Here's How I.... > Cook Beef

Meatballs

(1/5) > >>

Free Mr. Tony:
I probably made 40-50 meatball recipes searching for the "one" before landing on this. I was convinced that since so many recipes had 2 or 3 different meats that was the best way to go. I made some that were nearly 20 ingredients deep, and they were all pretty good but I always kept looking. After making this one, I've never made another. Of course, it's most likely the simplest that I attempted.

There is a restaurant in Chicago called Quartino. The head chef wrote a book, and this was in it. I don't use the exact process from the book, but the ingredients are the same. This is an all veal recipe, and to me that alone makes the perfect meatball. These end up pretty loose. It is not a dense mix.

1 lbs ground veal
2 large eggs
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
2 tsp minced garlic
2 tbs fresh Italian parsley,  finely chopped
1/2 cup grated good Parmesan, I use a zester
1/4 tsp fresh nutmeg
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Mix everything loosely. I use a medium size cookie scoop to portion about half the batch into golf ball sized meatballs. Bake those in your grill or oven at 400 to an internal temp of 155-160.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

The other half batch I use a 1/2 tsp to make tiny meatballs. I then freeze them solid until I make a batch of Italian wedding soup. It's hard to choose a favorite all time soup, but this has to be in my top 5.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Free Mr. Tony:
If lowslowfoshow or Queball happens to see this, I have a question.

How do I get my photos to look like Queball does his? I have to change the resolution so much to fit the size constraints that the pictures end up being super low quality. I've read the picture tutorial several times, and must be missing something. Queballs seem bigger, and higher rez.

GrillinGlen:
Believe it or not I have never eaten veal, no reason other than being cheap.  Is the difference (between veal and beef) worth it?  I love a good meat ball so I would be willing to give it a try.

Free Mr. Tony:

--- Quote from: GrillinGlen on September 09, 2017, 02:41:47 PM ---Believe it or not I have never eaten veal, no reason other than being cheap.  Is the difference (between veal and beef) worth it?  I love a good meat ball so I would be willing to give it a try.

--- End quote ---

I pay about 9 dollars a pound for it, but when you only need a pound it's not a deal breaker. I think when it's The star of the show it's definitely worth it. Meatballs and veal Parmesan are usually when I use it. I've tried it in braised Italian sauces mixed with pork butt and Chuck roast. I don't really detect the difference in those applications,  but when it's all you are using it makes a difference.

It has a softer texture than beef to me. Even the lower fat content veal does not get tough like lean beef. It has a milder flavor than beef, but not so much so that it's a completely foreign flavor or anything.

Give it a try.

pz:
You had me at Panko - love the texture those bread crumbs give.

Looks great  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View