Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Variable fan speed modification  (Read 2792 times)

ScottE

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Variable fan speed modification
« on: September 09, 2017, 03:22:46 PM »

I did this fan speed mod to my CS-450 to reduce airflow while smoking. I only use it when doing low-temperature smoking, and I do think it helps a bit. Ashes will build up in the pot faster - a few times during a cook, and at the end, I'll run the fan at full speed for a bit to help blow some of it out.

I did this two years ago right before a long smoke and never got around to straightening out the crooked cover. Ah well... :-/

RecTeq RT-1250. Formerly: CampChef SmokePro XT (w/ Savannah Stoker), Louisiana Grills CS450, Traeger 070.

Quadman750

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • North of the border
Re: Variable fan speed modification
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 03:26:34 PM »

You got more smarts than me, great idea.
Memphis Elite Memphis Pro Vision Kamodo Weber Performer Deluxe

LowSlowJoe

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Smoking out of southeastern Michigan
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 09:00:32 AM »

Interesting... For some reason I was under the impression that the Louisiana controller was PID based and I assumed that also meant they pulsed the fan speed... Does the controller not pulse the fan on those ?
Fast Eddy PG500, Traeger Texas, Traeger Junior, Traeger PTG, GMG Davy Crockett

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 09:14:48 AM »

Interesting... For some reason I was under the impression that the Louisiana controller was PID based and I assumed that also meant they pulsed the fan speed... Does the controller not pulse the fan on those ?

They are on 100%. You can change other parameters of manipulate smoke output,  but the fan is always on full bore.

ScottE

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 10:32:00 AM »

It is definitely a PID controller, but the fan speed is not controlled, depending on the version (the latest version does, as well as an older one, but not all).
RecTeq RT-1250. Formerly: CampChef SmokePro XT (w/ Savannah Stoker), Louisiana Grills CS450, Traeger 070.

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 12:15:33 PM »

It is definitely a PID controller, but the fan speed is not controlled, depending on the version (the latest version does, as well as an older one, but not all).

Good to know on the newer version. I didn't realize they changed the fan speed. I may need to upgrade soon anyways. I've been having some issues with my controller presses only working part of the time. They have always come around so far, but who knows how near the end they are.

Fire708

• Shelton!
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 11:34:37 AM »

I know the G.2 controller will reduce fan speed at lower temps. I'm not sure what the breakover is and I don't mess with it. I got my grill forgives out and don't wanna mess it up.

ScottE

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 10:59:04 AM »

Right, this modification is unnecessary with the G.2 controller. The default transition point for the fan with the G.2 controller is 275 degrees.

Both G.1 and G.2 controllers contain two profiles (sets of PID variables) - one for smoking, another for cooking. The transition set point to select which profile to use is 300 (G.1) and 275 (G.2). The G.2 fan speed transition point can be set separately, but by default it's the same as the cook/smoke transition.
Pages: [1]   Go Up