Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Just cooked a $98.00 piece of shoe leather.  (Read 722 times)

BC Buck

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Just cooked a $98.00 piece of shoe leather.
« on: October 23, 2018, 07:10:18 AM »

Dad went to a custom butcher shop and bought a 4 bone prime rib. Followed recipe direction of cutting off bone and tying up for even cook. Seasoned and put on smoker set at 225 deg. At internal temp of 115 seared meat to 131 internal temp. Looked good but not much beef flavor and had to be shave paper thin to be able to chew. Did I do something wrong?

riverrat49

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
Re: Just cooked a $98.00 piece of shoe leather.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 07:28:34 AM »

Your cook looks spot on for a Med Rare reverse sear, my guess quality of the meat. Not all butcher shops are equal and I tend to shy away from ones that heavily advertise "Package Deals" like 60 lbs of mixed cut beef along with chicken, burgers and hot dogs for $XXX per pound. I'm not saying all those places are bad, I just find the quality of the meat is generally not as good as you would expect. You might just want to check your thermometer for accuracy, especially if the meat leaned more toward Rare which could give you chewy meat.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 07:32:48 AM by riverrat49 »
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 07:46:07 AM »

We will often season very heavily with a good rub (Pappy's was great) and let it then sit for up to 24 hours with the seasoning on it before cooking, which can help with the flavor on the outside edges.  Did you let it rest before cutting?

We also have a recipe which calls for cooking for a while and then taking it off the heat for about an hour and then finishing. I like that recipe but I don't think Bent cares for it particularly.

urnmor

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 09:19:20 AM »

I agree with riverrat in that not all butchers are equal.  IMO some are butcher in name only as  they can not tell the source of their beef, how it is raised etc.

I am curious as to how long it took to sear the meat to 131 and at what temperate you used. I am thinking that you seared your meat to long.   As you state you started to sear at 115 degrees until it reached an internal temp of 131.  I ask only because searing IMO is done at high temperatures and for a short period of time.   So its it possible this resulted in the meat being tough. 

As to cooking prime rib on the grill I use a method recommended by Thomas Keller.  He uses a blow torch (you can get one at any good hardware store and they work so much better then the ones you fine in the gourmet stores.  His method is to hold the torch about one inch from the roast and turn to lightly brown the fat on all sides to star the rendering the fat and until the surface turns gray.  I then season with usually salt, pepper and maybe garlic and fresh herbs.  I cook it at 275 until the center reached my desired temperature normally around 128.   I have always found this method to brown the outside very nicely and the meat moist and tender.

sleebus.jones

• I like meat
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 09:24:13 AM »

Dad went to a custom butcher shop and bought a 4 bone prime rib. Followed recipe direction of cutting off bone and tying up for even cook. Seasoned and put on smoker set at 225 deg. At internal temp of 115 seared meat to 131 internal temp. Looked good but not much beef flavor and had to be shave paper thin to be able to chew. Did I do something wrong?

FWIW, I never cut the bone off and everything cooks just fine.  I've also cooked ones that were cut and tied, they cooked fine.  I also don't do a reverse sear, I do the traditional sear first, then cook slow.  I follow the method here and they turn out so perfect every time it's almost boring...which i'm ok with!

My results from a previous attempt:

I agree with riverrat49's question: how good is your thermometer?  The above picture was pulled at 125°, wrapped and rested for 20 mins for a 130° medium at finish.  Although reverse sear is not my preference, it should turn out good results also.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 04:16:51 PM by Bentley »
-=<Cookshack PG1000 | GMG Davy Crockett WiFi | GMG Jim Bowie WiFi | Cinderblock rev flow pit | Weber S-670>=-

dk117

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 09:57:14 AM »

blasphemy but here goes.   Prime Rib roast (bone on) belongs in the kitchen oven, not the pellet grill.

That is all.

DK

:D I like to use just Montreal steak seasoning, broil for 20 mins, finish at ... depending on the hurry, 325 or so.    Remove at 135.   Rest for 20 mins.   Slice a piece for the wife and pan sear and serve hers with au jus for well done. 

I just don't appreciate the smokey flavor on this specific dish. 
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2004 Vermont Castings Natural Gas Grill

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 10:11:41 AM »

What state of doneness were you striving for??   There is carry-over, temperature wise. The larger the piece of meat, the higher the carry-over. I would guess the internal temperature of your meat was a good 135º +, and that is if your thermometer was accurate. Then there is the question, was it probed in different locations to arrive at 131º?   It's such a bummer when things don't work out..There is always a reason..
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 10:21:46 AM by Canadian John »

bregent

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 12:06:43 PM »

Yeah, sounds like you did everything right and it was just a poor piece of meat. Was it USDA graded? 

Ross77

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 03:43:49 PM »

I like to cook to 125 and let it rest for at least 10 minutes.
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 04:44:55 PM »

I never got the cut bone off theory and am not a fan of reverse sear...but to answer your question, no.

Did I do something wrong?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

bregent

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 06:50:44 PM »

I never got the cut bone off theory and am not a fan of reverse sear...but to answer your question, no.

Did I do something wrong?

I think the theory is that the bone results in uneven temperature - causing some parts to cook faster than others. So if you cut it off the bone and then truss into a nice round shape, it cooks more evenly. In practice, I find it cooks plenty even without doing this.

Now, I do often cut off the bone and then tie it back onto the bone - that's just to make serving easier. But I don't think that's what BC was talking about.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 06:54:32 PM »

I guess I should have said I never subscribed to the cut the bone off method making it cook more even!

bregent

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2018, 06:55:25 PM »

I guess I should have said I never subscribed to the cut the bone off method making it cook more even!

I realized that's what you meant right after posting my reply - duh!

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2018, 06:56:30 PM »

Not your fault, it reads just as you described, I do not express myself well with the written word!

BC Buck

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2018, 07:11:31 AM »

Left it rest 15 min and color was perfect. I always double check all my temps using my ThermoPop. I think butcher sold us someones old saddle.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up