - check out the step-by-step instructions here:  https://godaddy.com/help/forward-a-domain-12123

LowSlowFoShow

• Administrator
  • smoke em if you got em
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 08:47:57 PM »

As some may know, I acquired this domain name when the 'other' site was in flux. I have no plans on using it because I simply don't know how (nor would I have the time to deal with it). Mind you, I have no bone to pick with the 'other' site, and would still visit there were it up and running.

That said; there's a lot of folks there that haven't had a place to go for a few days. Then the light came on.

Does anyone know how I could use my domain (as simply as possible) to direct traffic to this site? If you google 'pelletville', not much comes up that really pertains to the search. Is there a way to set up pelletville that simply brings up a link with a redirect to here?

Ideas?

I can create a simple landing page with a link to this site or help you setup the domain forwarding.  Just let me know.
GMG Daniel Boone
GMG Pizza Oven
Don Godke's Downdraft
Meater Block

Bobitis

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 08:50:41 PM »

Ideas?

I can create a simple landing page with a link to this site or help you setup the domain forwarding.  Just let me know.

Please help me in this matter.

LowSlowFoShow

• Administrator
  • smoke em if you got em
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 08:54:52 PM »

Email sent.
GMG Daniel Boone
GMG Pizza Oven
Don Godke's Downdraft
Meater Block

TechMOGogy