Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Canadian John on 14 Oct 2018

•  Sometime back I requested info on the subject and received several good tips. I went on to more research and testing that left me content with

the results. I can with almost 100% certainty, tear a sheet of foil straight, no tails or rough edges. Here is how I do it: Pull out the length of foil

required. Fold it over the serrated cutter 180º and using my index finger and thumb, pinch the foil at one end over the cutter and slide along the

cutter to the other end. Next, pull straight down. This should result in a clean tear... The science behind this is in order to tear off a section of foil,

it has to be bent and torn. If both are controlled, the tear is controlled.
  • #2 by hughver on 14 Oct 2018
  • Sounds good but I've never had a problem just using the serrated edge.  :2cents:
  • #3 by pmillen on 14 Oct 2018
  • I agree.  I just squeeze the box to keep the roll from spinning and pull the foil against the cutting edge.  It tears straight and true.

Now!  Maybe someone can tell me how to keep the clear plastic stretch and cling wrap from clinging to itself and tangling.  Then, I can't make it cling when I try to cover a container.  It's maddening!
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 14 Oct 2018
  • I agree.  I just squeeze the box to keep the roll from spinning and pull the foil against the cutting edge.  It tears straight and true.

Now!  Maybe someone can tell me how to keep the clear plastic stretch and cling wrap from clinging to itself and tangling.  Then, I can't make it cling when I try to cover a container.  It's maddening!

Buy the large plastic wrap box that has the cutter on it.  You then pull the wrap over top what you want covered, and slide the cutter.
  • #5 by Canadian John on 14 Oct 2018

I saw a youtube video on the subject that appeared foolproof. I Can't find it...Memory says hold the box in left hand. Pull out plastic wrap

and let it hang down. Pull the wrap down from the far end holding both arms close to each other as possible so the wrap stays in contact with

the pulling arm over its entire width. When done, the top part of the wrap should have clung to your arm with the balance hanging straight down..

Now it's a matter of placing the wrap w/o clinging.. Clinging to me has almost always been contamination: water/damp, flour, oil etc.  :2cents:
  • #6 by jdmessner on 14 Oct 2018

• I saw a youtube video on the subject that appeared foolproof. I Can't find it...
    [/quote]

To quote the notorius villan Snidley Whiplash (when done in one more time by the hero of the Canadian Mounties, Dudley Do-Right):
    "Curses - Foiled Again!"
  • #7 by GatorDave on 28 Oct 2018
  • I have had a lot of experience with tearing foil.  Without a straight tear, it's tough to block out all of the mind control waves.

• #8 by yorkdude on 28 Oct 2018
  • CJ you say Aluminium foil and then plastic wrap. We have never had a problem with foil, plastic wrap isn’t fun. What one do you mean?
  • #9 by riverrat49 on 29 Oct 2018
  • I live on the edge there's a 50/50 chance you'll get it right... Eventually  :cool:
  • #10 by Canadian John on 29 Oct 2018
  • CJ you say Aluminium foil and then plastic wrap. We have never had a problem with foil, plastic wrap isn’t fun. What one do you mean?
    yorkdude: My last post was in response to the last part of pmillen's  post (above) that referred to both aluminum foil and plastic wrap.  The reference I made was to Plastic wrap..
  • #11 by yorkdude on 29 Oct 2018
    yorkdude: My last post was in response to the last part of pmillen's  post (above) that referred to both aluminum foil and plastic wrap.  The reference I made was to Plastic wrap..
    Gotcha, I can't make plastic wrap work consistently to save my life, foil I don't have a problem with.
    I do however have much better luck with the commercial rolls we buy at either Sams or Costco, but once they get near empty, if my wife isn't looking I throw them away, not enough weight in them to hold still.
Pages:
Actions