Here's How I.... > Cook Everything Else (Pizza, Appetizers, Desserts, etc)

Dry Chili's...

(1/7) > >>

Bentley:
Never dried Chili's before, have some doubts.  Supposed to be in cool (hope that means between 55° & 65°), dark space, that is not an issue.  Most of my research showed running stringers through stem, that was not an option for me as I did not pay attention to it when I harvested them.  Also, all used cloth thread and a fine needle, which I did not.

So, I did pierce some of the chili's, obviously a fine hole, but if any blemish is going to lead to ulceration and decay I am screwed.  Any of you with experience, if I am doing something painfully obvious that is going to make this a fail, please post!  Will check them in 2 weeks!

From Right to Left--Jalepeno, then either Fresno or Chili Red, can't remember which, with a couple of Havasue. Then the Poblano, followed by more Havasue, mature and immature (1st freeze 2 days ago) and last the Serrano!  Looking forward to the Poblano's becoming Ancho's.  Should have taken some of the Jalapeno's and made Chilpotle's, but only had a few red, and to me ya need them!

Bar-B-Lew:
I thought the jalapeno turned red when it became a chipotle during the smoking process.

Bobitis:
I've never dried hot peppers, but this method leaves me wondering. Store them in a cool dark place (where mold thrives)?

Why not get a good dehydrator and do it without worries? If I had a garden and/or fruit trees, the dehydrator would be my 1st purchase. I have red and green bell peppers that were dehydrated 30 years ago and they're quite useable in soups, stews, etc.
They sit in a jar in the pantry with no issues at all.

Bentley:
This is a Jalapeno.  Also a couple of more red ones on there.  I was under the impression it is just late on the bush!

--- Quote from: Bar-B-Lew on October 24, 2018, 05:40:02 PM ---I thought the jalapeno turned red when it became a chipotle during the smoking process.

--- End quote ---

Bar-B-Lew:
according to wikipedia, you are right Bentley the red jalapenos are ripe on the bush and used for chipotles while the green ones are not ripe

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View