Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smoked Turkey and Smoked Sausage Gumbo-need ideas/recipes  (Read 290 times)

SurfAndTurf

• Using less gas.
Smoked Turkey and Smoked Sausage Gumbo-need ideas/recipes
« on: October 24, 2018, 01:57:02 PM »

We usually go quail hunting on Thanksgiving day and this year I volunteered to do kind of a Thanksgiving after-party for the kids and grandkids. My idea was that they will have had a "real" Thanksgiving with their mom and we (their dad and I) could have a sort of open house ish Thanksgiving. It's a struggle to get them all at the same place at the same time.

Knowing that there will be families arriving and leaving at different times, I thought I would do a gumbo as I can keep it warm for hours and it just gets better tasting. And I can do the rice in the instant pot and it will stay warm also. Because we will be hiking in the desert most of the day, I want something in one pot, fairly simple.

We are in AZ so it is likely to be a nice, crisp evening. I'm thinking outside dining with a bonfire and garlic bread and cold beer.

I have a go to chicken gumbo plan but I was curious about using smoked turkey legs and smoked sausage so I could pre do that on the pellet grill. This is a lot of words and backstory to request that if you have experience with smoked turkey legs or smoked sausage or even gumbo I would love to hear about it.

I did a quick google search and most recipes assume you buy your meats already smoked.

Thanks!
SurfAndTurf
SurfAndTurf

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Smoked Turkey and Smoked Sausage Gumbo-need ideas/recipes
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 02:26:56 PM »

I can't help with answers to your questions but I wanted to say that a family quail hunt and a gumbo dinner later would fit my son, grandson and me to a tee.  The women tolerate our departures from family norms.

Your quail are much larger than ours.  I've not hunted them because my Weimaraners, who are he!! on quail, don't know a thing about cactus and snakes.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

dk117

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 02:53:39 PM »

smoked turkey legs is one of my top 5 favorite to do on a pellet grill.  These result in a Disney or county fair like experience.   Brine for a few days and smoke 225 for up to 7 hours.   The dark meat can handle it, difficult to overcook.   Frankly I leave it at that.  Putting into a gumbo sounds like an adventure!   Good luck, I  suggest going to the butcher and ordering the giant turkey legs in advance.  They come frozen and are not always available at the grocery store.

DK
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2004 Vermont Castings Natural Gas Grill

SurfAndTurf

• Using less gas.
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 02:30:56 PM »

smoked turkey legs is one of my top 5 favorite to do on a pellet grill.  These result in a Disney or county fair like experience.   Brine for a few days and smoke 225 for up to 7 hours.   The dark meat can handle it, difficult to overcook.   Frankly I leave it at that.  Putting into a gumbo sounds like an adventure!   Good luck, I  suggest going to the butcher and ordering the giant turkey legs in advance.  They come frozen and are not always available at the grocery store.

DK
Thank YOU! Gives me some confidence.
SurfAndTurf

SurfAndTurf

• Using less gas.
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 02:37:07 PM »

I can't help with answers to your questions but I wanted to say that a family quail hunt and a gumbo dinner later would fit my son, grandson and me to a tee.  The women tolerate our departures from family norms.

Your quail are much larger than ours.  I've not hunted them because my Weimaraners, who are he!! on quail, don't know a thing about cactus and snakes.
Well of course you all are invited! It's an open house :)
Cactus and snakes are always a problem. The biggest problem has been drought and low quail numbers/high pressure.
You should try the Mearns in Southern AZ. Still small birds, but sticky tight and it is mostly grassy with few cactus.
Hmmm....smoked rattlesnake? Probably not.
SurfAndTurf
Pages: [1]   Go Up