Pages:
Actions
  • #76 by Bar-B-Lew on 21 Mar 2021
  • It's possible it was melted provolone or some other kind of white cheese sauce.

Some of these places just have a huge pile of meat staying warm on the griddle on one side while they are cooking more on the hot side.  I remember being at Geno's or Pat's one time and it took about 10-15 seconds for them to hand me a sandwich after I ordered it.  I couldn't believe how fast it was, but that is the speed they need to work in order to keep the line flowing and the meat grilling.  They don't have time to melt slices of cheese as they are not making each sandwich from fresh sliced meat to each order.
  • #77 by 02ebz06 on 22 Mar 2021
  • You mean Whiz?  I know that is an option and is put on with a mustard stick, but that looked like melted Provolone he was putting on!

I agree.
  • #78 by Bentley on 22 Mar 2021
  • Your comments ring very true Lew.  Probably why our Cheese Steaks made at home taste so much better!
  • #79 by Bar-B-Lew on 24 May 2021
  • #80 by Bentley on 24 May 2021
  • If you have not read the article, this is the photo on it.  That might be the best looking steak sandwich I have ever seen!

I do not think I would care for the "Philly Taco"...

• #81 by Bar-B-Lew on 24 May 2021
  • look at all of that meat cooking on the griddle
  • #82 by Bentley on 26 May 2021
  • I found the Cheese Whiz comment interesting too!  Man, 2 days later an I remember...
  • #83 by Bar-B-Lew on 28 May 2021
  • https://6abc.com/best-cheesteak-in-philly-philadelphia-cheesesteak-who-has-the-jim-pappas/10683798/

I have not watched it yet, but figured I would share.  Nothing like a cheesesteak bracket to determine who has the best.
  • #84 by Bar-B-Lew on 19 Jul 2021
  • I am heading to Philly at the end of the month for a 4 day weekend.  I have several cheesesteak places on my list to try.  I won't get to all of them, but will hit several. I am going to have Pat's for breakfast on my first day as that is near some things I want to see (murals, historical markers) on my way up Broad St back toward the hotel in Center City.  I may be able to have one for lunch and dinner that day too.  I'm guessing 3-5 places while I am there.
  • #85 by yorkdude on 19 Jul 2021
  • Gotta ask this, do the “legit” places offer wet? If so, do they recommend it that way?
  • #86 by Bar-B-Lew on 19 Jul 2021
  • Gotta ask this, do the “legit” places offer wet? If so, do they recommend it that way?

If you are talking Italian beef, yes, almost everywhere I have had one you can get it "wet".  If you are talking cheesesteak, that is unheard of as there is no au jus to dip it into as the meat is cooked on the griddle and not roasted in a liquid like an Italian beef.
  • #87 by yorkdude on 20 Jul 2021

If you are talking Italian beef, yes, almost everywhere I have had one you can get it "wet".  If you are talking cheesesteak, that is unheard of as there is no au jus to dip it into as the meat is cooked on the griddle and not roasted in a liquid like an Italian beef.
    Yep, my mistake, for some reason brain fade.
  • #88 by Bar-B-Lew on 02 Aug 2021
  • Pat's King of Steaks

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #89 by Bar-B-Lew on 02 Aug 2021
  • Sonny's

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #90 by Bar-B-Lew on 02 Aug 2021
  • Campo's

[ Invalid Attachment ]
Pages:
Actions