Pages:
Actions
  • #46 by bregent on 22 Oct 2018
  • Easy Cheese contains milk, water, whey protein concentrate, canola oil, milk protein concentrate, sodium citrate, sodium phosphate, calcium phosphate, lactic acid, sorbic acid, sodium alginate, apocarotenal, annatto, cheese culture, and enzymes.

None of those ingredients looks particularly harmful, but you can make stuff that tastes better and spreads just as easy (sorry no aerosol can) with 100% real cheese, milk, and sodium citrate. Just sayin...
  • #47 by KNIGHTDAD on 22 Oct 2018
  • "Processed" has quite a broad and non-regulated definition.  Processed is generally accepted to mean either taken out of its original form somehow, or mixed with chemicals (usually to stabilize and lengthen shelf life).  The American cheese behind the deli counter, and swiss, and cheddar, and manchego, and others are considered by most NOT to be processed, but I think your statement above can be easily taken out of context.  When you say processed, you mean processed in what way?
    [/quote]

Processed in the manner that it can’t be called cheese. Under the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations American can not legally be labeled “Cheese” but it can be called “Processed cheese” or “Cheese byproduct”. Kraft can’t call theirs cheese because it contains less than 51% cheese, the deli block versions of American require additional processing and would be better called Blended.
  • #48 by BC Buck on 23 Oct 2018
  • I am not afraid to say...

That cheese is paying my bills. I manufacture about 40 million of those valves and caps on that can a year. :cool:
  • #49 by Bentley on 23 Oct 2018
  • 40 Million you say, not a very popular item ehh?    :pig:
  • #50 by MustangBob on 23 Oct 2018

• Need to give this a try. Going to find some Sodium Citrate on line today. Looking at your recipe this is what I take form it .Correct me if im wrong.

100% weight of cheese   16oz
    93% wipping cream   14.88oz
    4% liquid weight =.5952oz Sodium Citrate
    How do you measure that small amount of Sodium Citrate?

Your calculations are correct. 
    If you don't have a scale, here's an easy hack to use:  granulated sodium citrate weighs about 4.25 grams per teaspoon (which is equivalent to about 0.15 ounces per teaspoon).
    So in your example above, I would use 4 level teaspoons of sodium citrate (= .6 ounces).
  • #51 by BC Buck on 24 Oct 2018

• Need to give this a try. Going to find some Sodium Citrate on line today. Looking at your recipe this is what I take form it .Correct me if im wrong.

100% weight of cheese   16oz
    93% wipping cream   14.88oz
    4% liquid weight =.5952oz Sodium Citrate
    How do you measure that small amount of Sodium Citrate?

Your calculations are correct. 
    If you don't have a scale, here's an easy hack to use:  granulated sodium citrate weighs about 4.25 grams per teaspoon (which is equivalent to about 0.15 ounces per teaspoon).
    So in your example above, I would use 4 level teaspoons of sodium citrate (= .6 ounces).
    Sounds good will try. Easier than getting my gun powder scale out used for reloading.
  • #52 by TechMOGogy on 24 Oct 2018
  • I am not afraid to say...

That cheese is paying my bills. I manufacture about 40 million of those valves and caps on that can a year. :cool:

I liked the old caps better
    We can't get it here in Canada but anyone I know that goes to the US is programmed to seek and buy for me.
    I saved an old style cap :)

For me it also must be Sharp Cheddar but I could not find a good image of the can (did not really put much effort into it :) )
  • #53 by BC Buck on 24 Oct 2018
  • The caps keep getting changed to make them more tamper resistant. Kids where huffing the nitrous oxide gas out of whip cream cans. Stores telling us cans where not getting charged.
  • #54 by SurfAndTurf on 25 Oct 2018
  • I hope I did this link-y thing-y ok.

https://skillet.lifehacker.com/make-gooey-melty-slices-out-of-any-cheese-with-melting-1778257068

Campbell's Soup makes a cheese soup in a can that is easy to mix with a can of Rotel to make dip.
  • #55 by pmillen on 25 Nov 2019
  • #56 by BC Buck on 25 Nov 2019
  • Check out the melting salts calculator.
    Still working with melting salts and loving the results.
  • #57 by ZCZ on 25 Nov 2019
  • True cheese story. Had a friend who used to do over the road trucking. Had his own refer rig. Mostly he would haul back and from MN to TX (he could haul ice cream from MN to Dallas and his rig would be -20 F the whole way). Several times for a load back they would send him over to Clovis, NM and pick up cheese AND HAVE HIM HAUL IT TO WISCONSIN. I kid you not.
    As Paul Harvey used to say: “And now you know . . . the rest of the story.”

Z
Pages:
Actions