Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When I grow up, this is what I want to smoke and grill on.  (Read 1740 times)

RichW

• Using less gas.
  • St. Louis, MO
When I grow up, this is what I want to smoke and grill on.
« on: September 10, 2017, 12:05:56 AM »

The Kuma is what I think pellet grills that "just smoke" need to really try and achieve.  I have admittedly mimicked their heat shield design in my Smokin Bros. grill with a few changes to make this a one piece drop in and with the exception of drilling a hole for the heat shield slide, this mod can be made without any other grill mods.  My last three smoke cooks showed no heat spread issues until you get to the mandatory edge gap of the heat shield to the body.  The single heat shield / drip tray that funnels the runoff to the side ends is a thing of beauty in that most of the drips simply vaporize and never hit the bucket or pan.  When cooking up to the grills max temp I have the slide open and have not experiences any drip flaring to speak of unlike the blazes I have had on gas grills.  A side benefit to having the slide open to the burn pot during warm up I can cut the warmup to 225 deg. down to about 5 min.  With the slide closed it take at least twice as long.  Didn't want to post a link or pictures of the Kuma but its worth a look if you need a little more versatility with a simple design to boot.  I have posted my mod in the Smokin Bros. for those who have an interest.
Smokin Bros Premium 24

riverrat49

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
Re: When I grow up, this is what I want to smoke and grill on.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 05:21:22 AM »

Kuma's are really nice, had the opportunity to get a good look at these when Jack Freeman was competing.
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge

Queball

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 09:48:32 AM »

Why don't you post some shots of what you did with your cooker. Others can learn something, if they have the same cooker and desire to do so.

RichW

• Using less gas.
  • St. Louis, MO
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 11:39:35 AM »

Here are the mods
Smokin Bros Premium 24
Pages: [1]   Go Up