Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Meatballs  (Read 2348 times)

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
Meatballs
« on: September 09, 2017, 02:10:02 PM »

I probably made 40-50 meatball recipes searching for the "one" before landing on this. I was convinced that since so many recipes had 2 or 3 different meats that was the best way to go. I made some that were nearly 20 ingredients deep, and they were all pretty good but I always kept looking. After making this one, I've never made another. Of course, it's most likely the simplest that I attempted.

There is a restaurant in Chicago called Quartino. The head chef wrote a book, and this was in it. I don't use the exact process from the book, but the ingredients are the same. This is an all veal recipe, and to me that alone makes the perfect meatball. These end up pretty loose. It is not a dense mix.

1 lbs ground veal
2 large eggs
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
2 tsp minced garlic
2 tbs fresh Italian parsley,  finely chopped
1/2 cup grated good Parmesan, I use a zester
1/4 tsp fresh nutmeg
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Mix everything loosely. I use a medium size cookie scoop to portion about half the batch into golf ball sized meatballs. Bake those in your grill or oven at 400 to an internal temp of 155-160.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

The other half batch I use a 1/2 tsp to make tiny meatballs. I then freeze them solid until I make a batch of Italian wedding soup. It's hard to choose a favorite all time soup, but this has to be in my top 5.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 02:19:44 PM by Free Mr. Tony »

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
Re: Meatballs
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 02:22:54 PM »

If lowslowfoshow or Queball happens to see this, I have a question.

How do I get my photos to look like Queball does his? I have to change the resolution so much to fit the size constraints that the pictures end up being super low quality. I've read the picture tutorial several times, and must be missing something. Queballs seem bigger, and higher rez.

GrillinGlen

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Meridian, Idaho
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 02:41:47 PM »

Believe it or not I have never eaten veal, no reason other than being cheap.  Is the difference (between veal and beef) worth it?  I love a good meat ball so I would be willing to give it a try.
2011 SS Memphis Pro

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 04:06:50 PM »

Believe it or not I have never eaten veal, no reason other than being cheap.  Is the difference (between veal and beef) worth it?  I love a good meat ball so I would be willing to give it a try.

I pay about 9 dollars a pound for it, but when you only need a pound it's not a deal breaker. I think when it's The star of the show it's definitely worth it. Meatballs and veal Parmesan are usually when I use it. I've tried it in braised Italian sauces mixed with pork butt and Chuck roast. I don't really detect the difference in those applications,  but when it's all you are using it makes a difference.

It has a softer texture than beef to me. Even the lower fat content veal does not get tough like lean beef. It has a milder flavor than beef, but not so much so that it's a completely foreign flavor or anything.

Give it a try.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 04:51:18 PM by Free Mr. Tony »

pz

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • My recipes
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 04:38:19 PM »

You had me at Panko - love the texture those bread crumbs give.

Looks great  ;)
PZ

Quadman750

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • North of the border
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 04:43:50 PM »

Looks wonderful, that recipe as a Fatty would be great as well.
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe

Queball

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 04:44:07 PM »

I fully intend to try it FMT! ..... Looks wonderful. ... Sure wish I was your neighbor. Your culinary scope is so broad. ... fantastic! .... sure glad you are part of this.

Concerning the pictures, I know nothing about what happened. When I first posted pictures they were disappointingly small. Then one day I came to the sight and they were large. ...Looked great!  I don't know anything about resolution or any of that stuff. .... Point and shoot and post. ... Sorry
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 04:46:40 PM by Queball »

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 07:14:51 PM »

You had me at Panko - love the texture those bread crumbs give.

Looks great  ;)

Thanks. Panko is a pantry staple. I used to make my own bread crumbs alot, but it's hard to get much better than those from the store. So happens tonights dinner featured Panko crumbs. Not the prettiest meal, but it's in our regular regular rotation. Mexican Spice yogurt marinated chicken then pressed into a mixture of Panko,  crushed tortilla chips, sharp cheddar, and pickled jalapenos. One of our favorites.

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 07:16:51 PM »

Looks wonderful, that recipe as a Fatty would be great as well.

That is one of the few things I've never made. Never prepared or ate a fatty. I did have a couple of Bentley's stuffies the royal one year, but never a naked fatty.

pz

• My recipes
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 09:23:23 PM »

Thanks. Panko is a pantry staple. I used to make my own bread crumbs alot, but it's hard to get much better than those from the store. So happens tonights dinner featured Panko crumbs. Not the prettiest meal, but it's in our regular regular rotation...

Are you kidding me - that looks fantastic!
PZ

riverrat49

• "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 05:17:10 AM »

does look yummy  :clap:
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge

MP09

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 11:06:34 AM »

I would have never thought about using veal for meatballs till now. That's what makes this site so enjoyable with all the great input and ideas. Glad to be a PelletFan...
BGW Grid Iron and a bunch of old gassers "now retired"

Queball

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017, 11:50:20 AM »

FMT,

Have you ever considered using this mix to make sausage? .... Think it would work. ... How about it being smoked?

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 10:22:58 AM »

FMT,

Have you ever considered using this mix to make sausage? .... Think it would work. ... How about it being smoked?

It would need to be firmed up quite a bit for sausage, and probably some additional fat added. May be too delicate of  a flavor for sausage, but I'm sure there are similar flavored sausages out there. I, for an unknown reason, always think of sausage as an assertive flavor, but I suppose it doesn't have to be.

I've smoked the meatballs first before. They were good to me, but my wife is not really into heavily smoked foods much. She does like the wood fired oven approach though. 400 in a pellet grill still imparts a flavor that an oven doesn't.

Queball

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 12:38:20 PM »

FMT,
I noticed in your Texas Hot Links post, your excellent recipe in grams. You list fat back as one ingredient. At my local grocer I've seen packages of fat back in sealed plastic. They appear to have a thin hide on them and then the fat back is about 1/2" thick. Appears you need to slice the hide off of them. Is that what you are using. Do you get pork fat trimmings for your sausage from your butcher? Your sausage work always looks so good and "clean".
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up