Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Warped Heat Shield 070  (Read 1335 times)

smokin soon

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Warped Heat Shield 070
« on: October 20, 2018, 10:22:40 PM »

Mine has been warped since the first year of cooking 8 years ago, but keeps getting more twisted. Replaced the controller with an Ortech a couple of years ago and have been very happy with it. Last few cooks monitored with Tappeque have shown some really high spikes after a few hours. Ortech Tech Support sent a new RTD, same results. Looking at the heat shield again, it's raised up 1 1/2 in. or more. Always read that this has no effect on temps, but after replacing it everything back to normal. Temps are + or - 15 degrees.  Could it be too much heat escaping on one side or another, I really don't know.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Warped Heat Shield 070
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 01:06:55 PM »

Could you weld some angel iron braces to the drip pan to straighten and see if that helped the stability of temps?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 09:29:19 AM »

I bolted a 10 GA plate to my  drip tray several years back. It's still in use and flat as ever..I used 4, 1/4" stainless nuts and bolts for attachment...   Careful placement of the holes is in order as to assure no interference w/ the heat shield or anything else..... Mild steel, hot rolled sanded or ground clean is what I used... It also adds to the heatsink bank of the pit.

smokin soon

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 11:00:27 AM »

I ran across a guy that had bought a heavy duty one and never used it. After several cooks monitoring with Tappeque, problem solved. Still don't understand it though.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 12:37:42 PM »

Cool...
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 10:32:18 AM »

I ran across a guy that had bought a heavy duty one and never used it. After several cooks monitoring with Tappeque, problem solved. Still don't understand it though.
A major warp could allow for a higher air flow in the area of the elevated section of the drip tray making for more concentrated heat in that area and upsetting the controllers function.. To replicate using a flat drip tray, prop up a corner and try it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up