Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by ScottE on 09 Sep 2017
  • OK, this is so simple it's almost silly to post, but this is such an easy recipe that we do it quite a bit as there's really no preparation time. We use packets of dry Hot Wing spice mix, but do not prepare per the package directions. Instead, we use it as a rub and do this:

Ingredients:
    • 1 or 2 packets of Hot Wing spice mix
    • Chicken drumsticks

Preparation:

We have a large plastic bowl with a lid that is absolutely fantastic for distributing rub. Throw in a package of drumsticks and the Hot Wing packets. Put on the lid and shake-shake-shake until evenly distributed (I'll spare you any pictures or video of this bit, haha).

Cooking:

Throw it on the grill and cook however you prefer your chicken. That's it! :P

These are good with mashed potatoes - and note the end product is not very spicy (most of my family doesn't like spicy food), but they have good flavor and I'll usually dash on some southern-style hotsauce or spicy BBQ sauce for myself.
  • #2 by pmillen on 09 Sep 2017
  • "...the end product is not very spicy."  This appears to be perfect for most of my family for football game snacks.

What are the spice packets?  Label name and like that.
  • #3 by ScottE on 16 Sep 2017
  • Here's a couple of examples - the first one is what I found in the pantry, the second from a search - just look for things such as buffalo wing seasoning, hot wing seasoning, spicy wing seasoning, etc. There's a number of similar products, and I think any of them would be great.

Some of these products are a marinade mix - when we've got those, I just use the packets as a rub, instead of mixing with water per the instructions.

You are right these would be great for sports game snacks - there's not a lot of prep-time, drumsticks aren't too expensive, and are very forgiving to cook. For big family gatherings I've filled up the whole grill surface with them. They make a great snack, or a meal.

Pages:
Actions