Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Declining Processed Cheese Sales  (Read 2989 times)

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Declining Processed Cheese Sales
« on: October 11, 2018, 11:32:40 AM »

A news article states that the sales of processed cheese declined 1.6% this year.  This is the fourth straight year of decline even though the the number of potential cheese eaters is simultaneously increasing.  Processed cheese, including brands like Kraft Singles and Velveeta, are a mainstay of delicacies such as cheeseburgers, macaroni and cheese, grilled cheese sandwiches and stadium nachos.

I'm still using Velveeta for cheeseburgers, macaroni and cheese and grilled cheese sandwiches.  What are you using and why?
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
Re: Declining Processed Cheese Sales
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 11:47:58 AM »

Anything but processed.  :(
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

texasbrew

• Using less gas.
  • Atascocita, Tx
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 11:51:10 AM »

Wow that is crazy about sales drops.  I still use Kraft singles for cheese burgers and grilled cheese.  I user Velveeta for mac-n-cheese, queso (Velveeta and Rotel), and  chili con queso (Hormel chili no beans and Velveeta).

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 12:36:10 PM »

We use mostly cheddar and jack but occasional buy american singles. But recently I've been using melting salts to make nacho cheese sauce and singles from smoked cheddar.

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 12:58:41 PM »

We use Kraft singles quite often for burgers & grilled cheese, we also though use other cheeses as well, just depends.
Velveeta for queso and also grilled cheese.
We eat a lot of cheese and many different kinds but don't think that we have cut back at all on processed?

MustangBob

• Using less gas.
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 01:24:45 PM »

We use mostly cheddar and jack but occasional buy american singles. But recently I've been using melting salts to make nacho cheese sauce and singles from smoked cheddar.

I'm guessing that the wider dissemination of knowledge and availability of cheese melting salts might be contributing somewhat to lower sales of storebought processed cheese.  People can easily make perfectly melting cheese singles and non-separating cheese sauces (for mac & cheese or nachos) at home now using your favorite cheese, whether it's aged or unaged cheese.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 01:43:16 PM »

American is my preference on Cheeseburger!  Velveeta in Mac n cheese & Grilled Cheese too!  Still like a sharp cheddar on most Mexican dishes cuz real Mex cheese here is not going to happen.  Most canned Nacho cheese, like the stuff they use at Taco Bell is disgusting!  If you take the time to make it with Velveeta and add some Ro*Tel to it, it harkens back to 1971 and Howard Co Sell!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 01:45:56 PM »

Wow that is crazy about sales drops.  I still use Kraft singles for cheese burgers and grilled cheese.  I user Velveeta for mac-n-cheese, queso (Velveeta and Rotel), and  chili con queso (Hormel chili no beans and Velveeta).

Pretty much the same here, but often I will use cheddar, pepper jack or Monterrey Jack for grilled cheese because I like the flavor better.  I will add other cheeses to a mac-n-cheese, but need that Velveeta for the smoothness.

There is a big convenience factor with processed cheese, but a better flavor factor with other cheeses.

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 01:53:59 PM »

I know that you can't live forever, but there are some things that we can do to improve our chances of survival. The following article is similar to one that I read decades ago and is the primary the reason that my response above was "anything but processed cheese".  https://www.thealternativedaily.com/processed-cheese-killing-you/   :2cents:
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 02:14:52 PM »

Apparently it is the millenial generation that isn't eating the product so as older folks dying off their consumption is not being picked up by the younger folks.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 03:04:09 PM »

I know that you can't live forever, but there are some things that we can do to improve our chances of survival. The following article is similar to one that I read decades ago and is the primary the reason that my response above was "anything but processed cheese".  https://www.thealternativedaily.com/processed-cheese-killing-you/   :2cents:

Yeah, another good reason to make your own. Homemade 'processed cheese food' contains only real cheese, whole milk, and a few grams of melting salts, and performs as well as Velveeta as far as melting, and tastes much better. The melting salts are generally considered safe at all of the 'heathy food' sites that I've seen them mentioned on.

I made it a few times Sous Vide, but last time I just used a heavy sauce pan and low heat and it worked just as well.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 04:15:56 PM »

Well, the latest in global climate change says we are all pretty doomed in about 12 years, so I say "Live it up now!" :cool:

ArborAgent

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Hank Hill would be so disappointed in me.
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 04:26:19 PM »

I make my own "processed cheese". I add sodium citrate to cheese to make it melt correctly. This approach lets me use better flavored cheeses (aged english cheddar anyone?) to use in burgers and mac and cheese.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/melty-cheese-slices
https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/nacho-cheese

Rec Tec Bull Blaze Gas Grill Weber Master Touch

dclord

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 04:36:08 PM »

Pepper jack, cheddar, or my favorite, crumbled blue cheese.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

GatorDave

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 05:18:21 PM »

I like to make cream of tomato soup, boil up some ramen noodles (throw away flavor pack) and put them in the soup, tear up a couple of slices of kraft american and add them to it as well.  Sooo tasty.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up