Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by pmillen on 11 Oct 2018
  • We use mostly cheddar and jack but occasional buy american singles. But recently I've been using melting salts to make nacho cheese sauce and singles from smoked cheddar.

I was about to go on an Internet search to see what melting salts are when ArborAgent posted the links.

Thank you, to both of you.
  • #17 by ArborAgent on 11 Oct 2018
  • Melting salts have changed the way I cook cheesy dishes. Mac and cheese is so much better this way!

https://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/silky-smooth-macaroni-and-cheese/
  • #18 by Bentley on 11 Oct 2018
  • I guess I am not into "strong" cheeses.  I prefer the flavor of Velveeta to most cheddar's!  But I am a big fan of Brie and Camembert!
  • #19 by SparkyLB on 11 Oct 2018
  • At risk of sounding like the dissenting snob here, processed cheese has never turned me on.  When refrigerated, that rubbery, plastic-like texture makes me turn my head.  Real American cheese from the deli at the supermarket has always tasted better to me.  Scrambled eggs and cheese, cheese burgers, mac and cheese all taste drastically more cheesy to me when made with real cheese. 

That processed stuff is oil and flavorings.  To each their own, I suppose.   
  • #20 by ArborAgent on 11 Oct 2018
  • This is why melting salts are so great. All of the flavor and it still  melts without separating.
  • #21 by Bar-B-Lew on 11 Oct 2018
  • Swiss and pepper jack are probably my favorites but any kind of cheddar with peppers in it is good too.
  • #22 by Darwin on 11 Oct 2018
  • What Sparky said.   It doesn't have to be expensive but it has to be real.

I save the fake stuff for flavoured potato chips.   :help:
  • #23 by GREG-B on 12 Oct 2018
  • If it's cheese, I'm in.  Tillamook cheddar is the best but I'm prejudiced, it's fairly local.  And a trip to the factory when we go to the coast is almost mandatory. :lick:
  • #24 by BC Buck on 12 Oct 2018
  • This is why melting salts are so great. All of the flavor and it still  melts without separating.

Would like to try. What brand did you use and where did you purchase from? Also do they have instructions on package.
  • #25 by Ralphie on 12 Oct 2018
  • Melting salts have changed the way I cook cheesy dishes. Mac and cheese is so much better this way!

https://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/silky-smooth-macaroni-and-cheese/

Is this the recipe you use?  Ever try a variation that would involve baking?  Would love to see one of these recipes make it to the recipe section.  This is intriguing and I'm in search of a silver bullet mac n cheese recipe for my family.
  • #26 by ArborAgent on 12 Oct 2018
  • Modernist cuisine at home has an entire chapter on Mac and cheese. One of their recipes is a bake recipe
  • #27 by bregent on 12 Oct 2018

Would like to try. What brand did you use and where did you purchase from? Also do they have instructions on package.

This is what I got: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013J69JMG/
    It comes with both citrate and hexa so it's a good way to try it and see if you like the results. Not every recipe I've seen includes the hexa.  In the long run, you are better off getting a larger amount of the sodium citrate as you use much more of that:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BLPNMYY
  • #28 by pmillen on 12 Oct 2018
  • Ever try a variation that would involve baking?  Would love to see one of these recipes make it to the recipe section.  This is intriguing and I'm in search of a silver bullet mac n cheese recipe for my family.

I just posted Mac and Cheese with Veggies in the recipe section.
  • #29 by Ralphie on 12 Oct 2018
  • PMillen, that looks outrageous.  Can't wait to try it!
  • #30 by BigDave83 on 12 Oct 2018
  • I have the sodium citrate now need the hexo.

growing up kraft singles were i the house all the time even velveeta , now can't stand the stuff most of the time, the GF likes both so it is still in the fridge abd she will make some stuff will velveeta I will eat. I love Brick cheese, especially if I find the salty kind, provolone, longhorn/colby, good amarican like land o lakes or a couple other brands but I am picky.
Pages:
Actions