Recipe Section > Beef

Low Slow Tri Tip

(1/3) > >>

okie smokie:
Decided to see if there is a low slow (brisket style) way of smoking a TriTip.  Found  recipe on one of the Traeger blogs.
1: marinate, 6 hrs or over night
2: light application of rub
3: Smoke on Traeger @ 225 for 4 hrs,
4: Foil with 1/2 cup water (why not beef broth?) and place back in smoker at 275 for 45 minutes. 
5:  Let it set for 20 minutes or so.
Another recipe called for using meat probe and pulling at 135-or at desired temp for doneness.  Personally I want to finish it like a brisket, so it will be higher internal temp. Hard part is to keep from drying it out since it has less fat than a brisket.  Will do the experiment at the end of this month.  I already have a 3+ lb TriTip in a vacuum pack with marinade from Morton. So will try this one first.  Going light on the rub since it is already marinated. Probably should rinse it before applying the rub.  Or should I just use brown sugar so I don't over season.  ????

Soldier17:
I can't wait to hear about the results. I do mine at 225 for 3 hours. I then wrap in foil and let it rest for 15-20 minutes. This results in a Medium tri-tip. I will have to try the water/broth trick next time.

okie smokie:

--- Quote from: Soldier17 on October 18, 2018, 06:38:41 PM ---I can't wait to hear about the results. I do mine at 225 for 3 hours. I then wrap in foil and let it rest for 15-20 minutes. This results in a Medium tri-tip. I will have to try the water/broth trick next time.

--- End quote ---
Suggest you wait till I try it and report.  My concern is that there are two possible extremes that could occur:
1. A hard hockey puck.
2. Or a rubbery wad of cooked to quick sirloin.   
My problem is that I don't like Tri Tip medium rare as most people do it.  Don't like the texture or taste of rare meat in general.  My favorites are good brisket, or really lean and tender roast beef with brown gravy. Steaks I like medium but that is the only cut that I prefer that way.  I savor more the Mailard effect on the surface, than the medium center. Not a big fan of prime rib for the same reasons.  We shall see.

Bar-B-Lew:
I did something similar here but finished with sous vide.

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=2271.0

Brushpopper:

--- Quote from: Soldier17 on October 18, 2018, 06:38:41 PM ---I can't wait to hear about the results. I do mine at 225 for 3 hours. I then wrap in foil and let it rest for 15-20 minutes. This results in a Medium tri-tip. I will have to try the water/broth trick next time.

--- End quote ---

I do mine the same way and we love how it turns out.  I use a water pan while cooking just for fun.  Not sure if it helps, but I figure it doesn't hurt.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View