Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by jgrayson on 09 Nov 2018
  • Hello,

I had a feeling there was something fishy about the how even the temperature was in the FireCraft with the RecTec  controller.  I ran my test on Wednesday using the iGrill as a second measurement.

First I ran the smoker at 180, next 225, and finally at 350. Here are the results.

RecTec Report/iGrill Report

[ Invalid Attachment ]       [ Invalid Attachment ]

So, I was correct that the RecTec does not show the temperature swings.  The iGrill showed that to be the case.  Anyway, temperature swings make sense.  Pellets are fed to the fire, and it gets hotter.  Over time it cools down, and the cycle is repeated.  What doesn't make sense is the temperature difference between the two.  The iGrill always measured a temperature much lower than the RecTec.  I realized at the conclusion of my test that the tip of the temperature probe attached to the iGrill was in contact with the side wall, and that could be why the reading was consistenly low.

I don't know if I will repeat the whole test.  I have moved onto cooking with the FireCraft again.  Chicken was great on Wednesday after I ran the test, and pork loin tonight!
  • #17 by Bentley on 09 Nov 2018
  • Seems like it runs a little low of the set point?  Not bad swings over time...
  • #18 by jgrayson on 13 Nov 2018
  • I had the FireCraft running this weekend, and decided to work on securing the RecTec controller.  The original controller was mounted using two nut and bolt combinations.  The RecTec controller is about 1/2 an inch shorter, so you are unable to secure the right and left sides of the controller without additional effort.  I decided to use the nut and bolt on the left side because that's where the side cover comes off providing access.  I considered building a bracket out of plastic or metal to hold the right side, but then it occurred to me that I should follow the KISS principle.

I grabbed a small block of wood, and two small pan head screws.  I didn't do any measuring, so the block of wood might be 4 inches long, 2 inches wide, and 1 inch thick.  I held the block of wood in place inside the mechanical area of the smoker.  The first screw went into the screw hole in the side plate of the smoker, and into the wood block.  This secured the wood to the FireCraft.  The second screw went through the hole in the controller and then into the wood block. 

It's not perfect, but it cost me no additional money, and seems to be more that adequate.  Here is the finished picture.  I have a feeling I am done with this project unless some problem comes up that needs to be fixed.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

• #19 by Yellow-03 on 13 Nov 2018
  • Looks like some simple engineering to overcome your mounting issue.  What's up with the LCD panel above the left-most 225?
  • #20 by jgrayson on 13 Nov 2018
  • Looks like some simple engineering to overcome your mounting issue.  What's up with the LCD panel above the left-most 225?

I think there is a protective strip of plastic covering the faceplate.  I need to confirm that, and remove it if that's all it is.
  • #21 by caldersm44 on 15 Nov 2018
  • I own a Rec Tec Trailblazer with the wifi controller...and I own an Akorn which have written code to control temperature with an Arduino type chip and PID algorithms.

Two things:
    1.  Yes...that is a protective plastic coating...it just peels off.

2.  There is a HUGE difference between monitoring a temperature and controlling a temperature.   In order to control a process temperature as noisy as a pellet system has with both fire and fan control....you have to filter the input temperature, so your PID controller does not swing, or else you will have to dampen your control to the point of sluggishness.  I believe, based on my experience with the Akorn and at work (EE here) that the Rec Tec does a fantastic job of controlling a very difficult process, while still reporting a reasonable and reliable temperature measurement.   You can tell I am impressed with it for sure...!!  LoL....I just could not get this control on low temps due to burning lump charcoal....it liked to be about 275 or higher for sure.

Anyway....Just my thoughts on why the iGrill might seem more attentive to an exact temperature...vs a more filtered control signal.  But am glad you got the Rec Tec....it should serve you well.!

• #22 by jgrayson on 19 Nov 2018
  • Anyway....Just my thoughts on why the iGrill might seem more attentive to an exact temperature...vs a more filtered control signal.  But am glad you got the Rec Tec....it should serve you well.!

Thanks for the additional information.  I'm fairly novice with temperature controls, but a long history with IT systems.  I just didn't find the stable temperature control very believable because there wasn't much variation at all.  Hence the test with the second temperature probe connected to a separate device. 

For my long-term needs I don't care about temperature variance.  I know a lot of people on the old site seemed bothered by temperature swings, but I have never been bothered by it.  In my opinion, the machine is a smoker and a smoker needs to have temperature swings to produce more smoke.

I am thrilled that the RecTec controller was that easy to install and get working in the FireCraft machine.  When the FireCraft controller failed, I had a sick feeling in my stomach about the $800 I had spent being lost in less than a year.  With the RecTec controller, I believe the life span of this machine was greatly expanded.  Honestly, if the RecTec (or other manufacturers controllers) couldn't bring this FireCraft to life, I would have been hauling the FireCraft to the dump and replacing it with another unit.  Thankfully I don't need to have that conversation with my wife.
  • #23 by Yellow-03 on 19 Nov 2018
  • Just curious if you repeated your test for a short while with a relocated iGrill probe.  I recall you mentioning in your first test it was in contact with the side wall, and you suspected that impacted your measurements.  Was wondering if you now find the reported temps more closely aligned with the iGrill or still offset by some factor.
  • #24 by Mikro on 23 Nov 2018
  • just went to start my Q450 up and the controller went nuts. I cannot adjust temp at all. and flashing then stops. Sounds like time to find a new one. From this thread it sounds like the REctec contoller will work??? Do I need to change the RTD for a Rectec RTd or will the Q450 RTD work.

MK

edited to add: ordered mine Black Friday deal , $89.19 shipped
  • #25 by RanrocSmoker on 27 Nov 2018
  • edited to add: ordered mine Black Friday deal , $89.19 shipped

Is that price for the latest one with Wi-Fi? If so, that’s a great deal I think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • #26 by Mikro on 27 Nov 2018
  • edited to add: ordered mine Black Friday deal , $89.19 shipped

Is that price for the latest one with Wi-Fi? If so, that’s a great deal I think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    yeppers, wifi and 2 meat probes
  • #27 by jgrayson on 27 Nov 2018
  • just went to start my Q450 up and the controller went nuts. I cannot adjust temp at all. and flashing then stops. Sounds like time to find a new one. From this thread it sounds like the REctec contoller will work??? Do I need to change the RTD for a Rectec RTd or will the Q450 RTD work.

Sorry to hear that your controller went kaput.  I guess the controller is proving to be a weakness of these machines.  I did not replace the RTD when I installed the RecTec controller. 
  • #28 by Bentley on 27 Nov 2018
  • Thank you for taking the time to share very valuable info!

I did not replace the RTD when I installed the RecTec controller.
  • #29 by Mikro on 28 Nov 2018

Sorry to hear that your controller went kaput.  I guess the controller is proving to be a weakness of these machines.  I did not replace the RTD when I installed the RecTec controller.
    Thanks JG for that info. Mine just arrived today. Unfortunately, It will be a while before I can install it. I have a severe back problem and surgery in 12 days.  Hopefully my Son-in-law has better luck with his Q450 and no problems
    Thank you again.
    MK
  • #30 by bucky919 on 03 Dec 2018
  • Did some ribs yesterday and noticed, it has a hard time getting under 250 degrees, I had it set to 225 and it just stayed at ~250. Didn't have time to play with the minimum feed rate, to see if that would change anything. Other than that no major issues, this is the first time ive tried a cook under 300.

I finally had time to play with the minimum feed, it was only 20 degree outside today, but did a bunch of deer summer sausage, yesterday ran it in low for 18 hours+ and ran at 180 the whole time, no issues.
Pages:
Actions