Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Pellet fired pizzas  (Read 1344 times)

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
Pellet fired pizzas
« on: September 28, 2018, 05:35:30 PM »

A thread was started by “BBL” about good pizzas, who doesn’t love a good pizza.
Thinking it’s worth asking if anyone has a GMG pizza oven.
I think I have “sat on the fence” long enough. I am pretty dang sure I want one, the problem with that is I know nothing about dough.
Made lots of pizzas on them but only conventionally.
Do I have to learn dough too?

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Pellet fired pizzas
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 05:45:14 PM »

Free Mr Tony, Bentley, gtsum2, LowSlowJoe, etc. all have dough recipes for pizza they like.  Hit them up.  You should be able to settle on something from them.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 06:08:00 PM »

I am NOT your guy for pizza dough, I use this flour and my modified directions on the side of it and I am always happy.  I like a thin, chewy pie and this creates it for me.  Half this package will make about 3, eight ounce pies.

Ingredients
3.5g Active Dry Yeast
500g Anna TIPO 00 Flour
1 tsp Cento Fine Sicilian Sea Salt
1 tsp Sugar
325g (about 1 1/4 cup) Warm Water
2 tbsp Cento Imported Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Mix flour and salt together and add to a mixing bowl. Create a well in the center and pour water into the well. Add the sugar and yeast to the water and mix within water. [add warm 110° water to kitchenaid mixer bowl, add sugar and yeast, let bloom] Gradually mix flour into the water in small increments and as the dough begins to form, take it out of the bowl and continue to work it by hand on a floured surface. If the dough is too sticky, add flour in small increments until the dough no longer sticks to your hands or the kneading surface. Knead the dough thoroughly in Kitchenaid  (10 minutes on low with dough hook) until it becomes smooth, then place a small amount of extra virgin olive oil on the bottom of a bowl and place the dough into the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, and leave it out until the dough has completely risen, about 15-20 [90] minutes. To tell if the dough is fully risen, make a small indentation in the center. If the indentation does not rise, the dough is ready. NOTE: This recipe yields one large pizza. It can be cut in half to make 2 smaller pizzas if desired. Make pie, cook and eat.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 06:13:28 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

yorkdude

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 06:09:24 PM »

Free Mr Tony, Bentley, gtsum2, LowSlowJoe, etc. all have dough recipes for pizza they like.  Hit them up.  You should be able to settle on something from them.
I didn't want to mention names but the same ones I was thinking of.
None in stock here it I think I am going to jump in, just hope I don't get "an I told you so".
Absolutely hate those.

yorkdude

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 06:11:19 PM »

I will look awful stupid cooking Totinos on it.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 06:35:38 PM »

Hey nothing wrong with that, jazz them up a bit and you are good. Or take it to the next level of Tombstone, DiGorno or Red Barron.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2018, 06:53:38 PM »

My wife and stepdaughter lived off those for years when you could get them for $1 or 4/$5.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

dk117

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 07:10:50 PM »

Have you had one recently?   Nearly inedible.   But with the price not much more than it was in the the 90’s I guess we get what we pay for.   

I do miss those party pizzas.

DK
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2004 Vermont Castings Natural Gas Grill

bregent

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2018, 07:46:32 PM »

>I use this flour and my modified directions
>on the side of it and I am always happy.

You could probably save your money and buy either bread or AP flour. Tipo '00' is very important if you're making Neapolitan pies at high temp, so the dough stays tender and doesn't burn. At regular oven or pellet grill temps, it's not helpful and may provide worse results. It can also be much more expensive.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2018, 01:11:26 PM »

Have tried regular flour many times, dont get the same texture at 650°!  Like I said, I don't know pizza dough, just know what I like.

You could probably save your money and buy either bread or AP flour. Tipo '00' is very important if you're making Neapolitan pies at high temp, so the dough stays tender and doesn't burn. At regular oven or pellet grill temps, it's not helpful and may provide worse results. It can also be much more expensive.

bregent

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2018, 05:59:38 PM »

Have tried regular flour many times, dont get the same texture at 650°!  Like I said, I don't know pizza dough, just know what I like.

Well, if you're happy with the results just go with whatever works for you. What type of texture are you going for?

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2018, 07:01:13 PM »

I am sure this probably be accomplished with other flours, with more or less kneading, etc...I just know the 00 works right out of the package with 10 minutes kneeing and 90 minute rise!

I like a thin, chewy pie and this creates it for me.

LowSlowJoe

• Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2018, 02:51:10 PM »

For me, good dough is more about developing a process/procedure to use in your home or restaurant...  I don't believe there is any magical formulation or specific flour that is needed...  at least nothing that will work well, without first developing a good procedure that works well for you.   What works well for me, might not work well for you. There are many variables , including how warm it is the day you make your dough, how warm it is the day you form the dough into a pizza crust...

I believe refrigerating your dough for at least 12 hours is a good thing...    but could go longer, like 24, 48, 36 hours.    How much  yeast you use, will come into play , depending on how long it will be in the fridge.

After you take it out of the fridge on the day you use it, how long it sits, before you use it, will play a big role in how easy or how hard it is to work with.  I've had dough that worked great if it sat out for 30 minutes, but was WAY to soft to work with if it sat out 45 minutes...   to me, this was one of the most frustrating things.   two dough balls made exactly the same way... I make one, it works great, make the other and it was very difficult to work with.

A guy who's family owns a pizza place in NJ gave me a recipe, and told me the process the use. When he told me this, I thought he was giving me a line of xxxx, because what he told me to do, was way different then anyone else had told me.  First, it started with a hydration of like 50%.  Many people recommend 60, or even as high as 63%.    He also told me , to let the dough sit out for about 45 minutes after it's been balled up, before it goes in the fridge.  This is slightly different then most.   Most cut off hunks of dough, form it into balls, put it in a proofing box, then in the fridge it goes...     He told me, to open the dough into a crust immediately upon taking it out of the fridge.. ( most dough is way to hard to work with straight out of the fridge... ).         I was sure he was pulling my leg, and didn't want to give up his family's secrets.

Well, I'm here to tell you, that that guy's methods and formulation worked GREAT for me.   I really liked that you kept it refrigerated, until just as you were ready to open the dough to make the pizza... this eliminated all the timing of how long it sat out on the counter, etc...     While I won't say this dough was the absolute greatest I ever made, it was VERY good, and was VERY easy to work with...  I can see why, if you were making hundreds of pizzas every night , this would be the way to do it....

Anyway, I don't have the exact formulation handy...   to some degree it doesn't matter.     You'll need to learn how to work with dough, find out what works for you, find a method that works, and do it the same way every time and you will make consistently good pizza dough.  If you can't do it the same way every time, you'll never get good at it.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 02:54:01 PM by LowSlowJoe »
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

LowSlowFoShow

• Administrator
  • Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • smoke em if you got em
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2018, 12:10:58 PM »

I buy frozen pizza dough balls from Resturant Depot.  They sell Lamonica's which was the "2011 Winner of San Francisco Chronicle’s Taster’s Choice panel for ‘Do it Yourself Pizza’".  Is it the best I have ever had? No, but its pretty dang good and zero preparation.
GMG Daniel Boone
GMG Pizza Oven
Don Godke's Downdraft
Meater Block

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2018, 12:16:22 PM »

I buy frozen pizza dough balls from Resturant Depot.  They sell Lamonica's which was the "2011 Winner of San Francisco Chronicle’s Taster’s Choice panel for ‘Do it Yourself Pizza’".  Is it the best I have ever had? No, but its pretty dang good and zero preparation.

What do you do with the frozen dough?  Roll it out to desired thickness, circumference, etc?  Tell me more about your process from when you pull it out of the freezer until you pull it off the smoker.  I am intrigued by this simply because I don't want to have to put the effort into experimenting and creating my own dough.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up